1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Rogers Dream 1.6 Update

Discussion in 'Rogers' started by Elementi, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Brendanmurphy

Brendanmurphy Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 23, 2009
    Tim Hortin's part time
    Richmond Hill, ON
    Received mine aswell =D i called them 10 mins before it was dropped off to get a tracking number lol next thing you know my phone is ringing from ups saying there downstairs

Advertisement

2. Brendanmurphy

Brendanmurphy Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 23, 2009
    Tim Hortin's part time
    Richmond Hill, ON
    Actually im doing this when the milestone comes out :p

3. yycken

yycken Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 1, 2010
    Fair enough. When I was talking to the prez's office they said my dream needs to go back. I'll fire a DM off to @Mary and see what she says. Would be nice to have two phones.

no one likes an attention whore

LOL, they probably have a stack of them just waiting to be sent out to grumpy dream owners

4. MoreYummy

MoreYummy Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 12, 2009
    Exactly, i wish i got a dream as well... Maybe they can give me 2 magics. :D

Yup, unlocked is better than contract always.

5. mjschmidt

mjschmidt Android Expert
    None

Jun 27, 2009
    Male
    In my house.
  6. vikingisson

vikingisson Android Expert
    None

I'm serious about taking a Dream off of someone's hands. I can't pay much but I want to get deeper into devel and would need a phone that doesn't need to be online like my Magic. So any lonely Dreams out there will find a nice home. If I can get more than one I'll be able to hand them back with a shiny new ROM on them that can take a non contract SIM.

7. Barkley

Barkley Lurker
    None

Dec 27, 2009
    Hey Brodroids and Sisdroids,

I wanted to report that I have managed to call Rogers, have them agree to swap my phone and... They were polite about it... TWICE!

Here are the deets:

- They will make you renew your 3 year contract (I was only a few months into mine so no big whoop).
    - The $79.00 hardware upgrade is waived.
    - The $35.00 administration fee is also waived.

That was it... No hassle... No headache and NO sass from the other side of the phone. It was definitely a pleasant first from Rogers.

Barkley

8. yycken

yycken Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 1, 2010
    How is the Magic's behavior different the the Dream?

9. vikingisson

None

It isn't. But I need one phone to be online for normal use while the other is under testing. So I'll take your Dream, Droid, whatever. :rolleyes:

10. mjschmidt

mjschmidt Android Expert
    None

Jun 27, 2009
    Male
    In my house.
    I think what he means by "online" is "a working cell phone on his wireless plan", not "on the internet".

11. boualem

boualem Member
    None

Dec 10, 2009
    HTC Dream upgrade by Rogers made it to Google news:

Sci/Tech - Google News

There are 5 articles in total.
    Make sure you click on some of the links this will:
    - improve the rank of the story
    - and also improve how long it's shown (stickiness)

12. yycken

yycken Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 1, 2010
    Just had a DM from RogersMary which confirmed we keep the Dream's. I'm stunned and impressed.

Gotcha.

So here's the next of my stupid questions. When the Magic arrives is it as simple as just putting in my old SIM card to go live? And can I swap the SIM back and forth depending on which device I want to use? If so very cool.

I'm used to Bell hardware which prior to their HPSA upgrade never used SIM cards and if you wanted to swap hardware required a call to their ever pleasant customer care team.

13. gnugu

gnugu Well-Known Member
    None

Me too, please. I'll buy four of them!

14. gnugu

gnugu Well-Known Member
    None

Yes! That's the beauty of GSM.

15. mjschmidt

mjschmidt Android Expert
    None

Jun 27, 2009
    Male
    In my house.
    I would also be interested in buying someone's Dream for my wife, if they are so inclined.

16. yycken

yycken Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 1, 2010
    Thats f'in sweet! Will run the dream with its rooted cyanogenmod OS till 1.6 is officially provided by Rogers/HTC.

I'm a happy man!

17. Sharkonwheels

Sharkonwheels Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 6, 2010
    I'd be happy with just ONE for me to use, as we don't have android phones on AT&T yet, and what's coming, is truly ridiculous!

*cough*BackFlip*cough*

THAT has got to be worth SOME sympathy! :)

T

18. yycken

yycken Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 1, 2010
    Crappy deal you have going with AT&T but try as I might I can't be sympathetic. Nothing personal keep in mind just looking at the difference between Canadian and US data rate plans.

North of the border we continue to be bent over the table with long contracts, ridiculous data limits and high costs without the common courtesy of a reach-around from the carrier. It enrages me how there's still not a unlimited data plan available.

19. Sharkonwheels

Sharkonwheels Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 6, 2010
    I saw that - 3YR contracts? Wow!

At any rate, looks as if the unlimited data will be going away relatively soon.
    AT&T announced they are "thinking" of tiering data, and Verizon just a day or two ago said the unlimited data model cannot be sustained for much longer...

But yeah, overall, you canucks are getting used and abused by wireless Telcos.
    let's see if Wind or one of the others can do something about that...

Remember, here, it took PrimeCo back in the 90's to change from non-plan per-minute charges, to plans with included minutes! PrimeCo eventually was munged into what is now Verizon Wireless.

T

20. vikingisson

None

I'm the last to defend the Canuckistan wireless industry. In fact I didn't use any cell provider for 7 years until recently. However I don't think it is that much better in the U.S. Their rates while less are still high and full of extras like we have. We generally get much faster data speeds at least in the GTA. And perhaps because of a lack of unlimited data we get easier access to tethering. The rest is almost criminal.

I'm not a big fan of truly unlimited. I'd rather pay less for using less. There should be a tier for everyone's needs. No overage insurance or other scams, just fair rates for how much you use.

My biggest issue up here is the lack of differential between contract and no contract. I want to more easily use an unlocked phone and then pay less for not subsidizing a phone. It is priced such that few are going unlocked and/or non contract. If more of us go no contract then things might someday change.

Do the handful of pseudo provider agnostic phone shops even sell unlocked phones? Or are they like the few computer stores that sell a small selection of overpriced handsets and not have a clue about them? Everyone is setup to do the providers bidding. I see no benefit if one shop sells a contract phone for $0 and another sells the same for $49. The 3 long years of contract is the same making that $50 irrelevant and trivial.

That's why I want an extra phone or two (another hint to you Dream folks), to play with my options and see what can be done better for less cost.

21. puleen

puleen Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 6, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Not sure if you guys noticed, but HTC has updated the Sync utility on their support website for the Rogers Magic (HTC Mobile Phone Support - HTC Magic? (Rogers) - Downloads)

When they say "Mobile Network sharing function", I can only conclude that this means they have finally made tethering available. Afraid it will only work on Windows if this is true.

Has anyone installed this latest version of the HTC Sync Utility? If so, can you confirm the "Mobile Network Sharing" function? Too bad they don't have a similar utility for Macs! *ughh*

--------------------------------------------------
    HTC Sync Update 2.0.8 for HTC Magic (Rogers) | 01.07.2010

HTC Sync™ lets you synchronize Outlook and Windows Address Book (Outlook Express), contacts and calendar events on your PC with your phone. It also lets you install third-party Android applications on the phone, and the Mobile Network sharing function as well.

22. chamchar

chamchar Lurker
    None

Jan 11, 2010
  23. dahamsta

dahamsta Lurker
    None

Jan 2, 2010
    vokingisson, if you are a Viking fan (Minnesota) I hope they lose against the Cowboys (I don't like either but hat the Vikings, and if you don't know what I'm talking about sorry.

24. dotster

dotster Newbie
    None

Jan 14, 2010
    I am unfortunately unable to take advantage of this sweet, sweet trade-in deal since I bought the phone at full-price. :(

But for those still looking in the Toronto (downtown) area, I've got a Rogers HTC Dream to sell once I switch to WIND. I'll even root it for you. Please PM me your offer.

WIND is still sorting out some issues on their end so I won't have it available right away, but will have it in the next month.

Really bummed about having bought this phone at full price. Although the biggest bummer is how expensive voice plans are on Rogers. :mad:

25. vikingisson

None

@dahamsta, no it is the original vikings of the sagas I refer to in the handle. However there are descendants in Minnesota (hence the Vikings name) and Manitoba (Gimly, Reykjavik, etc) . When I was a kid I liked the Vikings and the Packers mainly for their hard core bad weather persona, at least to a little kid. So doesn't matter to me who wins.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]