• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I downloaded a song to my motox can I make it a ringtone?

Any MP3, AAC or Ogg Vorbis file can be made into a ringtone simply by copying it into a folder in storage called "ringtones". It can be /ringtones or /media/ringtones or /foo/bar/ringtones - well, you get the picture.

If you want it to be a notification tone, make the folder name /notifications and, if you want it to be an alarm, make it /alarms

Any files in those folders will be included in the tone picker when you look to choose a ringtone/notification tone/alarm tone.

You can use a third party app like ES File Explorer to do this right on the phone, or do it from your computer if you are tethered.

Upvote 0
Any MP3, AAC or Ogg Vorbis file can be made into a ringtone simply by copying it into a folder in storage called "ringtones". It can be /ringtones or /media/ringtones or /foo/bar/ringtones - well, you get the picture.

If you want it to be a notification tone, make the folder name /notifications and, if you want it to be an alarm, make it /alarms

Any files in those folders will be included in the tone picker when you look to choose a ringtone/notification tone/alarm tone.

You can use a third party app like ES File Explorer to do this right on the phone, or do it from your computer if you are tethered.

Thanks very much for the reply. I have never had an android cell, this is all new to me. Would you explain the procedure of copying to ringtone, I have gone into ringtones, but do not see a copy option

Upvote 0
Thanks very much for the reply. I have never had an android cell, this is all new to me. Would you explain the procedure of copying to ringtone, I have gone into ringtones, but do not see a copy option

Just like you would on a computer hard disk you have to create a folder called "ringtones" and then copy or move that downloaded music file from your /downloads folder to the ringtones folder that you created (or to one that's already there; it's possible it already exists.)

When you connect your phone to your computer I believe it connects as an external disk drive, like a thumb drive (I don't use windows computers, so I may have that wrong) and you should be able to make the folder and copy/move the music file to that folder from your computer. Or, again, you can use an app like ES File Explorer on the phone itself to do it. You do need to install a third party app to do it on the phone - I believe there are no utilities that allow you to manipulate files and folders on a Moto X.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones