• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Rom][5-26-12]Broken Out Spectrum 3.0 w/ Blitzkrieg Kernel

Flashed and so far, so good. The lock screen and battery icon are welcome changes, as is the speed of things. I've noticed some apps that previously acted up are perfect now.

The only thing I'd like to see... The rebooting command is great, but it shuts down, then turns the phone back on, but a reboot method like what rom toolbox uses would be faster.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2

Upvote 0
Couple of things,

1. the ROM toolbox reboot to recovery does not work for me, it just guess to a black screen with backlight on, no response from the phone unless I hold power for 5 seconds or whatever it takes to force power off.

2. The button press to get into recovery, hood the power button down first, then hit home about 300 milliseconds later (read "asap"), hold both for about 2.5-3 seconds, then release power, I keep holding home until CWM greets me. Works 100% of the time, and I've never had the boot loop from it (cross my fingers, downloading the bootloop.zip now!), this is my third Spectrum handset in less than 3 weeks.

3. My random reboots stopped after flashing this ROM.

I've flashed several times, as I modified this ROM and got it down to ~185MB (for the zip file) removing a few more things.

4. I have the quiet speaker phone and regular sounds during phone calls, but have a really loud "Droid" notification sound! I do use sound manager to run audio volume schedules, but turn the volume all the way up during calls.

5. I'm using adw launcher, as I have beef with 1 setting option that go is missing vs. adw, and a couple of other things I like better how they are handled in adw.

6. I recommend three or four reboots after installing this ROM, two before adding your gmail account (not really necessary, but makes me feel good!) And one right after setting up your gmail account. Then another after opening the market and letting the phone sync your Google data. Right now my Spectrum boots in 22-24 seconds, including unlocking the screen and loading my widgets, from a powered off state. My HTC Evo took ~90 seconds, rooted with a custom ROM and kernel.

Upvote 0
The easy recovery method is not working as it should be for people. I do believe I am going to have to close the thread until I work out a better sollution. Until then, if you really desperately need to get back to stock, you this method.

Flashing LG signed Firmware - LG Spectrum - RootzWiki

Thanks Neph. I don' need to return to stock, I'd just like to get back into the rom if possible. I reactivated my Droaid x in the meantime so I don't miss calls etc. If it's possible to use the button combo to get into recovery and then from there get a fix I'm all for that. The button combo instructions are a tad vague :) I downloaded the files from your link above and will give that a try as a last resort.

Thanks for the help.

Upvote 0
I have used the button method and workes every time to get into cwm.
Just hold down volume down& power till you see the lg logo, and it will boot into cwm. Do a nadroid backup and follow the instructions. Read all the posts in this thread as they will answer some qiestions.Don't foget to dowload the bootloop fix .zip file to your sd card as it will come in handy.
If i can do it anabody can.This is the first time rooting and flashing a android phone and I had a few Problems but have your laptop on while you are doing it for reference. Good Luck

Reactions: Markinter
Upvote 0
I have used the button method and workes every time to get into cwm.
Just hold down volume down& power till you see the lg logo, and it will boot into cwm. Do a nadroid backup and follow the instructions. Read all the posts in this thread as they will answer some qiestions.Don't foget to dowload the bootloop fix .zip file to your sd card as it will come in handy.
If i can do it anabody can.This is the first time rooting and flashing a android phone and I had a few Problems but have your laptop on while you are doing it for reference. Good Luck

Thanks hager,

On the button combo sequence apparently the pause then power power refers to confirming the request to factory reset, I mistakenly thought I needed the entire sequence to enter cwm. I'm going to remove memory card and add the bootloop fix before I attempt to factory reset.

Thanks again for your help.

Upvote 0
You don't have to remove your sd card just go to the theard about the bootloop and download with your phone . It will be put on a file named download.

Thanks hager,

I wiped data and reflashed the rom and the phone is ready to re-activate. I need another sim because I activated my droidx and the old sim is retired by verizon immediately after you de-activate the phone. That is no problem though I can get a new sim from them tomorrow. I'm very happy to have phone running again. I may unroot before I take it in or just tell them I can install the sim.

