1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Ringtones

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by durkinjt, Oct 9, 2014.

1. durkinjt

durkinjt Lurker

I downloaded a song to my motox can I make it a ringtone?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. BRAINZ2013

BRAINZ2013 Extreme Android User

Hello and welcome to the forums. Can I ask are you rooted

3. doogald

doogald Extreme Android User

Any MP3, AAC or Ogg Vorbis file can be made into a ringtone simply by copying it into a folder in storage called "ringtones". It can be /ringtones or /media/ringtones or /foo/bar/ringtones - well, you get the picture.

If you want it to be a notification tone, make the folder name /notifications and, if you want it to be an alarm, make it /alarms

Any files in those folders will be included in the tone picker when you look to choose a ringtone/notification tone/alarm tone.

You can use a third party app like ES File Explorer to do this right on the phone, or do it from your computer if you are tethered.

4. durkinjt

durkinjt Lurker

I am not sure what rooted is.

5. durkinjt

durkinjt Lurker

Thanks very much for the reply. I have never had an android cell, this is all new to me. Would you explain the procedure of copying to ringtone, I have gone into ringtones, but do not see a copy option

6. doogald

doogald Extreme Android User

Just like you would on a computer hard disk you have to create a folder called "ringtones" and then copy or move that downloaded music file from your /downloads folder to the ringtones folder that you created (or to one that's already there; it's possible it already exists.)

When you connect your phone to your computer I believe it connects as an external disk drive, like a thumb drive (I don't use windows computers, so I may have that wrong) and you should be able to make the folder and copy/move the music file to that folder from your computer. Or, again, you can use an app like ES File Explorer on the phone itself to do it. You do need to install a third party app to do it on the phone - I believe there are no utilities that allow you to manipulate files and folders on a Moto X.

7. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Extreme Android User
    VIP Member

You can also use an app like Ringdroid, that let's you cut a snippet of the song if you don't want to use just the beginning. It's super easy to use and does a good job. When you are finished you can then copy your new ringtone/notification to your PC so you'll always have it.

Motorola Moto X (1st Gen) Forum

The Motorola Moto X (1st Gen) release date was August 2013. Features and Specs include a 4.7" inch screen, 10MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon S4 Pro processor, and 2200mAh battery.

August 2013
Release Date
Reviews