• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rise won't connect to wifi at work

gogomouse1

Feb 7, 2012
So I bought a Rise back in December. Not a bad phone for the price.
But there is a huge problem- the phone can't/won't connect to the wifi at my work. It connects at home, and on public wifi with no problems. But at my work, it keeps going back and forth between "searching" and "connected" non-stop. I've asked my boss to reset the router- no luck. I did a factory reset to my phone- no luck. I called Virgin Mobile tech support- no luck. The woman actually said that my phone "isn't compatible" with my work's router (it's a Linksys model).

So what now? Has anyone else encountered this problem? Should I send my phone back for a replacement? I can't ask my boss to do anything else with the router- my job doesn't really require using internet, and they tolerate us checking email, Facebook, etc. while at work, so I'm not going to make a big issue on their end. It's a publicwifi for our customers to use, and I've brought my daughter's phone with me one day, just to see if it connects, and it did, while my Rise wouldn't.

I had a similar problem with using my rise as well, on a couple different public wifi's my Rise wouldn't connect for some reason and my wife's would connect almost immediately, there was nothing I could do to get it going. Only had this problem on unprotected public wifi's but it does work with most of those I tried. May be what Virgin said and it is just not compatible with some router's but I've never heard of that?

Upvote 0
Sorry I haven't responded to this in a while.
I work in a hotel, where dozens of guests every day use our wifi, and i seem to be the only person having an issue like this. How can a modern phone not be compatible with a modern router?
Sorry, it's gotta be this phone. I've just been using it anyway for now. I'n probably going to switch to the Moto G on Boost soon.

Upvote 0
Sorry I haven't responded to this in a while.
I work in a hotel, where dozens of guests every day use our wifi, and i seem to be the only person having an issue like this. How can a modern phone not be compatible with a modern router?
Sorry, it's gotta be this phone. I've just been using it anyway for now. I'n probably going to switch to the Moto G on Boost soon.

To be honest, probably the best idea

Upvote 0
Yeah, I've pretty much given up on the wifi issue. My gf gave me her old iPhone 4 which I use to go online at work, and use my Rise for phone calls and what not.

Not the best solution, but hey, I really don't want to buy a new phone- I just rooted my Rise, and it runs much better, so I'm gonna stick with it. Plus I don't feel like unrooting it just to send it back to VM.

Upvote 0
UPDATE!

So we had internet problems at work, there was an outage in the area or something. So one of the bosses tried to reset the router.... and BINGO!, my Rise now connects at work!
So obviously, it was some setting on the router that was preventing me from connecting. The best part is I no longer have to carry that damn iPhone with me. YAY!

Upvote 0
our router at work (back when we had att would do that). It would sort of cascade where it would start dropping devices (some of which are iphones, and one at a time over a period of a day or so). Rebooting would work every time. We all share a wifi printer and that would usually be the first thing that would start it off.

Glad you don't have to humiliate yourself with the iphone anymore! LOL!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones