• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rogers 911/Sense UI Update: Post your problems here

thx guys, I was getting ready to record the whole thing on video to make sure I was not hallucinating...

Please keep in mind that I write in french 99.9% of the time (ok, now 50% since I found this very interesting thread). Most of you are not affected, it really suck for me.

Of course setting the keyboard language to english would put the right letter back at the right place, but the text that get suggested to me would be in english, it would be so convenient to be able to get the suggestions in my language for both portrait and landscape mode, receiving the text prediction in english just mess everything up.

Of course I can turn the prediction off and set my keyboard to english, or stick to using it strictly in portrait mode, actually evaluating this option as potentially the best compromise, but be so happy if things had been done correctly from the begining...

Another point I want to bring back again, the browser in full screen, is it annoying to anyone else, this go against the basic UI design guidelines for android, making sure the notification area is visible all the time to get all that critical feedback that is hidden when full screen mode is activated. That would be the main reason for me if I could go back to the original version.

J-C

Yes that full screen browser is annoying as hell, Can't find any settings to keep the status bar showing either. I actually switched over to dolphin browser because of it.

Dolphin browser also has a setting to put the cash on SD so it doesn't tie up memory space.

gbd

Upvote 0
Saturday/Sunday is when I applied the new mandatory update, which I wish I had not. So if you are still a sane person, don't apply the update if you don't need to.

Over the past few days (Mon-Wed) I have noticed that the phone keeps rejecting the SIM card whenever the @#$% it feels like. Atleast 4-5 times between these days I have noticed the message "SIM INVALID" type of messages showing up with no cellular connection whatsoever.

Yesterday, when I really needed to use the phone to attend a conference call with a client, I looked at the phone and there was no service! Had to reboot it (and god rebooting takes 3-5 minutes) after which the SIM was registered and I had signal. I was late for the conference call by 10 minutes.

Rogers, WTF have you done? This new update is worse! I'd rather live without the GPS so I can call 911. But wtf is the point, if I can't use the damn phone when I want to?

@RogersMary Any comment or is Rogers going to be silent about this?

Upvote 0
You know, I've noticed that a few times as well. Somewhere where you know there should be a good signal and nothing. I have also seen the icon of the sim card showing up after reboot and it's taking longer for the phone to register on the network.

It hasn't caused me to have to reboot yet and normally clears itself up fairly quickly. I don't understand though how I can go from 0 bars to 3 bars and not move an inch.

gbd

Upvote 0
Before the update it worked fine, now it does not. Also before, on my Win 7 PC, HTC Sync recognized and would connect to my Dream and now it does not. I've tried the latest version of HTC Sync too with no luck.

i have had no issues with the phone since update. other than i had to wait 24 hrs to get back on my data connection.

ms exchange is working no problem for me. sync and send/receive fine.

Upvote 0
Photo gallery error
Not a problem for me. Photo's can be in sub folders.

Exchange problem
I don't normally use it (I don't want my work email on my personal phone) but I tried it just to see if it would work and it seems to work fine for me. Clearly people are having a problem with this though and I think those who can't get exchange to work should share more details to see if there is a common setting/detail that might be causing the problem.

Flash Player
I say again, the flash player is working as it should, but its a simplified mobile version and it won't work for everything.

Battery issues
Turn off always-on mobile (in mobile network settings) and see if its back to normal (I haven't had my magic long enough to know the difference pre/post update)

Apps not available on market
If you search around, this seems to be a theme when custom builds get updated (happened with the Moto Eris update for sure). It also seems that the problem will work itself out once Google becomes aware of the update but it is unclear to me how this process actually works or whether it's really all on google. If I'm coorect about this, it's also unclear to me why this doesn't seem to happen on custom roms for rooted phones

edit: http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Android+Market/thread?tid=43d9d90a90d4d4b4&hl=en

QWERTY vs AZERTY
Tried switching languages and this issue popped up for me as well.

Weather widget
It clearly has issues for some (mine works fine)

Brightness Widgets
Tried the one by curvefish, worked fine for me. I cant be bothered to try more but I would recommend that those who are having trouble try another widget (there's like a half dozen on the market)

Upvote 0
Saturday/Sunday is when I applied the new mandatory update, which I wish I had not. So if you are still a sane person, don't apply the update if you don't need to.

Over the past few days (Mon-Wed) I have noticed that the phone keeps rejecting the SIM card whenever the @#$% it feels like. Atleast 4-5 times between these days I have noticed the message "SIM INVALID" type of messages showing up with no cellular connection whatsoever.

Yesterday, when I really needed to use the phone to attend a conference call with a client, I looked at the phone and there was no service! Had to reboot it (and god rebooting takes 3-5 minutes) after which the SIM was registered and I had signal. I was late for the conference call by 10 minutes.

Rogers, WTF have you done? This new update is worse! I'd rather live without the GPS so I can call 911. But wtf is the point, if I can't use the damn phone when I want to?

@RogersMary Any comment or is Rogers going to be silent about this?

Just curious. Do you have a pre or post 3G sim card?

I was told that the older SIM cards can cause problems with 3G connections, maybe it's the same for voice connection?

Nicolas Racine

Upvote 0
The SIM card is a post 3G simcard. Don't think that is an issue, because I've had my Magic since June 2009 when it was first released. This is the first time that I have had this problem with the Magic. So I know for a fact that it has nothing to do with the SIM card itself.

When I received my Magic, it came with a new/extra SIM card. I just kept using my SIM from my previous phone.

Did you receive a new SIM with the Magic? Is that the one you are using or can you try another SIM card?

Upvote 0
the issues i've had are minor and I would shoot myself if I had to go back to the old stock OS.

so heres my condensed list of issues i've had:

1. htc music player freezes on the lock screen
2. htc photo album widget won't let me flip through photos in the album (via finger flip), you have to delete the widget and then add it again to get it working...

again, minor issues.

Upvote 0
i have had no issues with the phone since update. other than i had to wait 24 hrs to get back on my data connection.

ms exchange is working no problem for me. sync and send/receive fine.

Yea my data came back too but again tho I tried to get sync going to no avail...uninstalled, reinstalled the PC software, drivers and tinkered with phone settings etc etc. Also the phone is now really slow and choppy which is a most annoying thing. With no apps other than a note pad app and wifi toggle installed I'm down to 48meg of system memory. I don't know exactly how much I had before but I know it was lots more than that and the phone was not slow and choppy. Anyway I've pulled the SIM out of it and stuffed it in a Crackberry 8900 that I'm going to use until Rogers gets back up to speed with the swap your Dream for Magic deal which I was told I'm eligible to take advantage of. I don't trust the phone at all seeing as how it's so slow...bringing up the dialer while a message was coming in caused it to freeze so eff that noise, I need something more reliable than that.

Upvote 0
I haven't had any big issues since the update. I have noticed that when I power off and then on again I get the NO SIM screen but then eventually I do connect to the network. Seems to take a long time to boot up. (reminds of working on an NT machine!)
One thing that has happened a few times since updating is that people who have tried to call me say that they get a message that I am unavailable (I don't have voicemail) and then it connects a minute later when they call back and I have been in the same spot the whole time.
Also when you go to change the "Enable Always-On Mobile" setting don't accidently swipe your finger on the Mobile Network setting and turn it off on the previous screen. You then spend the next while trying to figure out why your data connection no longer works! :)

Upvote 0
Hi My Fellow Magic users,

It seems after the update I can no longer zoom-in/out on a webpage. For ex, if I am reading a webpage with small text, in the past I can just touch the screen once, and it'll show up a +/- buttons on the screen for zooming in/out.

How do you zoom in webpages now with Sense UI? I know for certain pages you can double-touch the an image to zoom in. But I am talking about the entire page zoom (with text).

Thanks for your help!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones