1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support rollback samsung update?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by kirst2, Jan 13, 2014.

1. kirst2

kirst2 Lurker
    None

Jan 13, 2014
    is there a way to roll back an update on Samsung s3 ...i got an unlock code from fido..didnt work...called them back. They told me there was a glitch with they new update and can't,unlock phone right,now with it. My question is can I roll back the update to a previous one so I can unlock my,phone and go to a different provider?!

Advertisement

2. mydian

mydian Android Expert

Apr 8, 2012
    Male
    2-Way Radio Repair Technician
    Chicagoland
    If you updated OTA (over the air) unfortunately do to the new Knox boot loader you can't down grade. It will brick the phone.

Here is some information on the new Knox security Samsung has forced upon us. I know this is in the sprint section at XDA but it doesn't matter. All S3s that took this update OTA have Knox now.
    [FAQ] KNOX and you - xda-developers

3. TheQuicken

TheQuicken Member
    None

Oct 21, 2012
    Do you mean root? if so, yes you can root, but KNOX will still be the boot-loader. KNOX is just a tool put on our phones that tells the carrier that we have rooted our phone and will no longer honor a warranty if something goes wrong. Rooting S3 is actually very easy and you get serious quality out of your phone. If you are apprehensive in rooting, you don't need to be. There is plenty of help out here on the forums to assist.:)

4. kirst2

kirst2 Lurker
    None

Jan 13, 2014

I apologize. I had no idea there were so many things that go along with this..either way i need to figure out how to do this..telus gave me a nokia lumia to use until i can figure out howto unlock....i personally hateeee it!!! .....i have never connected my phone to a comouter other then to charge it. Not sure if this helps. Also i guess i am on 4.3 i just checked. Im worried if i take it in and pay to unlock it..it will brick and ill be out money and a phone...

5. tensazan

tensazan Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 21, 2011
    Indiana
    I wonder if when you spoke to your carrier about unlocking, they gave you a code to carrier unlock your phone, because as far as I know, you can't unlock the bootloader or anything with only a code.

As for rooting, I think there's a root for 4.3, but it's only a root, and trying to unlock the bootloader will brick your phone, and you still won't be able to flash custom roms.

6. kirst2

kirst2 Lurker
    None

Jan 13, 2014
    So...its useless to me now that im with another carrier cause its stuck with fido?!

7. tensazan

tensazan Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 21, 2011
    Indiana
    Not necessarily. I might have misunderstood one of your posts. Taking it in to carrier unlock the phone can work, but rolling back from 4.3 to try to fix the glitch will not. Your current carrier might be able to carrier unlock it in their store.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

8. mydian

mydian Android Expert

Apr 8, 2012
    Male
    2-Way Radio Repair Technician
    Chicagoland
    Ah so there we go. No you can't roll back the update with Odin. The unlock code so you can use the phone on any carrier is an issue between you and Fido. Either the code they gave you is wrong or as they said something is screwed up with the new update. You can still root the phone running 4.3 but I have no idea how that will help you unlock the phone as I've never done anything like that.

I would try contacting Samsung about the issue and see what they say. Tell them your old carrier (Fido) says the new 4.3 update won't allow you to unlock the phone and see where it goes. Good luck.

9. kirst2

kirst2 Lurker
    None

Jan 13, 2014

Thanks guys!!! I will call in morning and see...rhanks for trying to trouble shoot with me