1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Rogers Dream 1.6 Update

Discussion in 'Rogers' started by Elementi, Oct 5, 2009.

1. mjschmidt

mjschmidt Android Expert
    None

Jun 27, 2009
    Male
    In my house.
    Except for all the very special and very useful "Rogers" modification they have to add to it. <nudge nudge, wink wink.

Advertisement

2. jimrebello

jimrebello Member
    None

Dec 8, 2009
    Does the Telus Hero not have any Telus customizations? They used to be the worst for crippling phones with their Garbage software.

Also, delaying until May isn't all that bad considering it's already April 20th, although that doesn't mean anything for us Magic users.

3. Zavod

Zavod Lurker
    None

Dec 23, 2009
    Ontario
    I feel that we, as a community, have been very patient for the last few months as we've waited for Rogers to release 2.1 for our HTC Magics.

I sincerely hope Rogers recognizes this as patience, and hasn't been interpreting our relative silence as a loss of interest.

I'm very much anticipating the release of 2.1 on the HTC Magic, and I know of others who don't post who are also looking forward to it.

Personally, I'd love to hear a little "fear not, we're working on it" from Rogers.

Or, perhaps, an anticipated release date?

4. hldnitdwn

hldnitdwn Newbie
    None

Nov 26, 2009
    All of these issues with Dream/Magic is why I ordered the Sony Ericsson X10.

The X10 is bad-ass!

I feel for everyone who traded their Dreams for Magics. They are both garbage devices + crappy camera + bugs + having to factory restore my Dream at least 5 times (literally) = sucks BIG! (not BigDogs) :cool:

Call Rogers and get a "real" Android device. Customer Retention is where I went to make this happen.

My X10 is on it's way. I've had a chance to play with one in the store. I've been waiting for this handset forever (since Nov.)....they couldn't pay me to use an HTC device EVER again!

5. vikingisson

vikingisson Android Expert
    None

Pretty cocky for someone who's only played with an x10 in a 'store'. My phone might be garbage to you but I assure you that it is a real android phone which is much more real than any phone you don't yet have. let us know how much you love it when you actually have one.
    My only problem with any phone is the provider.

6. hldnitdwn

hldnitdwn Newbie
    None

Nov 26, 2009
    Two words for your Dream/Magic...Force Close. I'm sure you've seen that on multiple occasions...probably today.

Viking, just read up on it...the X10 I mean. C'mon...you gotta be inhaling that volcano dust if you think that a Dream/Magic can stack up against the X10. It doesn't matter what ROM you're running on it. I've the bloody thing since last October. I'm speaking from an informed and highly disappointed perspective.

I too thought I was getting a good device when I ordered my Dream. It didn't take long to prove I was wrong.

I love Android and just want a top-notch device to run it on. That's the reason I'm going with the X10.

And by the way, your comment is pretty cocky coming from someone who is using a useless device.

7. vikingisson

vikingisson Android Expert
    None

I was going to reply to your points until I got to the end. *my* phone is not useless and doesn't FC. you however are useless so no need for me to continue this.

*ignore user/

8. hldnitdwn

hldnitdwn Newbie
    None

Nov 26, 2009
    Can't we all just get along? ;) Let's update our friendship to version 2.1? Somebody call HTC and Rogers to see if that's allowed...or if they're working on that version. Wait I have a Dream....not enough RAM for version 2.1 :mad:

9. Akkuzo

Akkuzo Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 15, 2009
    Wow dude... I've been harsh with people on this forum before but your just being a douche for no reason. Hope you enjoy your 1.6 until freaking September (or later) and good luck getting assistance on this site if you need it...but I'm sure with that massively overbuilt UI that took Sony like a year to get working properly, you won't have any bugs at all and it'll run perfectly smoothly forever. So your obviously in the clear.

10. raps4life

raps4life Lurker
    None

Apr 21, 2010
    Just got this from HTC about the Magic. I havn't bought my device yet, but want to make sure a 2.1 update is coming. Don't know if there is any new info here but I'll post it anyways.

:thinking:

Akkuzo likes this.
  11. Akkuzo

Akkuzo Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 15, 2009
    I think "Scheduled for the end of April" is more than anyone's been able to get out of HTC or Rogers. Way to go!

12. mjschmidt

mjschmidt Android Expert
    None

Jun 27, 2009
    Male
    In my house.
    Yeah, sadly when Puleen, Don and I asked RogersMary (and her boss) about it last night, they said that it was still on target for "mid-year" and that you should take what HTC reps say with a grain of salt.

HTC reps, like Rogers CSRs, seldom have all the real, up-to-date info, so as much as I'd like to believe it's true, it's most likely not. If it were scheduled to come at the end of April, I think Mary likely would have given us _some_ info (like maybe a "it's coming sooner than we expected, but I can't say more).

Chances are, if Mary says it's on track for mid-year (June-ish) then it likely still is.

It if changes, I'm pretty confident she will tell us something.

Sadly, HTC reps (not being in Canada) also seldom really know the difference between the different carriers, and may have confused the question with another carrier/phone (like HTC Hero, which is getting 2.1 soon, and is very similar to the Magic).

13. Akkuzo

Akkuzo Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 15, 2009
    Oh I'm well aware that the rep was probably wrong but I'm going to trade a bit of disappointment at the end of the month for 8 more days of hope that its coming sooner than later. It's just how I roll....

14. tigrr07

tigrr07 Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 20, 2009
    So any updates on when the Magic will be getting 2.1? It's getting close to 3Q, isn't that when they said the magic will be updated?

15. mjschmidt

mjschmidt Android Expert
    None

Jun 27, 2009
    Male
    In my house.
    It will be in June, but they haven't given a firm date yet. Afaik, though, they are on track for June.

newuser1 likes this.
  16. newuser1

newuser1 Newbie
    None

Jan 5, 2010
    Thanks a lot, it's good to at least have it narrowed down to a month now. :p

17. bunhead

bunhead Member
    None

Nov 26, 2009
    Computer geek
    I am curious to see how bloated and slow and unusable the rogers version of 2.1 is when it is run side by side with cyanogenmod's 2.1 port. That will be a funny test. Way to go rogers, when are you just going to change your slogan from "Canada's mobile network" to "rogers, bringing you yesterdays products sometime next month.":p:p:p:p

18. porky1981

porky1981 Newbie
    None

Dec 10, 2009
    Maybe it will be good? why so negative?....

The 1.5 update to sense was/is awesome, I love it and its much faster than the stock piece of crap they originally had on the magic. I don't use the phone for games and useless apps, so whether it is 1.5, 1.6 or 2.1 doesn't affect me. I am looking forward to vpn support though and voice searching, google nav, etc..

"rogers, bringing you yesterdays products sometime next month."

What do you want them to do, they weren't going to do anything at all but at least we will get 2.1 now.. not everyone wants to mess around rooting their phone anyway, so have fun with your cyanogenmod and i'll wait.

19. CooL_SpoT

CooL_SpoT Newbie
    None

Feb 19, 2010
    This is exactly *why* they should have been offering ROM updates right from the start. That's the majority of the reason I, and I expect many others, wanted to root my phone; so that I could experience what Android actually is, rather than what it was sometime in the past.

I do understand that most people don't care about such things, so long as their phone works as they expect it to, and there's nothing wrong with that. But there's nothing wrong with wanting to experience the latest updates, either, and Rogers shouldn't be arbitrarily restricting these devices.

Moreover, you're right, Rogers wasn't going to offer anything at all, and now Magic users are getting 2.1, and that's a good thing. I expect there are a great numer of people out there that are very pleased with that fact. The problem is that they didn't come to this decision because it's the right one, they came to this decision because people fought for it, and Rogers eventually realised that it was in their best interest to not ignore these people for too long.

It's been said before (and I appologise, I forget who said it) that Rogers had no idea what they were getting into when they decided to support Android. This, I think, is at the root (no pun intended! ;) ) of all the problems we've had with Rogers. They're used to selling phones that are relatively static from the moment they're sold until the moment they're thrown out or upgraded. Android isn't like that, Android is (ironically, considering the name) far more organic, and needs to be treated as such if Rogers actually wants to support it. This means not only ALLOWING it to grow, but SUPPORTING it in it's growth. When you try to restrict a plant too much as in it's growth it will die. Try to restrict Android too much in it's growth and it will, insofar as your sales are concerned, die. None of us want that to happen, I think all of us want Android to thrive and continue to grow, but what does that growth matter if there are no providers that are willing to support it?

20. Sanitylost

Sanitylost Newbie
    None

Dec 17, 2009
    Montreal, QC. Canada
    Just pointing out that Rogers and HTC have failed again.
    Promised upgrade to 2.1 by mid-year has not happened and no word from either one on when it will be available.
    I guess as an existing customer I don't mean much to either company.
    That is why I recommended to my friend not to switch to Rogers and he went with a different carrier.
    I guess Rogers is "Too Big to Fail"

21. TechyTJ

TechyTJ Lurker
    None

Jun 2, 2010
    Hello Everyone!

I just wanted to say that I am totally supporting you guys with this. I was interested about getting an android phone, but then i found this forum, which states that Rogers are not updating android phones... I really want to know about this issue, and i'm not looking forward to reading 35 long pages of posts.. so I was wondering if anyone would be so kind to give me a brief review of what's going on. Thanks so much!!!

22. Silvertag

Silvertag Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 16, 2009
    Montreal
    Short version

Dream: 1.5+ end of the road
    Magic: 2.1 after Rogers "quality" test the new image from HTC. Expect somewhere between end Q2 and maybe mid Q3.

Unofficial:
    Rooted Dream: 1.6
    Rooted Magic: Already on 2.1 cooked rom and soon 2.2

Saeros and TechyTJ like this.
  23. tigrr07

tigrr07 Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 20, 2009
    Does anyone think that the Magic will go past 2.1 from Rogers?

24. Silvertag

Silvertag Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 16, 2009
    Montreal
    Official word for now is no. There a some port of 2.2 and they do work on the Magic.