Upvote 0
Thanks hager,

I wiped data and reflashed the rom and the phone is ready to re-activate. I need another sim because I activated my droidx and the old sim is retired by verizon immediately after you de-activate the phone. That is no problem though I can get a new sim from them tomorrow. I'm very happy to have phone running again. I may unroot before I take it in or just tell them I can install the sim.

You should be able to press the home button to bypass that setup program (it is the Verizon one) if the Android stop does not run after you press home and you have issues (example = the notification bar is not working, or starting an app then pressing home does not take you home), go to the apps on the phone and run the setup, it should be listed there, if not, install titanium and you can run the setup app from titanium

I see the auto brightness issue that was reported. The phone gets brighter when pointed at light and dimmer when away, which seems reversed, but I doubt it's the rom.

Sent from my VS920 4G

No, that is correct, on this type of screen, you need more brightness to see in the sun, and less to see in the dark, unless you miss typed, or if you want to go blind from the kick arse screen on the Spectrum!

Upvote 0
I'm having an odd problem. I noticed it happened on the stock ROM as well. Occasionally, when I'm texting, it gets bogged down. The car dock icon will pop up and everything shuts off. Goes straight to the home screen. Whatever I was working on text or mail, will not be saved to drafts.
Anyone got any ideas?

I've noticed this too, both on the stock ROM and this one. I'm trying to figure out how to remove the car dock APP safely.

Reactions: WaVeS
Upvote 0
Glad to hear.

So I see Beats libs for audio were added... How do we make use of Beats audio? I didn't see a setting.

Sent from my VS920 4G

Theory is it is supposed to work on everything out of the box. Reality, I believe it is the cause if the low audio from speakerphone and could possibly remove it.

Upvote 0
Ok this will be my first Rom flash so i have a few questions to make sure i am doing everything right.

1. getting the file on the sd card? Is it as simple as navogating to this forum on phone and dowloading the file?
2. Back up? I have done a nandroid frm CWM and i have done titanium backups. i will also make a copy of my card on my computer, is this all i need to? or is there more to it?
3. wipe data? i do this from CWM correct? im not sure what gingervolt is, so that shouldnt apply to me.
4.getting all my downloaded content back on the phone? and contacts ans such?
5. going back to stock rom? easy? the reson why im doing back ups?

thank in advance. i know im new and annoying, but im juts being cautious and making sure im doing everything correctly.

I have su access... CWM installed... done a titanium back up... downloaded the .zip file to sd card.
But I'm stuck on #2 and #3. when ever I try to execute anything in CWM, I get "You must have CWM Recovery installed before continuing"
When I click on Flash ClockworkMod Recovery... I don't see the LG spectrum in there... what am I missing for this step?

Upvote 0
I have su access... CWM installed... done a titanium back up... downloaded the .zip file to sd card.
But I'm stuck on #2 and #3. when ever I try to execute anything in CWM, I get "You must have CWM Recovery installed before continuing"
When I click on Flash ClockworkMod Recovery... I don't see the LG spectrum in there... what am I missing for this step?

Don't use rom manager

Upvote 0
Can't he reboot into recovery from rom manager that's how I got into it

I did this. Same problem. I'm a root virgin.

I have steps 1-3 done... but

4.) WIPE DATA!!! (You do not need to wipe if already on GingerVolt!)
-- what do I use to do this?
5.) Go to install zip from sdcard
-- Go to the zip from what? (what are you using to navigate to the .zip?)

6.) Select BrokenOutSpectrum1.0.zip
7.) Do not wipe data after flashing!!!
8.) Reboot!

Upvote 0
I did this. Same problem. I'm a root virgin.

I have steps 1-3 done... but

4.) WIPE DATA!!! (You do not need to wipe if already on GingerVolt!)
-- what do I use to do this?
5.) Go to install zip from sdcard
-- Go to the zip from what? (what are you using to navigate to the .zip?)

6.) Select BrokenOutSpectrum1.0.zip
7.) Do not wipe data after flashing!!!
8.) Reboot!

If you have rooted and installed CWM then you must go into CWM and install the rom from there.

steps 4-8 are done in CWM. If you have rom toolbox pro then open it up and in the tools tab scroll down to the bottom and choose rebooter, then choose your third option "reboot recovery".

your phone will restart and you will go into recovery (thats is if you've installed it).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones