1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Rogers Dream 1.6 Update

Discussion in 'Rogers' started by Elementi, Oct 5, 2009.

1. zortoflaven

zortoflaven Member
    None

Dec 11, 2009
    Student
    Halifax, NS
    I hope I can speak for everyone when I say thank you for posting in this thread, Mary. Though we may be upset with the news you bring, we know you are just the messenger.

Thank you for the information and we look forward to hearing back from you. :)

Advertisement

2. GreatBigDog

GreatBigDog Android Enthusiast
    None

An answer at last. Strip everything away and all you see is one big fat.

NO 1.6 for you

While I am disappointed in Rogers for going this route, it really comes as no surprise. I'll give it a few hours for everybody to post why they want 1.6 and then I'll gather everything into one post and send the post link to @RogersMary. So everybody put your .02 down over the next couple of hours.

gbd.

3. loconet

loconet Member
    None

Dec 18, 2009
    So No 1.6 upgrade for us. HTC blames Rogers and Rogers blames HTC. The fact that we actually have to come up with reasons as to why we want the upgrade is crazy.

This whole mess has me feeling like a second rate citizen. Absolutely disappointed by both companies (more so with HTC, I'm not too surprised with Rogers).

Luckily, the beautiful thing about Android is the diversity of devices and carriers. I'll definitely be taking my $ and vocal support somewhere else as soon as I can.

4. strevellick

strevellick Newbie
    None

Dec 18, 2009
    Software Developer
    Grimsby, Ontario
    I must be missing something so correct me if I am wrong. After reading (for hours) all of these posts Rogers was in the midst of testing 1.6 with the Dream and Magic? I am a Dream owner because I was told that it was a really great technology and it was available at Roger's. So I actually switched from Bell (I can't stand Bell) to Roger's before any other carrier because of their device selection. So, perhaps I made a bad decision overall. The phone is still ok but I could really use some of the new functionality with the new OS. I could understand if the hardware couldn't support the technology but that is not the case now is it?

The worst part is Roger's has now created a trust issue. Today the Dream will no longer be supported for better available upgrades...what next? Do they promise you the world until you buy new hardware or sign a new contract? Again it comes back the same old story, the might dollar. I think Roger's need to learn a little concept I like to call "customer retention".

Well, I am nicely vented now. On to the search for a carrier that's customer service & support echoes it's service. Oh wait, I don't think that exists. I am going to find one and call it "Unicorn"!

:(

Shawn

5. puleen

puleen Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 6, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Thank you Mary, for providing an official update. I am sad to hear the decision reached by HTC on providing Rogers users of their devices (Dream, Magic) with regular updates, in this case for Android 1.6.

This information raises more question for me in understanding the relationship between Rogers and HTC. In the end the extent of this relationship will hurt the users.

I agree with all those who posted their discontent with the message shared by Rogers and the direction which HTC is taking for Dream and Magic users. Moreover, those of us, Rogers Customers, who are relying on Android to develop apps and meet certain business requirements for mobile development capabilities this is a huge blow as it greatly devolves the type of innovation which Android provides to our respective business areas.

If this is consistent across current and future HTC devices which Rogers is going to offer, this makes me think twice before purchasing an HTC device through Rogers. I would be interested in seeing what type of relationship Bell and Telus have with HTC, since they have also started to provide their customers (existing, new) with Android powered mobile devices.

Cheers!

@puleen

6. nickfrost

nickfrost Newbie
    None

Dec 18, 2009
    Vaughan, ON
    "Gone with the WIND" :D

I use to have Wind in Italy. No complaints whatsoever (especially regarding fees). I'm looking forward to see how they will compete in the Canadian market.

7. Silvertag

Silvertag Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 16, 2009
    Montreal
    It never was....it was all missunderstood information coming from many sources and direction. Rogers never received any file. HTC was saying Rogers never asked for the file and now proclame they will not offer it.

8. GreatBigDog

None

And that about sums it all up.

9. Andy2010

Andy2010 Well-Known Member
    None

If we are not getting 1.6 because of Exchange then i say to hell with exchange. Personally nobody uses it. If Rogers could only get the 1.6 update with Google branded, that will solve the future updates for Rogers customers.

10. zortoflaven

zortoflaven Member
    None

Dec 11, 2009
    Student
    Halifax, NS
    I agree. Offer 1.6 and those that don't want to upgrade won't!

11. cdstewart

cdstewart Member
    None

Nov 9, 2009
    Glad to finally have an answer.

But this DOES NOT make sense.
    Why would it be offered to magics and dreams (myTouchs and G1s) around the globe but not here.

It seems to me that Rogers made a request to HTC to post that.
    This is stupid and frustrating and these phones should not be sold without a warning.

Not cutting edge.
    Time to root- which I really didn't want to do.

12. Andy2010

None

[ROM][32b] RogersMod 1.6.1 (Full Exchange Support,Multi-touch,~106MB RAM) - 28.Sept This Rom ist for the Sapphire 32B/My Touch 3G only!

This Rom is based on the newest Rogers firmware.

Main Features:
    *Very fast rom
    *Full Exchange support (Mail, Calendar, Contacts)
    *Cyanogen's Kernel
    *Root access
    *See Changelog for more features
    *~106 MB Ram!

Things I may include in the next builds:
    +add the advanced launcher - working
    +open obex (waiting for the gui)
    +add the modified mms.apk - working and included
    +add Loccy's BetterBrowser - working and included
    + include biktor_gj kernel modifications to increase the ram amount from 98MB to 106MB

Even Cyanogen Rom has Exchange built in. I don't see why this could be a problem for HTC and Rogers.

13. mjschmidt

mjschmidt Android Expert
    None

Jun 27, 2009
    Male
    In my house.
    I received my phone call from Brian Szeto from the OotP, he basically told me what RogersMary has said.

I angrily told him very bluntly that I do not believe Rogers.

For the past three weeks other members of Rogers Office of the President have been telling us that they _would_ be getting the update from HTC by the end of December for testing and evaluation. This wasn't a flip answer from them, this was the answer we got after multiple people elevated the matter to the office of the president. So obviously after we complained repeatedly, they asked HTC, That was more than a week and half ago. They asked HTC, and then they told us they would be getting it to test and evaluate by the end of Decemeber.

Many of us also contacted HTC and were told by HTC that Rogers had to ask for the update.

They did not say that there was no update for Rogers to get, they said that Rogers had to ask for it.

And Sherry, Mary and Ethan from the office of the president told us they had contacted HTC and would be getting the update to test and evaluate by the end of December.

So it simply does not add up that suddenly HTC claims there is no update to be had!!! We KNOW the update works on these phone, because other users in the states have it, and because it has been rooted for months!

I call shenanigans on the part of Rogers. Obviously it is only my opinion, but I can't help but wonder if the truth is Rogers didn't want to have to pay to modify 1.6 for our phones.

@RogersMary... if you're still coming back to check this thread... I DON'T BELIEVE YOU! Everything we have been told by _Rogers_ and by _HTC_ up to this point conflicts.

@Silvertag: As I said above, multiple people from the OotP told us they would be getting the update by the end of Dec to test and evaluate. So either they were lying to us then, or they are lying to us now. How could they be getting the update to test if no update exists for our phones (as HTC is now apparently claiming)? It doesn't add up. Someone is lying to us.

@RogersMary: As I told Mr. Szeto, I have been a loyal Rogers customer for more than 15 years, but as a result of this issue I will NEVER buy another Rogers product. I will also be immediately planning for the dissolution not only of my contract, but my wife's contract so that I can go to another carrier. YOU HAVE LOST ME AS A CUSTOMER BECAUSE YOU WILL NOT PROVIDE US WITH THIS UPDATE.

Don't tell me this is all HTC, because as I've pointed out above, official responses from both HTC and Rogers previous to now indicated that update existed. Tell me please, @RogersMary, were Sherry, Mary, and Ethan lying to us then, or are you lying to us now?

If the rest of you want to just accept this and move on, be my guest. I will not. Even if Rogers _never_ gives us the update, I will not stop warning people online in as many places as possible that they should not buy an Android phone from Rogers because it will quickly become obsolete. I will continue to post on blogs, and contact the media. I will do what I can so that a Google search of Rogers and Android returns the truth.

14. cdstewart

cdstewart Member
    None

Nov 9, 2009
    UHHG

I still blame Rogers, if they showed enough want to please their customers and pester HTC about it a bit then this would not be an issue.

15. cdstewart

cdstewart Member
    None

Nov 9, 2009
    and I second mjschmidt

16. PascalS13

PascalS13 Newbie
    None

Nov 30, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    This means I'v been lyed too by Milton whom I spoke to yesterday.

@mjschmidt, WORD.

17. Andy2010

None

Not only just Android phones we have to warn ppl about, basically Rogers sales and supports are liars.

18. strevellick

strevellick Newbie
    None

Dec 18, 2009
    Software Developer
    Grimsby, Ontario
    I am in negotiations with Rogers and two other providers to move our company wireless needs. Well, I guess that just solidified my answer as to Rogers. That's a shame. :(

I think Rogers should immediately change the name of their HTC hardware:

HTC Dream -> HTC Nightmare

19. cdstewart

cdstewart Member
    None

Nov 9, 2009
    Sorry about the consecutive posts but I have one more question.

@RogersMary I would greatly appreciate a reply.

WHY does this NOT apply to the Hero on Telus?
    There is no mention under the Hero on HTC's site.

This confirms that this IS in fact a Rogers issue

Please inform me if I am wrong.

20. bunhead

bunhead Member
    None

Nov 26, 2009
    Computer geek
    Well guys (and girls) I hate to add more gasoline to the fire but I just recieved the following PAPER LETTER via UPS Express today.

I open the debate on the wording of this letter.

@RogersMary, what do you have to offer on this development?

21. GreatBigDog

None

Brian couldn't say anything yesterday because HTC didn't have the pages up on their site yet. I can guarantee that the answer has been known for the last several days but nothing was to be said until that FAQ changed on HTC's site.

@mjschmidt - You were right and I was wrong. I wonder how many phones Rogers had to order to get that posted on HTC's site.

22. cdstewart

cdstewart Member
    None

Nov 9, 2009
    Scan that, hide the numbers and post.
    if you have that on paper we may still have a chance.

23. GreatBigDog

None

Hey, the more gasoline the better ;-)

24. Andy2010

None

Yup, we need to log everything we had including emails and on the forums.

25. mjschmidt

mjschmidt Android Expert
    None

Jun 27, 2009
    Male
    In my house.
    Um, why should we hide the number again? was it out of respect for Rogers? Respect? Rogers doesn't know what respect is. I say, post the number and we can all call to complain.