• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM]AOSP ShiftTh3ory

I was planning on flashing the new CM if I had time this weekend. Don't think I'll have time for both so I guess I'm flipping a coin

I flashed CM7 yesterday. It is okay but I think I will be flashing this test build today, seemed like we went a week with no updates so I was getting flash withdrawls

sweet! ive gotta flash something soon before i start twitching :eek::D

imos .12 kernel has not made my phone happy at all. ive been getting less than stellar battery life,and it seems a lil slower... but that may be the placebo affect again,as i read somewhere in the thread that changing kernels breaks ramdisk mods. think i may not be changing kernels in DT roms anymore

I still like .8 better than .12 also. .12 seemed to work as well as .8 with speed and use but it was hurting my battery.

Scotty I don't feel like reading the entire XDA thread do you know if it was flashing any kernel or just kernels that haven't been tweaked by DT?

Upvote 0
Yeah .8 is my goto kernel, I have a feeling it will be that way for a while, IMO has tried to improve on it and hasn't been able to, and other devs have tried and failed.

Almost a related note, if I could dev a kernel I would use the name Popcorn

popcorn.jpg

Upvote 0
I am testing out CM for the first time. Shift seems a little better on the battery. It is also in active development. From what I hear CM7 is going to be where it is now for a while. Dunno personal preference, I am going to be coming back to DT soon I am sure, could be that I also just like smaller rom footprints which is also why I look forward to the next liquid release as well.

Both CM7 and this rom are done well so I can't really say you should choose to run Shift over CM7 hands down....now if we start talking about why you should choose one of these roms over a sense rom I can give better reasons ;) AOSP is the way to be:p

Upvote 0
Both CM7 and this rom are done well so I can't really say you should choose to run Shift over CM7 hands down....

just keep in mind cm7 is the original. cyanogen mod likes to tweek AOSP a certain way,and is nice enuff to make their code open source so other DEVs can do what DT does.

also dont forget we wouldnt have AOSP at all if it werent for all slayhers hard work getting RIL to work with cm7 code. without that,thered be no LTB,no th3ory. cant really say thered be no OM(F)GB cause xoom was working on his own RIL,but they did work together.

dont get me wrong i love DTs ui and tweeks,just sayin dont forget where we came from :)

Upvote 0
What are the reasons you guys like this ROM over cm7? I'm just wondering. I have cm7 and enjoy it. Finally have the phone the way I like it but contemplating switching to ShiftTh3ory.

What do you guys like about each?
ill admit its a big part the UI. i love the transparent/grey parts(mms,phone and dilaer,contacts,gmail,pulldown).

but even if i didnt have that,id prolly still be running it. its fast and smooth and slick as snot on my phone. :D

ive run most all DTs roms,and they all work really well for me.

while ive become a big droidth3ory fan,ill always be loyal to cyanogenmod,as they have done alot for the root community,and ive run a CM rom on every phone ive ever owned.

Upvote 0
Scotty you might want to be careful you are sounding like a fanboy now. I too have grown into DT roms, been on the new CM for a day now and I am planning on flashing back to a DT rom after work.

fanboy for who?

i am definately a CM fanboy,and im growing into a DT groupy :p i like what hes done with cm7. i am certainly a slayher fanboy as well,he does awsome work and without him thered be no cm7,or cm7 based roms :eek:

your heat cannot warm my frozen heart.

Upvote 0
Really, Yeahha? Really? :rolleyes:

Posting this here because I've asked it numerous other places and have gotten no help as of yet.

Are any of you familiar with the Flash fix for AOSP ROMs? You have to do THIS, but my issue is I did this and got the following message every time I tried to watch a video "Select an action No application can perform this action" I'm trying to do this with Dolphin, not the stock browser btw.

I then went back into that data/data file in Root Explorer an noticed that the app_plugins folder was missing.

I then uninstalled the market flash player and installed THIS modded one. I tried following the video, but the version of Dolphin in the video is older than the one I have so it was of no use. Using this new modded version I get "an error occured" when trying to watch a video.

I'm at my wits end trying to get flash working. I'm hoping I just need a fresh set of eyes looking at this.

Thanks in advance for the help

Upvote 0
i downloaded and installed that .apk,and the settings were not the same on miren browser.

i went to the unlockr.com,it does appear that flash is working. stuff on the main screen was scrolling across the bottom,and now im watching a video on universal z4root :eek:

going to hulu.com i still get the "cant access from your android device" message,but the huluplus app does work.

ill play with it some more and go to some other flash based sites and see what happens,maybe download dolphin,but its not really my favorite browser.

Upvote 0
edit: I did mention I was trying this on Dolphin. Scotty must have skipped some of my post. How dare you, sir ;)

yeah,i saw that. i just wanted to try get it working with miren casue thats what i use :D

its a lil slow to load and get started,but seems to be working fine.

like i said,illl maybe download dolphin later and see if i can get it to work with that too. right now im being summoned to go grocery shopping :mad::rolleyes:

Upvote 0
yeah,i saw that. i just wanted to try get it working with miren casue thats what i use :D

its a lil slow to load and get started,but seems to be working fine.

like i said,illl maybe download dolphin later and see if i can get it to work with that too. right now im being summoned to go grocery shopping :mad::rolleyes:

Are you still on 1.2 or did you flash 2.0?

Upvote 0
Why don't you just uninstall Dolphin and reinstall? Heck I'd even reinstall Flash. Then go to a site and try to launch the embedded flash video. Go back, fix permissions and you're good to go. Haha, I'm sure you tried that already but that's all I can think of other than wiping or formatting/system and reinstall.

Upvote 0
Yea, I've tried that numerous time. I'm not sure what the issue is. I'm at a loss. May just reflash the ROM and start over :mad:

edit: I just went to test my flash video, or something like that, pressed play and now it's working. I'm just going to smh at this and walk away. I have no explanations why it wasn't working and now is. It's extremely bizarre

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones