• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rogers Dream 1.6 Update

A question: I have is, any recommendations on a utility to copy my files to the Magic? I'd like to keep my text messages, pictures, ringtones etc. I have tried mybackup but it doesn't work even the 30day trial fails.

You won't be able to keep your text messages!

For pictures and YOUR OWN ringtones, it is quite simple. Take out the SD card!! Return the phone without it or put in the one that came with Magic. Read your manual how to do it.
The stock ringtones will be on Magic, so don't worry there.

Upvote 0
Just so that everyone is aware: Rogers will not honor their Dream-to-Magic upgrade if you are not on a 3-yr data plan.

I have spoken to various CSRs at various levels over the weekend, and nobody will do anything. The best "offer" I've had was to have my DETF fees reimbursed, and put back on a 3-yr data plan so that I could get the Magic. This is ridiculous, given that I could then simply re-cancel, and repay the fee... My total cost would then be 1 month of data plan... (unless the DETF fees changed, which would be surprising.)

Here are the details of my "story"... Basically, I'm only on a 3-yr voice plan. I was warned to stay away from Rogers when I was 1st shopping for a smartphone, but they were the only ones back then with an Android phone (in Canada.) Looks like I should've heeded the warning...

With competition ramping up in Canada (Wind, Videotron, etc.) along with "carrier-free" phones (Nexus One, etc.) I look forward to the days when consumers/customers will stop getting "shafted" by the these wireless companies...

Upvote 0
Yes, I have DMed her already a few times on Twitter (and she responded too, thanks for your help, RogersMary.)

However, she did mention that these were the terms. :(She also did ask that I contact a CSR at the OotP, but I wonder if that'll lead anywhere... I'm waiting for them to call me back. The last CSR I spoke with (have no idea if he was from the OotP) basically told me "I understand your plight, but I can't do anything, the computer won't let me do it". He's the one that offered to reimburse the DETF I already paid, and put me back on a 3-yr data plan, which I don't need and won't pay for.:mad: If Rogers insists that all smartphone owners be on a 3-yr data plan as well as as voice plan, why are the DETF so low (compared to ETF)? It does not make any economic sense to stay on a costly data plan, if you don't need the "real-time" nature of it. I'm perfectly happy syncing with my Wi-Fi at home and at the office. For the very rare times where I need "real-time", I'll gladly pay the non-plan "per MB" fees. So far, in 3 months of ownership, this has not happened.

Again, I use the phone as a PDA, that's the whole point of getting a smartphone in the first place. If Rogers can't support it correctly (as for an iPhone or Palm Pre), then what's the point of selling one? They are finally (thanks to you guys and RogersMary) offering to "make amends" with the current temporary offer to upgrade to a Magic, but so far, the strings attached to the offer make it unacceptable to me.

Upvote 0
So after 7 phone calls with 4 different people, tweeting with Mary, and a week of "technical issues" with my account, someone from the OotP finally processed my upgrade. I am now anticipating that the phone won't show up and I will have at least half a dozen phone calls to various reps to figure out what happened.

Upvote 0
I finally got my upgrade ordered this morning. Because I got my original phone plan with Rogers on a deal through work, I had to deal with Buisness services. When I would call the regular Customer Service they told me that because I had a corporate price plan that they couldn't see any of my pricing details. Anyway, with a few phone calls and some help from RogersMary, when I called today everything went smoothly. They said I should have my Magic in 3 to 5 days. Although has anyone heard lately on the backorder situation?
Cheers! :cool:

Upvote 0
HTC, Rogers and LG, you all need to look at these findings and really try to take Android seriously and understand it well.

According to new data from ChangeWave Research, both usage and consumer sentiment towards Google's mobile operating system Android has increased over the past several months. As of December 2009, the research firm's survey shows that 4% of all smartphone owners now use a phone running some version of the Android OS. That's an increase of 200% since the previous survey released in September.

Source: Android Usage Increased 200% Over Past 3 Months

Android is here to stay and has picked up steam. The more you support Android devices in a timely manner, the better chances you have of increasing customer confidence, retention and loyalty. All you three have to do is understand Android and understand it well. If you don't understand it, I'll be more than happy to help you understand the endless possibilities and how it can help you!

But for the benefit of customers, innovation and market share, do what is right. Leave no droid behind!

Upvote 0
Hi folks, I found out about the upgrade through these forums and I'm very glad I did!

I called 1-888-ROGERS1 on Friday, spoke to a representative and he knew what to do. The whole process took maybe 5-10 minutes.

Today (Tuesday), I received the phone! :D I did not have to return the Dream.
Just thought I'd share what I received with others who are still looking to upgrade.

Here's a list of things I got in the box:
- "Proof of Purchase" paper
- "Congratulations on your new wireless device" letter (states a charge of $0.00 will appear on your Rogers Wireless account)
- "How to Return Your Rogers Wireless Purchase" paper
- HTC Magic phone with Android 1.5 (of course!)
- Battery for HTC Magic (not compatible with the Dream)
- A "blank" SIM card (Only for signing up another contract - you can just use the SIM card in your Dream)
- Compatible Headphones (another set of these headphones compatible with Dream/Magic)
- An AC charger (compatible with Dream/Magic)
- A Quick Start Guide booklet (english/french)
- Warranty Statement
- HTC Magic case
- Wireless Services user guide
- License Agreement

Huge props to Rogers for pulling through and taking care of its customers!

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask ^^

Upvote 0
I called 1-888-ROGERS1 on Friday, spoke to a representative and he knew what to do. The whole process took maybe 5-10 minutes.
Spoke with TOotP on Tuesday last week, they processed the upgrade and as of this morning hasn't shipped yet :(

Huge props to Rogers for pulling through and taking care of its customers!
Despite not receiving my Magic yet I am very impressed with Rogers in how this has been dealt with and frankly the overall impression with their staff.

I come from a background working for both TELUS as well as a major US/international carrier and know how bad some customer service operations can be. Despite having spent about eight years of my career in senior rolls at TELUS and still having quite a few friends working there I refuse to do business with them for the simple fact their customer service is abysmal. This isn't just about the offshoring some of their call centers but rather an inherent view that customers are a pain in the ass and nothing more than a revenue stream. I've only dealt with Bell as a customer but my experience in the past three years is similar and has gotten consistently and predictably worse.

Whenever I've talked to Rogers be it for the Dream/Magic program, billing questions and when I first called in to inquire about moving from Bell their staff have been friendly, responsive and never got into the hard sell of trying to get me to buy something I didn't need or want. Even the dealers I went to were decent.

The only other company that offers similar levels of service is Shaw Communications. No contracts for their services, friendly staff, knowledgeable help desk tech's, usually short wait times. When I was at TELUS I took a fair bit of flack because all my services (internet, digital TV and home phone) were with Shaw. Even though I was eligible for an employee rebate which would have made my monthly bill ~$50 less then what I was paying Shaw I wouldn't use my own companies service for the simple fact they treat their customers like garbage.

Enough of my ranting.

Upvote 0
All the more reasons for Rogers to get off their high horse and stop customizing shit without really understanding how it works. And if they are going to customize it then TEST IT PROPERLY!!!!

All this could've been avoided if they used the Google based ROM and didn't ask HTC to customize the ROMs to include useless red icons.

Upvote 0
oh wow, the same bug on the Magic. If this only affects Rogers tweaked ROMs then I'm probably ok with the CyanogenMod ROM but I'm trying to get confirmation. I don't want to go back to stock, too spoiled with 1.6. And I don't leave my GPS on anyway, but the google navigation actually works when I do. :cool:

But this makes me wonder how did this happen and what was the intent of the original code change. If they are somehow trying to link current GPS data to a 911 call isn't that something that is already in the google code and available if required? Somebody made a boo boo and let's hope it wasn't something more sinister and not 911 related at all except as a side effect.

Please message me if you can part with your old Dream phone. I really want to look into Android devel as a fun hobby.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones