• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rogers Dream 1.6 Update

No, SilverChris (Not sure who he may be on this forum) posted the following on my Blog in the comments:

"Just talked to customer care and had my phone exchanged. It took less then ten minutes, including the customer care representative making sure I didn’t have to send my HTC Dream in. One thing to note is that they will apparently bill you the 79$ and mail you a coupon you have to send back to get a refund for the 79$. Anyways, I am now thoroughly impressed with Rogers stepping up to the plate on this(Even after some prodding by the community). Thanks to everyone that made this happen"

I don't want people getting stuck in "rebate hell" trying to get that $79 back by jumping through hoops.

Upvote 0
Hi Everyone:

To upgrade your device through Rogers.com, you must have an existing 3-year data plan. Otherwise, please call Customer Care at 1-888-Rogers1:
--Go to http://www.rogers.com
--Follow the Upgrade My Phone link

Thanks,
Mary

@RogersMary I called and the agent had no information and online my account shows my HTC Dream, but no upgrade information. Can anyone help me please?

The agent was very helpful, even checked the forum, but cannot help?

Has anyone else experienced this?

Upvote 0
We are required to renew our 3 year plan.
Does anyone know if those of us that have the 6GB data plan get to keep it?
There's no mention of this when requesting the upgrade via the website.

C.

To be clear, you do not have to _add_ 3 years on to the contract, your current 3 year contract will be extended by a number of months equal to the length of time you've had the Dream prior to taking advantage of this exchange.

Upvote 0
@RogersMary I called and the agent had no information and online my account shows my HTC Dream, but no upgrade information. Can anyone help me please?

The agent was very helpful, even checked the forum, but cannot help?

Has anyone else experienced this?

Not sure, but I think RogersMary might be off work now until tomorrow. She some times checks in over the evening I've seen, but probably won't be able to help until tomorrow.

Upvote 0
Not sure, but I think RogersMary might be off work now until tomorrow. She some times checks in over the evening I've seen, but probably won't be able to help until tomorrow.

The agent I spoke to took her name (he was convinced she was a customer and not an employee until I pointed him to her twitter account) and he is escalating this for me.

Supposed to get a call within four hours.

We'll see how this goes. I have always had a great experience with their customer support!

Upvote 0
When I received my order confirmation from Rogers it stated that I was being billed $0.00 and would be getting a $50.00 rebate to go with it.

Same here. The question is: Why would Rogers be "giving" us $50 on top of a new phone? I'm guessing we're going to get dinged elsewhere. There might be a charge on delivery.

@RogersMary, can you clarify this? Why is Rogers crediting us with $50 ?

Upvote 0
Obviously they're not all on the same page yet. RogersMary will need to do some mopping up.

Anyone who was charged the $79 will need to contact RogersMary, or call back to CSR and escalate. Tell them you want the $79 rebate applied automatically, not a coupon.

As for the $50 bonus coupon, Mary didn't mention it, so I doubt it's official. People who got it really seem to have received a bonus!

Anyone who hasn't called yet, but plans to, remember the following:

1. If you own a Dream and have a contract, the info should already be in your account info for the new Magic. Tell them to look for it.

2. _ALL_ fees are waived! You should not be charged _anything_. Do not let them charge you with the promise of a rebate coupon, you will have to jump through rebate hoops to get the money. Tell them that there arenot supposed to be ANY charges, period.

3. You do NOT have to be a new customer (ie. new contract), you only have to have an existing contract that was started when you got the Dream (so if you were an existing Rogers customer, and your contract was extended when you got your Dream, you qualify).

4. You contract will only be extended by a number of months equal to the number of months since you bought the Dream.

5. You get to KEEP your Dream!

If they try to tell you anything different, or give you a hard to me, you should _immediately_ escalate the call. Politely ask tell them you want to "escalate the call to a manager". They MUST do this for you.

Explain it to the manager. Tell them about this forum, or about I Want My One Point Six - Demanding Android 1.6 for our Rogers HTC Magic & Dream, and LG Eve Phones. Tell them that this came from RogersMary (who is on Twitter). She is the "Manager, Social Media Monitoring & Engagement" at Rogers. She can be found on Twitter at Mary @ Rogers (RogersMary) on Twitter

Don't let them fluster you or bully you. Rogers promised this, and we will get it as long as we are patient and polite.

Upvote 0
The $50 rebate is available with any upgrade.
You just have to find the form on the site if you don't notice it.

Thats awesome for Dream users though.
Well done all.

EDIT:

http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=search&Ntt=rebate

first one on the list :)

Woah woah woah! Hold on... I think we need to get some clarifications here. The "rebate" you link to is not free money. It's a "rebate" to "rebate" money you have to spend.

Rogers should not be charging anyone money and then making them fill out rebate forms!

If you've already gone through the process, can you please clarify, did the Rogers rep say you would be charged $50, but that you would get a $50 rebate coupon to send in?

Careful! Make sure you weren't charged ANYTHING for this! Make _YOU_ send in a rebate is their way of hoping you won't bother so they can keep your $50.

Here is the pertinent part of Mary's post:

The $79 upgrade cost of the device, plus the $35 administration fee are being waived. Customers who choose to take advantage of this offer get a $599 phone for $0 with the renewal of a three-year term from the date of the upgrade (For most customers, this will represent a contract extension of seven months or less).

Note she says the fees will be _waived_ that means you should NOT be charged _anything_.

Upvote 0
The link I sent doesn't really have anything to do with that.

GBD was saying his fee was waived and I am guessing this coupon is another thing he noticed. Which you can redeem as long as your eligible.

The only thing I'm thinking that may render Dream users may illegible would be the first on the list.

note: This doesn't apply to me as I am a magic user anyways.

Upvote 0
I finally got through to someone useful (on the 3rd freaking call!!!). She said that I was definitely eligible and she knew about the dream/magic issue but there was an error on my account and she was not able to process the upgrade (she's calling me back in a day or two when this is fixed). She said that this has happened on a few accounts and that when they bring in a new promo like this that targets specific accounts, this tends to happen. So a heads up if you get someone less useful telling you that they can't process the upgrade, this might be the same issue.

Upvote 0
I finally got through to someone useful (on the 3rd freaking call!!!). She said that I was definitely eligible and she knew about the dream/magic issue but there was an error on my account and she was not able to process the upgrade (she's calling me back in a day or two when this is fixed). She said that this has happened on a few accounts and that when they bring in a new promo like this that targets specific accounts, this tends to happen. So a heads up if you get someone less useful telling you that they can't process the upgrade, this might be the same issue.

Akkuzo: You should really let @RogersMary know so you don't get screwed.

Upvote 0
Hi Everyone - Just wanted to jump in here. I've ready through your posts and will go back to my team for more information, see how best to proceed.

Couple of notes:

- There is no cost to the upgrade. Please ensure the Customer Care rep is looking at your account information, it should be pre-loaded. If not, let me know.
- It is not an additional three year term. It's a three year term from the date you order the new device. Since the Dream is relatively new, that shouldn't amount to any more than 7months more, depending on when you first ordered the Dream.
- I'll have to look into that rebate offer. Not sure if/how it applies here.

As it's difficult for me to gather your personal information via the forum, I'd appreciate it if you could get in touch via Twitter at @RogersMary or @RogersHelps.

Thanks - I appreciate your added patience.
-Mary

Upvote 0
Hi Everyone - Just wanted to jump in here. I've ready through your posts and will go back to my team for more information, see how best to proceed.

Couple of notes:

- There is no cost to the upgrade. Please ensure the Customer Care rep is looking at your account information, it should be pre-loaded. If not, let me know.
- It is not an additional three year term. It's a three year term from the date you order the new device. Since the Dream is relatively new, that shouldn't amount to any more than 7months more, depending on when you first ordered the Dream.
- I'll have to look into that rebate offer. Not sure if/how it applies here.

As it's difficult for me to gather your personal information via the forum, I'd appreciate it if you could get in touch via Twitter at @RogersMary or @RogersHelps.

Thanks - I appreciate your added patience.
-Mary

Just tweeted you Rogersmary. My account is not preloaded with the swap information.

Sigh.

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Here is a portion of the summery that I received for my order. You can clearly see the $50.00 rebate.

Hardware / Equipment:
Qty 1 – Pay Monthly
Renewal Term: 36 months
HTC MAGICBLKR GSM-$0.00*
Administration Fee -$0.00*
Consumer Mail-in Rebate –$50.00**

Installation Charges / Delivery Charges:

Subtotal:
Pay Now - $0.00
Pay Monthly - $0.00

Taxes:
GST / HST: $0.00
PST / QST: $0.00

*These amounts plus applicable taxes will be charged on your invoice on or after 1/12/2010 to the following account xxxxxxxxxxx

** Reminder: $50.00 consumer mail-in rebate will be included with your order at time of delivery. Please follow the instructions on the rebate to receive a credit back on your account within 6-8 weeks.

gbd

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones