• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rogers Dream 1.6 Update

@sconnelly: We are by no means "settling" for 1.6, but given what we're up against, it might be easier to go in baby steps. At this point it is sill not confirmed that 2.0 will be completely compatible with the Rogers Magic and Dream (because of 3G issues I believe? Andy2010 can probably answer this better), and 2.1 _may_ be too large to fit on our phones until/unless they find a way to make the final code smaller.

We KNOW 1.6 will work on our phones, we have yet to confirm if 2.0 will work. I agree it would be nice to skip right to 2.0, but considering how long we would have to wait for _that_ I'd rather have 1.6 within a month or two, than continue waiting for an update we might not be able to use.

I would agree to demanding we have 1.6 by February 28 by the latest, given that as far as we know HTC has done no work yet to prepare it with Rogers customization. If they can not promise 1.6 by that date, then we are back to looking at your other options. As for 2.0, provided we can confirm from sources _other_ than HTC and Rogers that it will work on these phones, we would continue to lobby Rogers/HTC for 2.0 by a specific date (and a promise from them to deliver it).

Agreed. Rogers needs to understand that these aren't "phones with a few tricks" these are mini-computers that can make phone calls, which means they are closer to the iPhone than to the Blackberry. I don't know why they refuse to trade us for iPhones given that the price should be similar? I think this might be a case for trying to contact _Apple Canada_ to let them know they have a chance to convert a large group of people from Android to iPhone, which would be a nice PR score for them.

Agreed. Many users in this forum are working on that right now. Check the posts from GBD and others who have been talking to the OotP.

A lawsuit should be kept as the final straw option, but we shouldn't get our hopes up. Lawsuits are never as clear cut as in the movies or TV. The courts may not even be willing to hear the case if they feel it has no merit, and depending on the fine print of the Rogers contracts, it might not. Ultimately it would be useful to get the opinion of a lawyer on this matter, and in fact one of our members is _already_ pursuing this, so you will need to wait to see what information he can get.

Thanks for your reply.

I should point out a correction to option #1. It is reasonable to demand updates only as long as the hardware supports the updates. We cannot reasonably expect Android updates in to perpetuity.

I (or we) really need to review our contract in order to determine if there are really, truly, any "outs" for the consumer. I was only guessing "breech of contract". At this time, I do not know, but I will be sure to take a copy of my contract on vacation tomorrow. I am not a lawyer, but I do have some experience as a two-times writer of legal documents.

Upvote 0
@sconnelly:
<snip>
We KNOW 1.6 will work on our phones, we have yet to confirm if 2.0 will work. I agree it would be nice to skip right to 2.0, but considering how long we would have to wait for _that_ I'd rather have 1.6 within a month or two, than continue waiting for an update we might not be able to use.
<snip>

I have heard that the magic is perfectly capable of supporting 2.x as it has the same or better specs than the Hero. Sinc HTC is working on 2.1 for the hero it should also run on Magic. The Dream however has a problem with storage space (Apps to SD would fix that though)

gbd

Upvote 0
I have heard that the magic is perfectly capable of supporting 2.x as it has the same or better specs than the Hero. Sinc HTC is working on 2.1 for the hero it should also run on Magic. The Dream however has a problem with storage space (Apps to SD would fix that though)

gbd

2.0 i know for sure can be installed to the dream. The only problem left is the camera driver. Hackers couldn't get it because it's a closed source from HTC.

As for 2.1, you can see the video that i posted. Currently the Rom is just a basic rom with not many features. So by the time it's fully release, we don't know if it will fit into dream/G1 or not.

Upvote 0
- Motorola Droid specs show 512MB ROM / 288MB RAM: running Android 2.0
- Nexxus one Specs show 512MB ROM/ 512MB RAM : running Android 2.1
- Magic Specs show 512MB ROM / 288MB RAM: running Android 1.5

So please stop, saying that Android 2.0/2.1 will not fit in the 512MB ROM that the HTC Magic has.

Boualem, is not that. Go do some read up as to why. I think the phone set a quota for OS install then leave the rest for apps. I believe somewhere around 70 to 80 mb.

Upvote 0
Boualem, is not that. Go do some read up as to why. I think the phone set a quota for OS install then leave the rest for apps. I believe somewhere around 70 to 80 mb.

This is true. However it does not change anything.
Applications-reserved-space applies to all phones and all versions of Android. This will continue until Google decides to put them on the SD card

Regardless of how ROM and RAM are partitioned, what count at the end is how much RAM and ROM you've got

Upvote 0
Here is an interesting stream of tweets I discovered on Twitter between RogersMary and various people:

"@RogersHelps Why won't you guys pony up for Android 1.6 when a lot of applications are using the features it provides?"

To which RogersMary replied:

"@afreak Hi. We can't offer an upgrade until HTC makes one available to us, which has not been offered."

To which TheNinjaSquad replied:

"@RogersMary Would they make one if you asked/paid them to?"

"@theninjasquad We have asked. They're considering their options."

----------

I also noticed this:

"@RogersMary So nothing is decided regarding HTC Magic and upgrades? And is it a question for you or HTC?"

"@theninjasquad We have asked. They're considering their options."

------

These two conversations were about 2 hours ago, so I wonder what "options" HTC is considering?

Upvote 0
Hi Everyone - Sorry I haven't re-engaged sooner but I've been working with our team and HTC to try and find some answers for you.

I can see some of you have already quoted replies I've made to other blogs :)

From what I've read, most of it can be captured in a comment I made on I Want My One Point Six - Demanding Android 1.6 for our Rogers HTC Magic & Dream, and LG Eve Phones but I'll copy it below as well.

I'm sure you'll have additional questions/comments and I'll get back as often as I can.

Here's what I posted earlier:

Hi Michael

Upvote 0
I will attest to this statement! Once I found out that Rogers.. HTC.. the Almighty Purple Chipmunk... or whoever the finger is pointing to at the moment decided not to provide 1.6 upgrades and my Rogers rep told me that I had used too many minutes in the first week to return the phone, I tried to take matters into my own hands.

I spent a couple of days researching rooting and modded ROMS. The first attempt provided me with a perfectly operable T-Mobile version of Android 1.5. I entered Rogers' APN info and found that aside from no 3G, it worked just fine. Working my way up to 1.6 in steps, I tried a modded Rogers 1.5 ROM, but messed up and flashed the SPL before the radio and... I am now bricked!

I have explained why I have done this to Rogers (I need the 1.6 upgrade for voice dialing as in my work, I use 2500+ minutes per month, mostly in my car (as of Jan 1, 2010 voice phone operation is law)). They had me call HTC Technical Support and I explained to the "tech?" what I had done and that I thought that I had bricked the phone. Not only did she not understand the term "bricked" but she proceeded to start going through the "push Home+End Call" button routine after I had already explained in detail that I was not able to access these screens and how I came to get that way.
I am now about to contact HTC repair to see what they have to say. I will post once I get a response.

I am so pissed that I am going through this simply because my mobile provider has decided to make my brand new phone obsolete and not provide upgrades to make my business phone usable in conjunction with the laws of my province!!

Can you say unacceptable? .... Sure you can...

DON'T!!!

You are bricked if ALL of these apply:
1. Can't boot to SPL.
2. Can't boot to recovery.
3. Can't boot to ROM.

If you are bricked NOBODY can read the phone, not even all-mighty HTC.

So! Find a different Rogers store, walk in and tell them that your battery died and after you have fully recharged the phone it no longer works. They'll ask questions you tell them you don't understand what they are talking about. Don't mention rooting/unlocking anything.

You have no idea what happened. You demand the phone to be replaced within the warranty!

It works. I can confirm!

Upvote 0
A question of 1.6 vs 2.0

I have been seeing a number of posters complaining that we are wasting or time asking for 1.6, or that we are "settling" and should just forget 1.6 and ask for 2.0.

I do not disagree that it would be better to have 2.0, and if it works on our hardware, then yes, I want it.

However... before we end up fracturing in our support of this issue, please consider the following:

When we started this crusade a month ago, we were being told everything from "yes, the upgrade is coming" to "No you can't get it" to "It's available right now on the web site to download."

Of course the "download" to which they were erroneously referring is the 1.5 bug fix/security patch.

After finally complaining our way to the Office of the President (OotP) a number of us were told by _different_ representatives that Rogers would get the update from HTC by the end of December for testing and evaluation, and that we _might_ get it in the new year. This was after we specifically asked about getting _1.6_.

It turned out later, according to Mr. Brian Szeto from the OotP (and Mary) that these OotP reps _misunderstood_ our request and had confused 1,6 with 1.5 (just like the CSRs and techies) even though we explained it to them clearly, we thought. It turns out these reps _meant_ to say that we would be getting more updates to 1.5, not the 1.6 upgrade.

Please also remember that when I spoke to Sherry from the OotP, she put me on hold to talk to "tier 2" support and when she came back to me she told me that she had them look at HTC's site, and they saw that an update was available, so they would have to look in to it. That means that, until I called to complain, they seemed not even to know that 1.6 was an option!

In a subsequent conversation with Sherry, she had to investigate to find out just who was responsible for Android! This included bringing in the Director of Rogers Wireless.

Now, I'd love to have 2.0, and I _hope_ that because of the attention we've given this issue Rogers must know 2.0 is an option, but given the confusion we've experience at their end, given that they confused 1.5 with 1.6, and didn't know who was responsible for it... I am concerned that changing our focus from 1.6 (which we have been demanding all this time) to 2.0 might just confuse them further.

If HTC announces (through Rogers) that they've decided to skip 1.6 for our phones, but take us right to 2.0, _and_ they will have it for us within the next 2 months, I will be very happy, and I will forget about 1.6.

However, until we hear from them that they will give us 2.0 instead, I think our chances of getting 1.6 are a lot better.

Considering that 1.6 has been available since October, then _if_ they said we couldn't have 2.0 until later in 2010, I'd rather they give us 1.6 now, and 2.0 later.

Those of you who want to give up on 1.6 and demand 2.0, you have that option. Until and unless Rogers or HTC says we will have 2.0 within _2_ months, I will keep demanding 1.6 since it seems the more likely of the two.

I also don't want Rogers or HTC to use the requests of some for 2.0 as an excuse to make us wait even longer, when theoretically we could have 1.6 a LOT sooner.

Upvote 0
DON'T!!!

You are bricked if ALL of these apply:
1. Can't boot to SPL.
2. Can't boot to recovery.
3. Can't boot to ROM.

If you are bricked NOBODY can read the phone, not even all-mighty HTC.

So! Find a different Rogers store, walk in and tell them that your battery died and after you have fully recharged the phone it no longer works. They'll ask questions you tell them you don't understand what they are talking about. Don't mention rooting/unlocking anything.

You have no idea what happened. You demand the phone to be replaced within the warranty!

It works. I can confirm!

And just keep doing this? :p

Eventually, Rogers will realize that it would have been cheaper and more profitable to simply allow us to replace our Android phones with something else, like the iPhone.... or provide timely updates for the Android.

Note... I am not advocating the repeated and purposeful bricking of your phones, but if it does happen... play stupid (even if it hurts your ego) and send it in for repair... er replacement.

If there is no resolution by the time I get back from holidays, I plan to do my own upgrade. This is out of necessity because I am getting into trouble with the wife because of constant dropped calls and occasional complete loss of reception.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? See: Issue 2845 - android - After Losing Signal Phone Doesn't Try To Reacquire it - Project Hosting on Google Code

Upvote 0
And just keep doing this? :p

Eventually, Rogers will realize that it would have been cheaper and more profitable to simply allow us to replace our Android phones with something else, like the iPhone.... or provide timely updates for the Android.

Note... I am not advocating the repeated and purposeful bricking of your phones, but if it does happen... play stupid (even if it hurts your ego) and send it in for repair... er replacement.

If there is no resolution by the time I get back from holidays, I plan to do my own upgrade. This is out of necessity because I am getting into trouble with the wife because of constant dropped calls and occasional complete loss of reception.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? See: Issue 2845 - android - After Losing Signal Phone Doesn't Try To Reacquire it - Project Hosting on Google Code

Sadly to say but i don't want this to be an excuse for them for putting up bug fix for 1.5

Upvote 0
I have had no trouble with dropped called since I got my Magic in June. Maybe it's a bad phone?

What i had experienced is calls come in with 2 rings and stop. Didn't tell me if there's a miss call. 2 weeks ago i got full bar signal but can't receive or make calls for 2 days even after replacing simcard as i was told. After that, it starts working again but I got a replacement phone for it. I think it was one of the tower went down in my area.

Upvote 0
What i had experienced is calls come in with 2 rings and stop. Didn't tell me if there's a miss call. 2 weeks ago i got full bar signal but can't receive or make calls for 2 days even after replacing simcard as i was told. After that, it starts working again but I got a replacement phone for it. I think it was one of the tower went down in my area.

I had the same problem with 2 rings but it was me hitting the hangup button instead of the pickup button in the dark. It sent my calls to voice mail. ;-)

Upvote 0
sconnelly great post and mjschmidt nice rebuttal i can agree with everything you both said and those should be our clear and cut objectives.......

mjschmidt ,awesome reply to mary and she will have her work cut out for her with that response.....i think mary is gonna needs some assistants on this issue...i will repsond to blog a little later pressed for time today

Upvote 0
I just tweeted RogersMary to ask why we cannot have the iPhone in exchange for our HTC phones.

HTC Magic = $599

iPhone 3G 8GB = $580

I put out $79 for the phone $99 to extend the guarantee out to 3 years and $116 for 16GB SD. No way I'd settle for 8GB Iphone (you can't expand it). It would have to be the 16GB Iphone 3GS for me.

gbd

Upvote 0
I just tweeted RogersMary to ask why we cannot have the iPhone in exchange for our HTC phones.
HTC Magic = $599
iPhone 3G 8GB = $580

I don't think this an equal replacement. Battery life of iPhone 3G is barely 12 hours of moderate usage when Magic could last up to 24 hours.
After all there no free navigation system from Google (or Apple ;)) for iPhone even in theory :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones