• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rogers Dream 1.6 Update

According to RogersMary. See my blog (post from Jan 12) to see the quote from the email she sent me. Also, no one who has done the exchange has yet been asked to send back the Dream.
Fair enough. When I was talking to the prez's office they said my dream needs to go back. I'll fire a DM off to @Mary and see what she says. Would be nice to have two phones.

I started.....
no one likes an attention whore

received my upgraded magic from rogers today,that was some fast shipping :)
LOL, they probably have a stack of them just waiting to be sent out to grumpy dream owners

Upvote 0
Well darn it! I should have bought the Dream so now I would have TWO phones! Glad to hear all the Dream owners are getting this upgrade. So what are us Magic owners getting as our upgrade offer? :p

Exactly, i wish i got a dream as well... Maybe they can give me 2 magics. :D

One word that can change the world:

Unlocked.

Yup, unlocked is better than contract always.

Upvote 0
I'm serious about taking a Dream off of someone's hands. I can't pay much but I want to get deeper into devel and would need a phone that doesn't need to be online like my Magic. So any lonely Dreams out there will find a nice home. If I can get more than one I'll be able to hand them back with a shiny new ROM on them that can take a non contract SIM.

Upvote 0
Hey Brodroids and Sisdroids,

I wanted to report that I have managed to call Rogers, have them agree to swap my phone and... They were polite about it... TWICE!

Here are the deets:

- They will make you renew your 3 year contract (I was only a few months into mine so no big whoop).
- The $79.00 hardware upgrade is waived.
- The $35.00 administration fee is also waived.

That was it... No hassle... No headache and NO sass from the other side of the phone. It was definitely a pleasant first from Rogers.

Barkley

Upvote 0
According to RogersMary. See my blog (post from Jan 12) to see the quote from the email she sent me. Also, no one who has done the exchange has yet been asked to send back the Dream.
Just had a DM from RogersMary which confirmed we keep the Dream's. I'm stunned and impressed.

It isn't. But I need one phone to be online for normal use while the other is under testing.
Gotcha.

So here's the next of my stupid questions. When the Magic arrives is it as simple as just putting in my old SIM card to go live? And can I swap the SIM back and forth depending on which device I want to use? If so very cool.

I'm used to Bell hardware which prior to their HPSA upgrade never used SIM cards and if you wanted to swap hardware required a call to their ever pleasant customer care team.

Upvote 0
I'm serious about taking a Dream off of someone's hands. I can't pay much but I want to get deeper into devel and would need a phone that doesn't need to be online like my Magic. So any lonely Dreams out there will find a nice home. If I can get more than one I'll be able to hand them back with a shiny new ROM on them that can take a non contract SIM.

Me too, please. I'll buy four of them!

Upvote 0
THAT has got to be worth SOME sympathy! :)
Crappy deal you have going with AT&T but try as I might I can't be sympathetic. Nothing personal keep in mind just looking at the difference between Canadian and US data rate plans.

North of the border we continue to be bent over the table with long contracts, ridiculous data limits and high costs without the common courtesy of a reach-around from the carrier. It enrages me how there's still not a unlimited data plan available.

Upvote 0
I saw that - 3YR contracts? Wow!

At any rate, looks as if the unlimited data will be going away relatively soon.
AT&T announced they are "thinking" of tiering data, and Verizon just a day or two ago said the unlimited data model cannot be sustained for much longer...

But yeah, overall, you canucks are getting used and abused by wireless Telcos.
let's see if Wind or one of the others can do something about that...

Remember, here, it took PrimeCo back in the 90's to change from non-plan per-minute charges, to plans with included minutes! PrimeCo eventually was munged into what is now Verizon Wireless.

T

Upvote 0
Crappy deal you have going with AT&T but try as I might I can't be sympathetic. Nothing personal keep in mind just looking at the difference between Canadian and US data rate plans.

North of the border we continue to be bent over the table with long contracts, ridiculous data limits and high costs without the common courtesy of a reach-around from the carrier. It enrages me how there's still not a unlimited data plan available.

I'm the last to defend the Canuckistan wireless industry. In fact I didn't use any cell provider for 7 years until recently. However I don't think it is that much better in the U.S. Their rates while less are still high and full of extras like we have. We generally get much faster data speeds at least in the GTA. And perhaps because of a lack of unlimited data we get easier access to tethering. The rest is almost criminal.

I'm not a big fan of truly unlimited. I'd rather pay less for using less. There should be a tier for everyone's needs. No overage insurance or other scams, just fair rates for how much you use.

My biggest issue up here is the lack of differential between contract and no contract. I want to more easily use an unlocked phone and then pay less for not subsidizing a phone. It is priced such that few are going unlocked and/or non contract. If more of us go no contract then things might someday change.

Do the handful of pseudo provider agnostic phone shops even sell unlocked phones? Or are they like the few computer stores that sell a small selection of overpriced handsets and not have a clue about them? Everyone is setup to do the providers bidding. I see no benefit if one shop sells a contract phone for $0 and another sells the same for $49. The 3 long years of contract is the same making that $50 irrelevant and trivial.

That's why I want an extra phone or two (another hint to you Dream folks), to play with my options and see what can be done better for less cost.

Upvote 0
Not sure if you guys noticed, but HTC has updated the Sync utility on their support website for the Rogers Magic (HTC Mobile Phone Support - HTC Magic? (Rogers) - Downloads)

When they say "Mobile Network sharing function", I can only conclude that this means they have finally made tethering available. Afraid it will only work on Windows if this is true.

Has anyone installed this latest version of the HTC Sync Utility? If so, can you confirm the "Mobile Network Sharing" function? Too bad they don't have a similar utility for Macs! *ughh*

--------------------------------------------------
HTC Sync Update 2.0.8 for HTC Magic (Rogers) | 01.07.2010

HTC Sync™ lets you synchronize Outlook and Windows Address Book (Outlook Express), contacts and calendar events on your PC with your phone. It also lets you install third-party Android applications on the phone, and the Mobile Network sharing function as well.

Upvote 0
I am unfortunately unable to take advantage of this sweet, sweet trade-in deal since I bought the phone at full-price. :(

But for those still looking in the Toronto (downtown) area, I've got a Rogers HTC Dream to sell once I switch to WIND. I'll even root it for you. Please PM me your offer.

WIND is still sorting out some issues on their end so I won't have it available right away, but will have it in the next month.

Really bummed about having bought this phone at full price. Although the biggest bummer is how expensive voice plans are on Rogers. :mad:

Upvote 0
@dahamsta, no it is the original vikings of the sagas I refer to in the handle. However there are descendants in Minnesota (hence the Vikings name) and Manitoba (Gimly, Reykjavik, etc) . When I was a kid I liked the Vikings and the Packers mainly for their hard core bad weather persona, at least to a little kid. So doesn't matter to me who wins.

100_4903.jpg

100_4884.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones