• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Ring Volume Zero = System Volume Zero ???

I'm not sure if this is app related or phone related.

Using a selection of volume control apps (Volume Control for example) I have found that if I reduce the Ring volume to zero then the System (and hence Alarm) volume drops to zero also. This might explain some missed alarms I've been getting. As soon as the ring volume is greater than zero then the System volume returns to 100% and Alarm to it's previous setting.

What's up with that ?

When you set the ring volume to zero (by pressing down on the volume rocker past vibrate, the phone gets put in silent mode. Try going into Settings>Sound>Silent Mode and messing around with those settings. I'm not in an environment where I can do that right now, but you should be able to open up the Volumes menu and drag your "Ringtones and Notifications" volume down to zero without going into silent mode.

Upvote 0
Ahh, solved it.

Firstly I use Gentle Alarm and there is no silent mode related setting there, but I found that inside the standard alarm settings is "Alarm In Silent Mode", this was unchecked. Now Gentle Alarm works find in silent mode. No idea what the default is for that field or when/if I unchecked it. Settings and Volume Control apps all work as expected now.

Now I can just be frustrated about the Ring and Notification volumes being linked

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones