1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Rolling my own custom CM7 Update.zip

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by daveradiofm, Aug 8, 2011.

1. daveradiofm

daveradiofm Newbie
    None

Jun 30, 2011
    Okay, so I decided to "roll" my own cm7 update zip for the Ascend since my phone tends to be the lazy Ascend, and it's very picky on the CM7 custom roms that I use. (The only successful one was BobZHome's from 070811) Plus, I was hoping to solve my earbud and custom ringtone issues from the nightly CM7 builds since it hadn't been fixed with the earlier builds from June and July.

I used the tutorial found here using Debian 6.

How to compile CyanogenMod 7 from source for your Huawei Ascend - Prepaid Android

I created VBox of Debian 6 and went to town. I also re-edited the Issacj87's repository to Etnie since that repository is hosting those files. I did get all the way to the end, but hit a snag on the build process right away.

I get this error.

build/core/product_config.mk:194: *** _nic.PRODUCTS.[[vendor/cyanogen/products/cyanogen_harmony.mk]]: "device/nvidia/harmony/device_harmony.mk" does not exist. Exit

Product_config.mk is a series of strings that doesn't specifically mention that file, so I knew that's not the file I want.

I did a quick google search, but it led me to this page ([Devs only] X10 Froyo AOSP / CM6 Sources / cm6 build tutorial Released ! [Archive] - xda-developers). It was mainly dealing with Froyo and CM6, but it did show me to look into my .repo folder and to look for default.xml and manifest.xml and the string would be there. Found the files, but there was no string mentioning harmony or nvidia.

The weird thing is that I do have a device_harmony.mk, but it's in /android/system/vendor/cyanogen folder along with all the other mk's. I also have a device folder, but it lists among other folder the malata which from what I understand used to be the harmony tablet device.

I think my main question is should I duplicate the malata folder and rename it nvidia, or is there another xml file that's pulling the obsolete harmony sync.

Advertisement

2. PlayfulGod

PlayfulGod Android Expert
    None

Jan 28, 2011
    Male
    Web Design and Hosting/PC Repair
    NW Georgia
    Etnie's aka pip's repo wont work as its for Cm6 (2.2) and hasnt been updated in months and wasnt in a buildable state last he worked with it. I would say you could use my repo but its not in a buildable state atm either.

the error you're getting is for the product specs for a viewsonic gtablet in the vendor.cyanogen/product's dir.

3. daveradiofm

daveradiofm Newbie
    None

Jun 30, 2011
    Maybe, I can bypass that and just get the zip files from your repo to tar to the directory that I used with Etnie's.

The main repo sync was with gingerbread that took hours to sync. (curl http://android.git.kernel.org/repo > ~/bin/repo) That didn't seem dependent on Isaacj87's repo

Etnie's repo just had the Froyo specific Ascend files. I can just download the files from your repo, overwrite, and rebuild.

Incidentally if you don't mind me asking :D, how did you build your roms if your repo for the Ascend isn't complete?

The only reason I'm asking is because I want to build a rom that works with the nuances on my phone, that doesn't route mic audio to average headphones when plugged in, and that I can actually set the custom ringtone for different family members instead of having the default one go off all the time. I know both of these issues are CM7 related, but might have been fixed with the nightly builds.

4. PlayfulGod

None

Jan 28, 2011
    Male
    NW Georgia
    my repo builds but the boot.img wont boot or causes wifi issues. I swap out the boot.img from my 0624 build for my last 3 builds.

you're welcome to pull my mine and try to use. Far as Etnie's repo goes the kernel and other things are froyo and wont work with 2.3. The issues you are wanting to fix arent the fault of CM7, but due to lack of src's for the huawei specific files. the ringtone issue wont be fixed until a better kernel can be built (non .29) or so I was told.

The repo you sync'd with tho is AOSP src not CM7's. You want CM7 you need to sync with:
    Code (Text):
    2.  repo init -u git://github.com/CyanogenMod/android.git -b gingerbread
    Code (Text):
    1. repo sync -j16
    And if you find the issue with my boot.img please share lol

my repo is: https://github.com/playfulgod/android

5. daveradiofm

daveradiofm Newbie
    None

Jun 30, 2011
    Thanks, I'll give it a try later tonight and let you know about the success of it.

The repo you gave me was the one I tried from How to compile CyanogenMod 7 from source for your Huawei Ascend - Prepaid Android.

The complete section was initializing the repo and the syncing the repo for gingerbread.

Set Up Repo
    Code (Text):
    2. [LIST=1]
    3. [*]mkdir ~/bin
    4. [*]curl http://android.git.kernel.org/repo > ~/bin/repo
    5. [*]chmod a+x ~/bin/repo
    6. [/LIST]
    Add Repo and ADB to PATH
    Code (Text):
    3. [LIST=1]
    4. [*]export PATH=$PATH:~/android-sdk-linux_x86/platform-tools:~/bin
    5. [/LIST]
    Initialize Gingerbread Repository
    Code (Text):
    3. [LIST=1]
    4. [*]mkdir -p ~/android/system
    5. [*]cd ~/android/system
    6. [*]repo init -u git://github.com/CyanogenMod/android.git -b gingerbread
    7. [/LIST]
    Sync Gingerbread Repository
    Code (Text):
    3. [LIST=1]
    4. [*]repo sync -j16
    5. [/LIST]
    Everything worked up until Issacj87's repository which didn't have the Ascend's files. I jumped on Etnie's thinking that he had the most current.

Do you know what file(s) on the Ascend calls the script for ringtones and mic routing. I might see what I can do to tweak those.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, and I will hopefully have some kind of working modified version this week.

What do you think jacked your boot.img? It had to be some kind of change in the repository in the build that screwed it up.

I'll let you know how it all turns out,

Regards

6. PlayfulGod

None

Jan 28, 2011
    Male
    NW Georgia
    Not sure, it was all fine up til I sync'd for RC1 which was on my old laptop so I can't even revert it now.

Tried to use BobZhome's repo of device_huawei_ascend since his was building n working for him but gave the same results for me. So it was determined he must had some local changes that did get pushed to github.

7. daveradiofm

daveradiofm Newbie
    None

Jun 30, 2011
    Sorry, it has taken me so long to get back with you. Had to rebuild my Debian VM, and I had a couple of things come up. I rebuilt using the sync repository from gingerbread, and I also used your repository.

I'm making progress. However, I came up with a new error.

[​IMG]

Went to my /android/system/device/htc folder, and Lo and behold, the buzz folder was there, but there was nothing in it.

So, I deleted the folder and attempted a resync which failed with the error below.

[​IMG]

As you can tell, I did a second resync and the error didn't display. However, the buzz folder was recreated with nothing in it once again.

I did had my internet connection die after I repoed the first time in the middle. Tried it again, and I came up with that error message above, but when I did a follow up sync it finished successfully, or at least I thought.

Do I need to clear a file and try to rebuild again?

Edit: Okay, I was able to rebuild the buzz folder and passed that error, but now I'm getting the error:

This sometimes feels like using a match in a dark cave.