• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rogers Dream 1.6 Update

1. Who customized 1.5; Rogers or HTC?
Don't know.

2. Does Rogers have to pay HTC to get 1.6 customized?
Don't know, but all there is in the ROM that is "Rogers" is desktop wallpapers and a couple of annoying apps that are not even apps but rather wrapped web links. Once you root you can delete them.

3. Is it possible to get the "free" version to over-ride the customized Rogers version without rooting?
Theoretically. Practically you have to root to get on the phone a recovery image that lets you install new ROM. Rogers phone has recovery image that doesn't let you do it. Once you install the one that does let you do it, when you boot to Rogers ROM afterwords, Rogers ROM will overwrite your recovery image with their stinky one. You are at square one.

Upvote 0
Well is very disappointing situation we are in.Rooting a phone is major hassle and pain and also potential to brick.My friend tried to root his and the steps where way above his head and overwhelming and rogers branded HTC dream is not a fool proof root.Yes many people have done it and i envy them.Still this is only for people that feel comfortable with this hack and is not a viable solution for most owners.I believe that this issue is bigger just then Rogers but they are the ones to start with.

Upvote 0
@sconnelly: Even if Rogers NEVER gives us 1.6, we won't give up because we want to make sure that any consumers thinking about buying a Rogers Android phone knows what's going on so they can make an informed decision, especially since as early as last Friday night (Dec 18) store clerks were telling people (me specifically) that if we bought a Magic now, we could get 1.6 in the new year.

Funny, you should say this because I am planning to get this sales pitch recorded.

Because this was the SAME sales pitch that sold me on the Android back in June 2009.

Let's get this recorded! Because, in a response to an email I sent to Rogers, they claimed that I was lying (in a polite way) that no sales person would or should have told me that an OS update was planned and that there policy was to update the Android phones at a similar frequency as the iPhone updates.

I believe that their sales people are specifically instructed to lie about this.... so I am going to get this recorded!

Please do so as well and then we should share these sales pitches with everyone!

Be careful how you do so... however, do tip them off that you are trying to catch them in a lie.

Steps:
1. Go in pretending to know only just little bit about the Android. Enough to make Android to iPhone comparisons..
2. Innocently ask questions... that you heard you can buy apps just like the iPhone...
3. Are OS updates available just like the iPhone?
4. Basically convince them that you want an iPhone alternative.
5. Use your imagination but be sure to capture some sound bite lies.

Upvote 0
Funny, you should say this because I am planning to get this sales pitch recorded.

Because this was the SAME sales pitch that sold me on the Android back in June 2009.

Let's get this recorded! Because, in a response to an email I sent to Rogers, they claimed that I was lying (in a polite way) that no sales person would or should have told me that an OS update was planned and that there policy was to update the Android phones at a similar frequency as the iPhone updates.

I believe that their sales people are specifically instructed to lie about this.... so I am going to get this recorded!

Please do so as well and then we should share these sales pitches with everyone!

Be careful how you do so... however, do tip them off that you are trying to catch them in a lie.

Steps:
1. Go in pretending to know only just little bit about the Android. Enough to make Android to iPhone comparisons..
2. Innocently ask questions... that you heard you can buy apps just like the iPhone...

getting more then 1 or 2 sales people caught in this lie is key or they will just say it was salesment mistakes and employee was corrected like earlier comments....lol....

Upvote 0
I've called a litigation lawyer.
He is interested to take the case with a % percentage.
However he requires a $2000 retainer fee.

Could you please make calls and try fining a lawyer with no retainer fees!

Here is a list of lawyers in Toronto

Please call...

Not likely. First I would want to know more about this lawyer. If we can find a well respected lawyer who will give us an HONEST assessment of our chances of winning, I think the retainer costs would be rather low between enough disgruntle owners. At $2000, this might cost us $20 each (assuming 100 customers - which isn't near enough complaints for a class action).

What do I want out of this?

- The ability to cancel my contracts (2) without penalty. In general, I am sick of Android for more than just the serious failings of Rogers. Although, to be honest, I have no idea how improved the Android experience would be with OS 1.6. Overall, I just feel seriously mislead by Rogers.

Upvote 0

Steps:

This is mildly illegal.
I would rather try to get it in writing. Prepare your own letter and have a store mgr to sign it.

Upvote 0
Call Rogers or your Bank. What is the first thing after the choice of language they tell you?

That the phone call may be monitored for quality purposes? Is that what you are referring to?

I think the clerk would need to sign a waiver stating that they knew they were being recorded, otherwise it could be considered a violation of their rights....you know how lawyers are, they would do anything to find fault in something.

Only one party needs to be aware of the recording.

http://www.efc.ca/pages/law/cc/cc.183.1.html
http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=320423
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/C-46/page-5.html#codese:183_1

Upvote 0
BTW as a side note for those who aren't following it, the petition is now up to 144 signatures with an amazing 77 just added today!!

I figure if we hit the 200 mark it would be a good time to pass it along to the media, unless you all want to hold out for more signatures?

Does that 144 take in to account the Anonymous ones that don't include any comments? We can't really count those ones, because no one else will.

Upvote 0
I think the clerk would need to sign a waiver stating that they knew they were being recorded, otherwise it could be considered a violation of their rights....you know how lawyers are, they would do anything to find fault in something.

Forget waivers. CBC does this all the time with their "Hidden camera" reports. Get it on _film_ in a store with a hidden camera. There can be no breech of privacy if there is no _expectation_ of privacy, like when you are in a store full of people.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones