• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ringtone/Notification- My Tones aren't showing up!

Hey there! Anyone who can help, I'd love you forever!

I'm trying to set some mp3s as a 1)Ringtone and 2)Notification. Here's how far I've gotten:

1. I mounted my Hero to my computer.
2. I have the media folder with the files of RINGTONES, NOTIFICATIONS.
3. I have the mp3s that I want, in EACH folder.
4. Unmounted the Hero.

Now I'm lost, because I went to my settings to set a default ringtone for my phone calls, and they are not showing up. The only ones showing up are the ones that came with the phone. The same thing is happening for my notifications.

I'm pretty illiterate when it comes to this kind of stuff, so if there is anyone out there with the patience to help me out step-by-step, please HELP! :?

<3 Angel

Peter- I did figure out how to do that, but the ringtones I want aren't in my music player. I downloaded the mp3 from a website, for example, the intro to the tv show Heroes is what I had as my notification tone before, and I also had the theme song for the tv show Dexter as my ringtone. So, I downloaded them from an alternative site, and I was just trying to put them in my folders like everyone else has been doing, but they just weren't coming up.

Griever- I made all 3 folders, and put the 3 mp3's in every folder, and restarted my phone, and it worked! So idk what folder it's really coming from, but I dropped the mp3's in all 3 just to be safe. haha. Thank you! I now have the dexter ringtone and the heroes text tone again! woooo!

<3 <3 <3 Angel

Upvote 0
Peter- I did figure out how to do that, but the ringtones I want aren't in my music player. I downloaded the mp3 from a website, for example, the intro to the tv show Heroes is what I had as my notification tone before, and I also had the theme song for the tv show Dexter as my ringtone. So, I downloaded them from an alternative site, and I was just trying to put them in my folders like everyone else has been doing, but they just weren't coming up.

Griever- I made all 3 folders, and put the 3 mp3's in every folder, and restarted my phone, and it worked! So idk what folder it's really coming from, but I dropped the mp3's in all 3 just to be safe. haha. Thank you! I now have the dexter ringtone and the heroes text tone again! woooo!

<3 <3 <3 Angel

so you know

alarms - this folder will put tones in your alarms menu
ringtones - as it says on the tin this will add songs to your ringtone menu
notifications - this will add tones to your message tones

please remember anytime you add new songs you HAVE to restart your phone. Newly added tones won't appear till the phones been restarted.

Upvote 0
You guys just saved my DAY. I've been pulling out my hair trying to figure this out same problem as kruegernerd.

Thanks griever for mentioning that:

alarms - this folder will put tones in your alarms menu
ringtones - as it says on the tin this will add songs to your ringtone menu
notifications - this will add tones to your message tones

please remember anytime you add new songs you HAVE to restart your phone. Newly added tones won't appear till the phones been restarted.

Upvote 0
Play the track you want to use on the default music player. Whilst playing hit the menu button and then choose set as ringtone. I think it works with other music player too - it does with MixZing for example.
You dont want to do that because then the ringtone goes into internal memory and cannot be deleted unless phone rooted. If you do the above you will be able to add and delete to your hearts content.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones