• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rogers only GSM carrier in Canada?

kibblex

Lurker
Jul 30, 2013
I recently bought a new blu life play, which is an unlocked dual sim phone. When I first went to use it I noticed i couldn't get calling or messaging, only data. I am currently with koodo. I went to koodo's kiosk in the mall and they had no idea.

I e-mailed blu's customer service and they thought I had a tablets sim card, but it's the same sim from my old phone.

This stuff really confuses me, but I was wondering if maybe it is a carrier bands problem. The box my phone came in says it's a gsm quad-core phone, so I need a gsm carrier, right? I thought gsm meant you needed to put a sim card in your phone like I do with koodo right now, but I googled it and it says Rogers is the only gsm carrier in Canada?

Is this my solution, switching to Rogers? Will this give me calling and messaging?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones