• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rogers Samsung Galaxy Tab - will U get one?

Will you buy a Samsung Galaxy Tab on contract from Rogers?

• Yes

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • No

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters

mjschmidt

Android Expert
Jun 27, 2009
In my house.
So, Rogers is planning to launch the Samsung Galaxy Tab. They haven't announced any details yet, so this might be like the mysterious Samsung Galaxy S Captivate they are supposed to be getting at some point. Eventually.

I was very disappointed to hear that the Tab would be offered exclusively through carriers (although I understand now that there will be a WiFi-only version).

So, not Rogers is going to try to "incentivize" people to buy a second product on contract!

Given how most people around here seem to feel about contracts, I think i know the answer, but I'm asking anyway...

Will you buy a Samsung Galaxy Tab on contract from Rogers?

I don't care if they do offer it but if that is the primary outlet for tablets then it is a major fail and I won't go near one. Having 3G or not shouldn't tie you to a contract or force it to be priced so high that sold like phones is the only real option. Getting access to google market should not require it to be tied to any single provider. Carriers will get the business if they offer a *service* that works and is competitive, pretty simple actually. It will be interesting to see how this shapes up but already it is looking bad. 3G is no more special than a 300 baud modem from yesteryear, I didn't buy my Vic20 and modem tied to a carrier back then and I won't start doing it now. But I needed service to use it so what are they afraid of? Free market capitalism?

Upvote 0
To any of you on Rogers who got a Galaxy Tab, quick question, can you move your SIM card from your Android phone to your Galaxy Tab and use the data?

I don't want to get another contract, and as far as I am concerned, data should be data, and I've already paid for 6 GB a month on my Magic that I can't possibly use completely each month.

I want to know if I buy a Tab, can I use my Magic SIM in it to get data internet?

Upvote 0
I assume people are talking about the 3G model. First off I don't see a reason why a data SIM wouldn't work so that's no problem. I've tested data/stick SIMs in smartphones and that works fine. Second, since it is too big to be a traditional phone you want a good headset which means that a data only SIM, headset, and a voip app makes this a phone that is cheaper to use than a voice + plus data plan and certainly cheaper than a tablet plus a phone.

I'd get one if it wasn't a Samsung and give up also having a phone. The ~7" form is about right to be an all in one mobile device. Voice is low on the list but with voip it can certainly do it.

Upvote 0
Does anyone know if it's possible to tether your phone to the Galaxy Tab? I would think that would save having to get a separate plan for the Tab. I was looking at one a couple nights ago at Best Buy. I liked it for the amount of time I spent trying it out. Not sure though if I'd be willing to drop that much coin (that I don't really have) just for a new gadget (that I really don't need).

Upvote 0
Does anyone know if it's possible to tether your phone to the Galaxy Tab? I would think that would save having to get a separate plan for the Tab. I was looking at one a couple nights ago at Best Buy. I liked it for the amount of time I spent trying it out. Not sure though if I'd be willing to drop that much coin (that I don't really have) just for a new gadget (that I really don't need).

Of course you can. But listen to your heart, do you need it and can you afford it, is it worth a few moments of cool? And the biggest problem is it is a Samsung. Specs are nice but it is a Samsung and that is high risk.

Upvote 0
I don't think you can tether it using a USB cable, you would need to be running 2.2 on your phone to make it a WiFi hotspot, would you not?

While I don't have a Tab yet myself (undecided) I've seen it reported that you can put your Rogers SIM from our phone in to your tab to get data.

The Galaxys should already be on 2.2, the Tab ships with it. Not sure if the Rogers version has the update yet but Bell's has it now. These Samsungs rather suck in general on the stock 2.1. But even with 2.1 you can grab an app for tethering (might need root). For WiFI you might need 2.2 to get non adhoc mode but I haven't had trouble when I needed it.

FYI, I tested USB tethering on a 2.1 Magic (linux client) and it worked fantastic. Root being the key for 2.1

However, are you able to buy a Tab without a SIM plan? I know the Bell's is sold "without contract" but you won't be able to buy it without activating at least a PAYG plan. Doesn't make sense but that's the stupid rules.

Upvote 0
Let us know because for sure you can't get a Bell Tab without some kind of SIM. You could get a PAYG for a month I suppose (not sure) but that's silly. I managed to get an SGS moments before they shut the door on that option which I now regret because of the corruption issues these turkey phones have.

So my concern would be whether or not the Tab suffers from the same design issues of the SGS.

FYI, Samsung Canada has just halted all further 2.2 updates for Bell and Rogers due to massive problems people are having. Finally the issues are coming to light. The fanboys that called me crazy are now getting their brick too.

Upvote 0
Well, RogersMiranda confirmed via Twitter that the Tab would be included in their new $50 unlock scheme, and you can apparently move your SIM back and forth between your phone and the Tab to get data (that's not official from Rogers, just something users have confirmed).

However I too am worried about buying one and getting shafted (again) on official updates to the OS.

For now I'm saving my money, and waiting to see what's coming in the new year. Maybe I'll just get a netbook?

Upvote 0
Well, RogersMiranda confirmed via Twitter that the Tab would be included in their new $50 unlock scheme, and you can apparently move your SIM back and forth between your phone and the Tab to get data (that's not official from Rogers, just something users have confirmed).

However I too am worried about buying one and getting shafted (again) on official updates to the OS.

For now I'm saving my money, and waiting to see what's coming in the new year. Maybe I'll just get a netbook?

They unlock captivates to?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones