1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

RIP Robin Williams, 63

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by rootabaga, Aug 11, 2014.

1. !on

!on Android Expert

Really sad about it. But strangely not 100% surprised. Even from watching Mork & Mindy, he seemed to have that 'happy / sad' face. Almost like that of a tearful clown. Now I dunno if there was a reason for that or that was just his facial expression. I would like to think it was just his expression as he had kept going for a long time. It would make me feel more sadness to learn otherwise especially as he was seemed such a nice bloke. RIP legend :( .

Advertisement

2. Techlord

Techlord Android Enthusiast

Yes I noticed this as well. When I saw the commercials for it before it debuted he gave me that vibe of sadness covered by smiles. I could tell right away that he was depressed. I could tell that the show was not going to do well. It looked like he wasn't happy doing the show. Weird thing is that the night before he died I was talking to my brother about suicide and how some people can't deal with the pressures of life. Another more weird thing is that I have the same birthday as him :thinking:

3. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog

Really have tried to stay away from this thread as it is a sad thing. However being a Chronic Depressive I think maybe it is important for people to understand just how devastating this disease is. It does not discriminate. Everyone is susceptible to this disease. To many times in life I have heard people say just get over it and really there is no just getting over it. So many talented people have suffered and died at the hands of this disease. Just because you have not or do not suffer from this does not make it any less real for those who do. It's like denying alcoholism exist just because your not an alcoholic. Depression at any stage is a very serious condition and should be treated not only with kindness but with respect and dignity. I can remember more than once in my own life that people just did not or could not understand what I was/am going through. Everyday is a battle just to get up and face the day. Bad things happen to us all but some of us are not as well equiped to deal with them as others. If any good comes out of this tragedy then I hope that its the awakening of just how serious this disease is and how crushing it is for those of us who suffer from it. Depression Kills all signs of hope that one normally fosters. And when you loose hope you loose the battle. Please do not tell someone who is depressed to get over it instead show them that no matter what is going on in your own personal life that you are willing to take the time to be there for them and to help guide them to a healthy state of being. But just like alcoholism depression never goes away it only lies dormant for awhile and if not consistently taken care of it will again rule the very depths of your soul until it kills you.

For anyone who suffers from depression I urge you to please seek help. If it was not for a very special lady in Australia I would not be writing this today. No she is not a doctor just a friend and we all need that one friend in our lives to help us to maintain some kind of balance with our disease. So please reach out to someone and continue reaching until someone grabs you NEVER GIVE UP.

4. jack58

jack58 Android Expert

Not on this bandwagon... I watch a lot of TV, but never saw ONE of his movies.
    Now, James Garner, I watched... more my style, not the corny stuff.

5. rootabaga

rootabaga Extreme Android User

Arg, the only positive I see coming from Robin's suicide is that people are talking about this dread disease we call depression.

Sadly, social media is peppered with lots of spitting matches about depression and suicide in the wake of the news about Robin Williams. It's amazing to me that people can be SO judgmental about something they don't understand fully...particularly when NO ONE can understand every case of depression. It's not like an infection, where you put someone on an antibiotic for ten days and it's done. There are myriad kinds of depression, and they can manifest themselves quite differently in different people, and what works to treat one type in one person may not work (and often doesn't) in others.

Thank you for being brave enough to talk about your own situation and for sharing it here. The only way we ever get past the stigma associated with it is to talk about it openly and quash the ignorance.

I wish you the very best, Arg. And please take your own advice: keep fighting and never, ever give up. There is absolutely only one you and the world needs you. Be at peace.

Kaat72 likes this.
  6. rootabaga

7. huh

huh Android Expert

I have lost 5 friends in the last five years to suicide.. a colleague of mine just lost her 24 yr old son last week....and a week before that a high school Lacrosse player that my husband knew....it's an epidemic...that has gone untreated, misunderstood and overlooked...for far too long..it needs to change

i guess I have nothing else to say...

8. rootabaga

PBS ran a special episode of its "Pioneers of Television" tonight: Robin Williams Remembered.

I am swyping this through tears. Beyond his staggering talent, he was an amazing guy.

I knew that, but I don't think I really appreciated it fully.

The tributes and comments by so many were deep and touching.

Check your local listings to see when it may be rebroadcast in your area. If they put it up on their site for online viewing (this series usually does not) I'll post a link.

RIP, Robin. If only you could have somehow really felt all the love for you, maybe that would have made the difference.

Techlord likes this.
  9. Techlord

Techlord Android Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. I will definitely watch it.