1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

ringtones to notifications?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by spnewb, Aug 13, 2012.

1. spnewb

spnewb Lurker

hello all, i was wonderin how i use my ringtones that i have saved on my my music app and use them as a notification alert, so i dont have to keep listenin to "droid" everytime someone txts me? any one know how to change that? this smartphone stuff is new to me. thanks for the help y'all.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. cbreze

cbreze Android Enthusiast

I use "ring droid" a playstore free app. It lets me edit and then save in any file.

3. zoxxo

zoxxo Android Enthusiast

I guess that begs the question: how does the android system differentiate a ringtone from a notification? Is it directory based, or is there some other method for sorting out the tones?

4. spnewb

spnewb Lurker

on my old phone i would just save the sound as a ringtone and i could use it as either a ringtone or a txt message alert. and how does that app work? i try not to get apps that sit there and want to watch who calls u or who you call and stuff. im pretty protective of it since i dont have any anti virus stuff for it yet. which i need to get.

5. narayanan9190

narayanan9190 Android Enthusiast

i tried this a couple ah times in my native settings section and couldnt find a work around...i use go sms pro which is very secure and it allows me to assign any sound to anyone and also let u have more power for differentiating between a notification and a ringtone !

6. taghag

taghag Member

You would go to the contact you wish to designate a ringtone for, click the menu key and select "Set ringtone".

I like narayanan9190 use a third party SMS app to assign ringtones and SMS tones (I use Handcent). I have all my ring/text tones saved to my card so I use Handcent to find them there and assign.

7. DroidAbuser

DroidAbuser Member

I think it may be directory based but not 100% sure....all I do know is I have my phone set up the following way and never have an issue distinguishing between a notification and ringtone:

Saved to SD card / Media / Audio / Ringtone
    Saved to SD card / Media / Audio / Notification
    Saved to SD card / Media / Audio / Music
    Saved to SD card / Media / Audio / Alarms
    etc.......

If you follow that path above you should not have any issues:)

8. spnewb

spnewb Lurker

How do i set that up? Meaning how do i set it to save everything to my sd card?

9. DroidAbuser

DroidAbuser Member

Go to "My Files" (File Manager) select SD Card and start setting up the directory.....as described above:)

10. taghag

taghag Member

I just unmount the card from the phone and put it in the laptop and drag the files over to the card. :)

11. techbullets

techbullets Lurker

Regarding the antivirus...i'm using avast on my rooted mobile and activated the firewall.
    You should try it.

12. MasterGadgets

MasterGadgets Well-Known Member

+1 for Avast. Works great!

Motorola Droid RAZR Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews