• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

RockPlayer Available in Market

Until you purchase it, I guess you have to live with the ads and the initial popup.

It is 10 bucks which seems like alot for an app, but considering all the file types it plays without the need for encoding it is worth it in imo.

Yeah i don't mind the ads, just the program says it will activate a free copy with ads' or you can purchase and when you try to activate the free copy it errors and says unable to activate and throws you into the app anyways lol

Upvote 0
This uses FFMPEG, which falls under the GPL. Charging for this software and holding the source code hostage is a violation of the GPL.

Giving this developer one cent is like slapping the original FFMPEG team in the face for all the work they put into it.

This may be true, but if he opens the source code, some asshat will probably come in and remove the ads/fee etc and that will be one more developer gone. At the end of the day, you get what you pay for, so that's why I don't mind ads in quality programs.

just my $0.02. :p

Upvote 0
This uses FFMPEG, which falls under the GPL. Charging for this software and holding the source code hostage is a violation of the GPL.

Giving this developer one cent is like slapping the original FFMPEG team in the face for all the work they put into it.
I suggest reporting the app then, and making note of that in the "reason why" field (there is one, right?).

More likely than not this would result in the app being pulled (rather than being made free), as the developer clearly wants to make money from it, and therefore won't be giving it away. They'd probably just rework the code to not use FFMPEG.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones