• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ROM and recovery question

hortstu

Android Enthusiast
Jun 29, 2010
So I finally have the time to wipe and rerom. I'm still on clockwork. Switched to amon ra a long time ago, then read all the anti RA threads, apparently that's not the case anymore. Amon Ra is the preferred recovery. So i'm thinking I might as well make the switch while I do everything else.

I'm in the process of doing all my backups, Ti, mybackup, a nandroid, a sync, save card to computer just in case...

Then I figure I wipe a dozen times and use that wipe app or whatever it was. Need that link if anyone has it handy.

Then flash the ROM... I'm just doing a reinstall of MikG...

Then the kernel.

Then the recovery.

Then start reloading all the stuff I can't live without.

Do I have the order right here?

Any suggestions recomendations?

I've done this a few times now but it's always at least a month apart from the last time so it isn't fresh in my mind. I know I can do it I just sweat losing something important.

Thanks.

Only thing I will add here is make sure you stay with Amon RA 2.3 and not Amon RA Syle 3.11 Some have had some issues restoring Nandroids from 3.11 now the nice thing about it is it compresses the nandroid so i hope they get the issues resolved for the next version.

Haven't had any issues to speak of with 3.11.

Any one see this? After I did a compressed backup, it was around 500mb, then I restored that compressed backup later in the week and when I went to see the size of the backup, it was back to its normal backup size, around 745mb:thinking:

Upvote 0
Haven't had any issues to speak of with 3.11.

Any one see this? After I did a compressed backup, it was around 500mb, then I restored that compressed backup later in the week and when I went to see the size of the backup, it was back to its normal backup size, around 745mb:thinking:

No I haven't. When I restored my nandriod the phone was acting like the first boot. I shut it back down cleared cache and dalvic then rebooted it then acted like a phone should act

Reactions: andygu3
Upvote 0
No I haven't. When I restored my nandriod the phone was acting like the first boot. I shut it back down cleared cache and dalvic then rebooted it then acted like a phone should act

So, you haven't seen this or you're not having this issue? I'm not going to use the compressed backup anyways since I don't keep nandroids around for very long and the 200mb difference isn't that big of a deal, imo. I was just curious if any others were seeing this.

Upvote 0
So, you haven't seen this or you're not having this issue? I'm not going to use the compressed backup anyways since I don't keep nandroids around for very long and the 200mb difference isn't that big of a deal, imo. I was just curious if any others were seeing this.

My bad no I haven't seen the issue with the compression issue you stated however when I restored I did not check the size

Upvote 0
I'm assuming its just to save time? Maybe its a bug I'm not sure.

The file would have to be decompressed to restore your nandroid, and recompressing it after its finished would take a very long time.

Just throwing thoughts out there

That's a good thought, thanks:)

I guess then, what's the point of a compressed backup if it stays decompressed after restore, kinda defeats the purpose, imo.

Oh, well, sorry to hijack the thread:)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones