• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM][4.0.4][BETA] CM9 for Virgin Mobile and Sprint 10/3/2013

I've attached a logcat for the camcorder not working. No errors on the camcorder. Pressing the record button just flashes the button and that's it.

VirginMobile network for delivering MMS messages has been painfully slow today. As soon as I receive a photo from a test, I'll supply a logcat for the images in text messages as well.

Edit: Logcat did not attach. Will have to send via PM.

------------

That may be a network problem

Upvote 0
Just remembered a glitch, sometimes the audio (all of it, headset/earpiece volume in call, media volume headset and speaker, etc) will cut out, and won't let me revive it until a full reboot, at which point I will find out that the battery controller has also frozen. I would post a logcat if I knew how to pull one, if someone can throw up a link I'll catch it the next time it glitches.

Upvote 0
phenomx4, thanks for updating your git. Are all the packages necessary? I'm getting a conflict between android_hardware_qcom_camera and the libcamera directory in android_device_lge_m3s.

on another note, I've compiled the kernel with the linaro toolchain, according to quadrant it's getting almost 25% better io performance. optimization on this is still -Os, having size issues with -O3, so there's potential for more once I work around that. If anyone wants to give it a try, flash this zip on top of the current build. vm696_cm9_kernel_08_30_01_35.zip
Credits to phenomx4 and giantpune

Upvote 0
anyone else having problems with profiles? my settings force closes when I attempt to change settings for default profile. Thanks in advance

I'm having the exact same problem. I posted about it a page or two back, and posted the pastebin for the log. I hope. I'm pretty sure I'm doing that rightly, but I'm very end-usery, so I might have goofed it up.

I can run it again and post another log later this morning, if that will help.

Other things I've noticed, since our beloved benefactor asked:

When I pull down the notifications tray, I can swipe away individual notices, until I get down to only one remaining. If there's only one notice in the tray, it won't swipe away. Doesn't seem to matter what the notice is.

It bogs down pretty badly when there's more than a couple things going on. I've got cpu set to 460 min and whatever was at the top of the list for max, using smartass2, and it's bedrock-stable. I followed a couple of settings suggestions from this thread - limited processes to 4, and enabled the app killing back button, and that seems to have helped a little - but it still slows down quite a bit with normal use.

Which is still a damn sight better than locking up and/or rebooting all the time like it used to.

I have had one battery pull in about three days, phone wouldn't wake up from sleep, but I'm pretty sure that's an intermittent hardware issue with my phone, as it's done the same thing with every rom i've tried.

If I see anything else, I'll post it! Overall fantastic ROM, and I can't give enough thanks to Phenom and everyone else who's worked on it. Donations will commence as soon as payday happens to my bank account, cause nothing says thanks like cash! :-D

Upvote 0
phenomx4, thanks for updating your git. Are all the packages necessary? I'm getting a conflict between android_hardware_qcom_camera and the libcamera directory in android_device_lge_m3s.

on another note, I've compiled the kernel with the linaro toolchain, according to quadrant it's getting almost 25% better io performance. optimization on this is still -Os, having size issues with -O3, so there's potential for more once I work around that. If anyone wants to give it a try, flash this zip on top of the current build. lgoe_pernel_[VM]_08_28_23_29.zip
Credits to phenomx4 and giantpune
http://d-h.st/Nlu
Seems to kill my WiFi completely I first installed over my current rom and no WiFi, and then I did a clean install then the kernel same thing no WiFi. (Cleaned cache and fix permissions on both instances, no go)

Here is my logs
http://pastebin.com/Ab77GUxD

Upvote 0
Did you download the media-profiles.xml a few posts back?

Yes I did copy that profile over to system/etc/, however, I copied the .xml file again and video recording works fine with one exception. When selecting the video's thumbnail to play it, I initially receive an error of 'Sorry, this video cannot be played.' The video will play without the error message a second time if played from the thumbnail. This error dialog box is not displayed if navigating to the sdcard and playing video direct from a file manager application.

------------

Upvote 0
anyone else having problems with profiles? my settings force closes when I attempt to change settings for default profile. Thanks in advance

Fixed

Attachments

• 1377792145271.jpg
    1377792145271.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 94
Reactions: hoosiercheetah
Upvote 0
I set my governor to smartassv2 and my I/O Scheduler to Noop. Also, checked the Force GPU Rendering. This has seemed to improve the white screen issue I have been having with certain apps like gmail. I am now only getting the white screen about 25% of the time.

Another fix I read about is to disable the recently used apps. If you hold down the home screen the recently used apps show and you can remove them by swiping left. Supposedly you can disable them from appearing by editing the build.prop. Does anyone know how to edit the Elite CM9 build.prop to disable recently used apps?

Upvote 0
Installed last night and noticible performance improvement over stock ROM, also better battery life :). As mentioned in prior posts, having same issue with camcorder, while in camcorder mode, pressing the red record on screen I get a message similar to:
'Unfortunatly Camera Has Stopped Working' , at which point the app force closes. However takes stills with no noticable issues. Other than that, really liking the CM9 ICS on this phone, Great Job and Thanks!!

Upvote 0
Seems to kill my WiFi completely I first installed over my current rom and no WiFi, and then I did a clean install then the kernel same thing no WiFi. (Cleaned cache and fix permissions on both instances, no go)

Here is my logs
Logcat lgoe_pernel_[VM]_08_28_23_29 - Pastebin.com

Thanks, log shows the wifi driver couldn't be loaded. I'll scratch linaro 4.8 from my list for now, and add that to my list of things to verify.

Upvote 0
I use an app called Sanity to record phone calls. With stock and ROMs based on stock, I could set the recording source in the app to phone call and the recordings would be perfectly clear.

With CM9, selecting phone call as the recording source just produces 0 length files. So, I have to set the recording source to microphone, which gives very staticy recordings in which it is very hard to hear the person I called.

Other than that I really like the work you have done.

I'll try to get a log of trying to record with phone call as the recording source.

Upvote 0
Thanks, log shows the wifi driver couldn't be loaded. I'll scratch linaro 4.8 from my list for now, and add that to my list of things to verify.

As it turns out the linaro 4.8 compile is okay, I just compiled the wrong defconfig :stupido2:. The more you know. New kernel, round 2: vm696_cm9_kernel_08_30_01_35.zip

and of course credit to phenomx4 and giantpune

Reactions: helloin321
Upvote 0
Here is a snippet from the log that I believe is relevant to my recording issue.

.IInputMethodClient$Stub$Proxy@41231b30
--------- beginning of /dev/log/main
I/AudioHardwareMSM7X30( 799): do input routing device 0
W/AudioRecord( 799): obtainBuffer timed out (is the CPU pegged?) user=00000000, server=00000000
I/AudioHardwareMSM7X30( 799): do input routing device 4000000
D/AudioHardwareMSM7X30( 799): AudioStreamInMSM72xx::standby()
W/AudioRecord( 799): obtainBuffer timed out (is the CPU pegged?) user=00000000, server=00000000
D/wpa_supplicant( 6915): wpa_driver_wext_driver_cmd RSSI len = 248
D/wpa_supplicant( 6915): wpa_driver_wext_driver_cmd lockon0498 rssi -62
D/wpa_supplicant( 6915): len = 20, 20
D/wpa_supplicant( 6915): wpa_driver_wext_driver_cmd LINKSPEED len = 248
D/wpa_supplicant( 6915): wpa_driver_wext_driver_cmd LinkSpeed 2
D/wpa_supplicant( 6915): len = 12, 12

Upvote 0
As it turns out the linaro 4.8 compile is okay, I just compiled the wrong defconfig :stupido2:. The more you know. New kernel, round 2: vm696_cm9_kernel_08_30_01_35.zip

and of course credit to phenomx4 and giantpune

Exactly what does this kernel do for everyone on the current CM build (8-23-13)?

------------

Reactions: helloin321
Upvote 0
hey im still have problems with the camera i cant record videos on snapchat or instagram and some apps still keep crashing could u plz send me a patch or something

I notice that if you load the camera up then exit and renter it gives an "Can't connect to the camera" error. If you wait a moment then reenter it works again. Its a little annoying but not a huge deal. I couldn't get video to record either.

FYI - Signal bars is lower than before. My wife has the same phone and it shows more signal than mine.

Also photos taken don't show in gallery. Can I fix that some how?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones