• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM][AOSP][OFFICIAL] MIUI v0.6 (1.3.5) HTC Incredible | English | Deodexed | Updated 3/7/2011

Do we get the Swype beta to work on here?

you have to reboot after installing it. And sometimes you have to select another keyboard, type something, then switch back to swype. And then maybe reboot, I did have a little trouble getting it to work on mine but after doing those things it eventually worked and haven't had a problem since.

Edit: I also redownloaded the installer from the site to reauthorize the app.

Upvote 0
I switched from SR Athena and boy am I glad I did!

Battery life has been decent and I have been trying out all my apps.

fpse: menu didn't show up until I changed the menu style to original grid

beyondpod: had a weird space in the middle of program, downloaded the new beyondpod beta and it's now fixed

Other than that... smooth.

So many little features built into this baby!

Upvote 0
I recently switched to MIUI 1.3.5 w/stock kernel. At first everything was working wonderfully. I installed using ROM manager and cleared cache/data.

I did not restore apps from a backup; simply went to the market and started downloading a few things. My phone had gotten cluttered up with too many things I never actually used.

Now, whenever I install a new app it force closes upon launch. I first attempted to just reboot but that didn't fix the FCs. Then I repaired permissions using ROM manager and rebooted. Works!

Only trouble is that I must repair permissions and reboot after installing each app or else it just force closes repeatedly.

So far I've had this experience with every app I've installed so far:

Dolphin HD
Lookout
Beautiful Widgets
Last.fm
Pandora
SiMi Clock
Titanium Backup
1Password
Evernote
SoundHound
K9 email

I really like MIUI and can't find reports from other users having similar experiences. Any suggestions what is going on or how to fix it?

Here's the beginning & end of the force close report from K9 email. I can post the entire thing if it'd be helpful but it's pretty long.

Code:
device_model:inc
build_version:1.2.19
condition:1
processName:com.fsck.k9
pid:921
uid:10086
tag:null
shortMsg:java.lang.NullPointerException
longMsg:java.lang.NullPointerException: Unable to get provider com.fsck.k9.provider.AttachmentProvider: java.lang.NullPointerException
stackTrace:java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to get provider com.fsck.k9.provider.AttachmentProvider: java.lang.NullPointerException
at android.app.ActivityThread.installProvider(ActivityThread.java:4509)
at android.app.ActivityThread.installContentProviders(ActivityThread.java:4281)
at android.app.ActivityThread.handleBindApplication(ActivityThread.java:4237)
at android.app.ActivityThread.access$3000(ActivityThread.java:125)
at android.app.ActivityThread$H.handleMessage(ActivityThread.java:2071)
at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:99)
at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:123)
at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:4627)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invokeNative(Native Method)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:521)
at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:870)
at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:628)
at dalvik.system.NativeStart.main(Native Method)
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.fsck.k9.provider.AttachmentProvider.onCreate(AttachmentProvider.java:77)
at android.content.ContentProvider.attachInfo(ContentProvider.java:798)
at android.app.ActivityThread.installProvider(ActivityThread.java:4506)

snip!

Code:
I/ActivityManager(  129): Start proc com.fsck.k9 for activity com.fsck.k9/.activity.Accounts: pid=921 uid=10086 gids={3003, 1015}
D/dalvikvm(   99): GC_EXPLICIT freed 282 objects / 10672 bytes in 60ms
D/dalvikvm(   99): GC_EXPLICIT freed 47 objects / 2072 bytes in 95ms
I/ActivityThread(  921): Publishing provider com.fsck.k9.attachmentprovider: com.fsck.k9.provider.AttachmentProvider
D/AndroidRuntime(  921): Shutting down VM
W/dalvikvm(  921): threadid=1: thread exiting with uncaught exception (group=0x4001d7e8)
E/AndroidRuntime(  921): FATAL EXCEPTION: main
E/AndroidRuntime(  921): java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to get provider com.fsck.k9.provider.AttachmentProvider: java.lang.NullPointerException
E/AndroidRuntime(  921): at android.app.ActivityThread.installProvider(ActivityThread.java:4509)
E/AndroidRuntime(  921): at android.app.ActivityThread.installContentProviders(ActivityThread.java:4281)
E/AndroidRuntime(  921): at android.app.ActivityThread.handleBindApplication(ActivityThread.java:4237)
E/AndroidRuntime(  921): at android.app.ActivityThread.access$3000(ActivityThread.java:125)
E/AndroidRuntime(  921): at android.app.ActivityThread$H.handleMessage(ActivityThread.java:2071)
E/AndroidRuntime(  921): at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:99)
E/AndroidRuntime(  921): at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:123)
E/AndroidRuntime(  921): at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:4627)
E/AndroidRuntime(  921): at java.lang.reflect.Method.invokeNative(Native Method)
E/AndroidRuntime(  921): at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:521)
E/AndroidRuntime(  921): at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:870)
E/AndroidRuntime(  921): at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:628)
E/AndroidRuntime(  921): at dalvik.system.NativeStart.main(Native Method)
E/AndroidRuntime(  921): Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
E/AndroidRuntime(  921): at com.fsck.k9.provider.AttachmentProvider.onCreate(AttachmentProvider.java:77)
E/AndroidRuntime(  921): at android.content.ContentProvider.attachInfo(ContentProvider.java:798)
E/AndroidRuntime(  921): at android.app.ActivityThread.installProvider(ActivityThread.java:4506)
E/AndroidRuntime(  921): ... 12 more
D/dalvikvm(   99): GC_EXPLICIT freed 2 objects / 48 bytes in 40ms
W/ActivityManager(  129):   Force finishing activity com.fsck.k9/.activity.Accounts
D/AutoLcdLight(  129): SensorValue: 1280, Brightness: 94
D/PowerManagerService(  129): lightSensorChangedLocked 225
D/PowerManagerService(  129): lightSensorChangedLocked 1280
W/ActivityManager(  129): Activity pause timeout for HistoryRecord{460779e8 com.fsck.k9/.activity.Accounts}
I/ActivityManager(  129): No longer want com.cooliris.media (pid 653): hidden #16
D/PowerManagerService(  129): lightSensorChangedLocked 640
I/ActivityManager(  129): Starting activity: Intent { act=android.intent.action.APP_ERROR flg=0x10000000 cmp=com.google.android.feedback/.FeedbackActivity (has extras) }
I/global  (  129): Default buffer size used in BufferedReader constructor. It would be better to be explicit if an 8k-char buffer is required.
I/Process (  921): Sending signal. PID: 921 SIG: 9

Upvote 0
Reactions: j-garr
Upvote 0
Most likely your first mistake was using rom manager to install the rom.(rom manager is really only good for browsing and downloading roms) There is a post on the miui forums on how to properly install miui. It involves using another .zip file to properly wipe your phone.

[HOWTO] Guide to flash/upgrade MIUI while minimizing USER ERRORS -FC's, reboots, etc..

You were exactly right. The other zip file that properly wipes the phone is called Caulkin's Format All. It wipes /system and /boot. According to another thread on miui the current version of Caulkin's doesn't work on ClockworkMod 3.x.

In that thread marhay says,
No, its being worked on but in the meantime you can either:
a. flash to CWR 2.5.1.2 and run Caulkin's Format All
b. do Wipe Data and Cache, the go to advanced (or mounts, I can't remember) and wipe /system and /boot

I booted to Recovery and wiped /data, /cache, /system, and /boot. Then re-flashed miui 1.3.4 then 1.3.5 fixes and everything is working great now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones