• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ringtones

I think i know what you're talking about. There is a certain folder structure you need for the android OS to pick up custom ringtones and notification tones.

It goes as follows:

media/audio/ringtones (This one is for ringtones)
media/audio/notifications (This one is for notifications)

Setup the folders like that and you will be able to see your custom ringtones in the list. I have attached a couple of screenshots to show you exactly how it needs to be in order to work.

Attachments

• Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    14.6 KB · Views: 60
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    17.8 KB · Views: 44
Upvote 0
To the OP,
It sounds like you are actually able to get as far as selecting that ringtone and assigning it to the contact. Am I correct in this? If so, it shouldn't be a matter of location at all (since the OS is finding the ringtone and setting it to begin with). Are you able to actually listen to the ringtone when you click on it (does it atually give you an audible sample)?

Upvote 0
To the OP,
It sounds like you are actually able to get as far as selecting that ringtone and assigning it to the contact. Am I correct in this? If so, it shouldn't be a matter of location at all (since the OS is finding the ringtone and setting it to begin with). Are you able to actually listen to the ringtone when you click on it (does it atually give you an audible sample)?

d/l ringtone light

Upvote 0
I have downloaded three ringtones and none of them currently play what they are supposed to. They play a default tone whether they are set as the ringer or if they are selected directly from the ringtone list. How can I fix this?
Ringtones or notifications? If it's the latter, which app(s)? Where are you specifying the tones?

I think i know what you're talking about. There is a certain folder structure you need for the android OS to pick up custom ringtones and notification tones.

It goes as follows:

media/audio/ringtones (This one is for ringtones)
media/audio/notifications (This one is for notifications)
It's the folder names, not the folder structure. E.g. my Ringtones and Notifications folders are not under an Audio folder.

However, the OP seems to indicate that he can pick ringtones, just his settings are not respected.

Upvote 0
To the OP,

I don't select different ring tones for different contacts. I just notice that in the list of ring tones, you need to actually add custom ring tones to the list before you can select the ring tone.

Once you added the ring tone to the list, when you select the ring tone, it will play it. You can then select others and it will play those. It will save it only when you tap on <Apply>.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones