• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Rogers 2.3 Gingerbread Update (Help Needed!)

So it's official, we've got an official build of Gingerbread.

Rogers Samsung Galaxy S Captivate owners reporting OS 2.3 now available | MobileSyrup.com

Anyone here get the update or know of where to find the official ROM? I flashed Serendipity 7 on it a while back, and today, I spent ten minutes to flash back the original Rogers 2.2 ROM ([ROM] SGH-i896 Rogers 2.2 Stock - Complete and AT&T Free - xda-developers) to get this update.

Only to find myself wasting another 3 hours trying to get the right Kies to be compatible with my phone.

I still can't find the right Kies or the right settings. With the latest version, upon connecting my phone, and Kies detecting it, no update appears. Not only that, the firmware field under my i896 Captivate is left blank.

Uninstalling, finding Kies_1.5.1.10071_32, and reinstalling Kies_1.5.1.10071_32 on my 5 year old laptop, I found that Kies now says that the device is not supported, so I can't even connect my phone to it.

Help me please!

Nice! I decided to check the forums on the right day after not coming on for a while! I just plugged into Kies and updated right away! I find there's a few little glitches here and there.
Ex: When swiping away the lockscreen to unlock, it flashes it's stationary position briefly before showing my homescreen, if that makes sense.

Are the changes from froyo to gingerbread universal across phones?? If i just search "gingerbread updates" will that be what I got or does it very depending on which model phone is getting the update?

Upvote 0
Had this same problem...

You need to get the AIO Captivate toolbox 2.6 from XDA.

[PROGRAM] AIO Captivate Toolbox *Smaller, Faster, + More Automation* - xda-developers

It will revert you back to stock 2.1.

Then use Keis to update to 2.2. Then update to 2.3.

Worked great for me.

Reverting back to stock would give you AT&T right? How would this toolbox know which version to flash on to my phone?!

And this information would be of great use: Which version of Kies?! Mini or 1.x or 2.x?! This alone was half of the problem, the other half being the process of updating it (which you clearly explained! thank you!!)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones