• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ringtones and newbie stuff

Hello, I am brand new to the Eris and I'm not sure where to begin.

For instance, I want to add a ringtone to my phone, but can't figure out how. I have the sound file I want to use (since I found that all the sound on the phone is in .mp3 or .ogg, I saved it in both formats), but I can't seem to get the phone to mount in either Windows (Vista Home Premium x64) or Linux (Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope x64).

So I tried sending it to my gmail account, but I can only "preview" the attachment, I can't find a way to save the music file on my phone (I have the standard 8GB microSD card).

Can anyone help me figure this out, and perhaps direct me to a guide for newbies like me so I don't make a fool out of myself asking questions?

Thanks! :)

Thank you, I will do that!

So I just copy the .mp3 onto the card in any place I like?

(By the way, will I cause problems by inserting/removing the SD card while the phone is on?)
I'd recommend unmounting the SD Card from the Settings menu before removing it.
If I recall, you can put the MP3s in any place on the card.

Upvote 0
Thank you, I will do that!

So I just copy the .mp3 onto the card in any place I like?

(By the way, will I cause problems by inserting/removing the SD card while the phone is on?)

Download a program called "Double Twist"

This will easily allow you to drag and drop photo's, video's, and music onto your Droid Eris' SD Card. For this to work you must;

a.) plug the Eris into the computer with the USB cable
b.) Pull down the notification tap; and press "USB Connected"
c.) This will prompt you with an option to "Mount" The SD card. Do it.
d.) Open up Double Twist, and just like an iPod in iTunes, DoubleTwist lets you manage your music and photo's and videos.

Once the files are on your phone, just fire up Ringdroid. Keep in mind you can set a default ringtone, and then individual ring tones for groups/individual contacts :).

Don't forget to use the search function, and take a look back a few pages to the topics we've had over the past few weeks. You'll learn a lot about your phone :D.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones