• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rogers Dream 1.6 Update

Upvote 0
I am glad that I decided to unlock the HTC Magic and trying out on the Bell network. The device works great on the Bell network. Unlocking the device cost me less than $10 CAD.

By simply putting in the Bell SIM Card, almost everything worked. Even though I have a custom ROM installed, everything worked just perfectly.

I have now started to prepare for a life after Rogers. No more am I willing or going to shell out the money like in the past to a provider that does not have their customers in mind. Yes, Bell/Telus may be in the same boat, but a choice has to be made and Rogers need to be made aware of the fact that their mistakes/errors will not go unnoticed anymore.

Enough is enough!

Upvote 0
I just started the complaint process with Rogers ... here's what I wrote:

Dear Rogers,

When I purchased my HTC Magic for you at the end of August 2009, I was advised that Rogers would be supporting this device by periodically releasing updates to the Android operating system. The HTC Magic shipped with Android 1.5. Just a month later, Google released Android 1.6, and in the past few weeks have just released version Android 2.0.

When will Rogers be releasing Android 1.6 for their HTC Magic? (In the US, T-Mobile released this update in October.) There are a number of applications that I want to use that cannot be used with Android 1.5 - only Android 1.6 and later.

Thanks,

~ David Lewis

Upvote 0
I am glad that I decided to unlock the HTC Magic and trying out on the Bell network. The device works great on the Bell network. Unlocking the device cost me less than $10 CAD.

By simply putting in the Bell SIM Card, almost everything worked. Even though I have a custom ROM installed, everything worked just perfectly

@pir8: Can you post a list of instructions for doing what you did, or otherwise point us to a web site that explains it? Others here might want to pursue that option.

Does the Magic get 3G on the Bell network?

Upvote 0
I see there are many members on the forum that are starting to contact Rogers through their website. Just a heads up, Gmail is treating mail from Rogers Wireless as spam. You need to keep an eye on your spam folder if you're expecting something from Rogers and you gave them a Gmail address.

Kind of ironic though isn't it ;-)

S ub
P ar
A ndroid
M erchant

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
@RogersMary

Here is a synopsis of whats been said about why we want 1.6 since you made your post earlier today.

First and formost everyone feels cheated. We all purchased these phones with the understanding that the Android OS and it's apps would be constantly evolving and that we would be able to get updates for the life of the phones. In many cases we specificly asked at the point of purchase about future OS updates and if Rogers was going to cripple any of the functions of the phone. We don't consider minor bug fixes as updates, that's just regular maintenance. Here is a list of some of what 1.6 enables.

1. Google maps navigation (some of us do travel to the US)
2. Voice dialing improvements (bluetooth capability) My old Razr was better. (Handsfree Laws)
3. Improved Text to Speech (and thousands of apps that use it)
4. Improved Camera functionality and speed
5. Google Goggles
6. Access to VPNs
7. Improved Android Market (mainly screen shots submitted by developers in addition to reviews from other users)
8. Improved functionality of the search bar
9. The added functionality of Gestures (and thousands of apps that use it)
10. Useless Rogers icons on the phone, Sites they point to have no use whatsoever.
11. Battery usage indicator (Battery life on this phone sucks, this could help manage it)
12. Accessability functions

I would like to add Flash 10 (coming in Q1, 2010).
It is supposed to be based on Android 2.0.
Flash is very important for the overall Internet experience.

However, Flash has already been incorporated in the HTC magic for STC (Saudi Telecom).

Mary (RogersMary), please add "Adobe Flash 10" to your list. Thank you.

Upvote 0
I'd like to draw your attention to other aspect of this problem. As you know Google established Open Handset Alliance when HTC is a member of this. This statement you can find on first page of OHA site:
"A commitment to openness, a shared vision for the future, and concrete plans to make the vision a reality.

Welcome to the Open Handset Alliance™, a group of 47 technology and mobile companies who have come together to accelerate innovation in mobile and offer consumers a richer, less expensive, and better mobile experience. Together we have developed Android™, the first complete, open, and free mobile platform.

We are committed to commercially deploy handsets and services using the Android Platform."

I believe our experience with Rogers completely contradicts these principals. Why Google and HTC always point finger to Roger? Why they don't wont to promote Android but actually doing the opposite thing. Why these companies leaving customer behind starting from v1.5 !!! From my perspective this much worse than Microsoft (and almost everybody hates MS).
I'm starting to doubt in the bright feature of Android. This is a very bad start with thousands customers left on their own. I lost my fate in Google and tell me why should I buy new "Google phone" made by HTC after all headaches that I have with my HTC Magic? Who can assure me that I'll not find myself again stuck with phone with out of art OS?
I understand that Android has very great potentials but it might remain only potentials and our current saga with Rogers is very disturbing sign that support my doubts!

Awake Google, HTC, Rogers! We're customers, we're paying your bills, listen to our voice if you want to success or maybe even to survive.

Upvote 0
Sorry, should have wrote it out. It stands for Office of the President.

gbd

ah! Thank you sir!

I'd like to draw your attention to other aspect of this problem. As you know Google established Open Handset Alliance when HTC is a member of this. This statement you can find on first page of OHA site:
"A commitment to openness, a shared vision for the future, and concrete plans to make the vision a reality.

Welcome to the Open Handset Alliance™, a group of 47 technology and mobile companies who have come together to accelerate innovation in mobile and offer consumers a richer, less expensive, and better mobile experience. Together we have developed Android™, the first complete, open, and free mobile platform.

We are committed to commercially deploy handsets and services using the Android Platform."

I believe our experience with Rogers completely contradicts these principals. Why Google and HTC always point finger to Roger? Why they don't wont to promote Android but actually doing the opposite thing. Why these companies leaving customer behind starting from v1.5 !!! From my perspective this much worse than Microsoft (and almost everybody hates MS).
I'm starting to doubt in the bright feature of Android. This is a very bad start with thousands customers left on their own. I lost my fate in Google and tell me why should I buy new "Google phone" made by HTC after all headaches that I have with my HTC Magic? Who can assure me that I'll not find myself again stuck with phone with out of art OS?
I understand that Android has very great potentials but it might remain only potentials and our current saga with Rogers is very disturbing sign that support my doubts!

Awake Google, HTC, Rogers! We're customers, we're paying your bills, listen to our voice if you want to success or maybe even to survive.

Excellent point. It looks like we might have to bring this issue to the attention of the Open Handset Alliance as well. IMO, this mess is making them look very bad. It completely goes against what they (HTC being a part of it!) set out to do with this project.

Some general contacts:

For all media inquiries, please email us at press@openhandsetalliance.com
For all other inquiries, email us at info@openhandsetalliance.com

Upvote 0
I had to register after reading this forum for the past couple week and trying my hardest to fight this battle with rogers. I have been on and off the phone with tech support and the managers of those areas with no luck. I just got off the phone with the office of the president and this is the resolution I have worked out with them. He was ready to send me the new blackberry bold 9700 if I wanted it free of charge. I told him id like to cancel my contract because I want an android phone and I can't trust rogers support of android anymore. He said he would give me 350 in credit which would leave me paying around 150 to cancel my contract. I then told him id like to see which phone they have available in jan 2010 before I make my choice. He said I could receive a free upgrade up untill feb 2010 so I could see what new phone come out in jan. In the end my 2 options were pay 150 to get out of my contract or wait till feb and see what kind of phone I can upgrade to(no iphone of course because they are short on stock). Anyone else had any offers from the office of the president. Id like to see how my offer is next to what everyone else has been offered by them.

Upvote 0
I had to join and post after reading this for the last week or so. I have a Rogers Magic which I purchased in October of 2009 (with a new 3 year contract). My expectation was that there would be regular updates to the OS, obviously this doesn't seem to be the case. I have been a Rogers wireless customer for years and have never had a problem with them. This news about Android on the "Revolution" phones sucks.

I guess I can still hope for a Sense update. 7 screens will be better than 3...

Thanks to everyone who has done work trying to find out the truth.

Upvote 0

First, Keep in mind that while HTC is a member of the OHA, Rogers is not. HTC has continued to provide updates for their products to other carriers, so it is likely that Rogers has no reason to continue to support you as customers. You're locked - some of you - in to three or four year contracts with multi-hundred-dollar 'escape' clauses. Why would Rogers care if you leave? They get their money either way. The main point is that if you're a soured customer, they probably want you gone. As long as they make back their phone subsidy, then they're out nothing except a customer that is unhappy with them.

Second, I recommend going another route, common in the US but unpublicised - change your service to 'emergency only' - depending on the carrier in the US, these plans include 10-30 minutes a month, run ~$10/monthly (plus taxes), and if you have less than 3 years left on your contract, it'll cost you about the same amount as the $500 early term fee. That way, if Rogers were to ever decide you WERE a valued customer, you wouldn't have to sign up for a new contract if the upgrade becomes available.

Finally, there's always the option of rooting your phone. If for some reason it bricks (I haven't heard of this happening in a long time) then you've lost nothing - you were going to cancel your contract anyway. Cyanongen 4.2.9.1 is very nice!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones