• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM] ApeX V1.0 for Droid X - An AOSP Experience (10/20/10)

I'm sure you could reinstall that. A cursory search of "blur text messaging .apk" just shows me that my Google-Fu is no match for Motorola's Wu-Tang style, but I'm sure it's out there somewhere if you ask. Then once you obtain said .apk, just install it to system via the instructions posted after the hotfix outlined in post #2, I do believe. Problem solved.

Upvote 0
For some reason when I applied the hot fix, my phone got stuck at the M on reboot. I polluted the battery and it booted fine though. Wifi tethering works now so I assume that it applied the patch just fine. (I did an "Apply rom from SD card" in ROM Manager, if that makes a difference.)

I really want to take the plunge, but I'm too attached to NexTheme to move away from Rubix for this yet. Once I can theme this with NexTheme, it's on like Donkey Kong. But what I'm wondering is...does it make more sense to install this now and theme it later, or to just wait until the theme is released before installing ApeX?

All you have to do is delete the gmail apk from the NexTheme zip file and you can apply the theme. I've had it running since the first version of this rom.

Reactions: thepolishguy
Upvote 0
Thanks, but that only disables the camera shutter sound and the video recording beep. It doesn't disable the loud beep-beep when you focus.

There was some information on this on XDA Developers. The beep-beep is not a sound file that can be deleted. It's actually generated by the system, and is ingrained into the camera app. Someone edited the camera app to disable it and uploaded it to XDA but I'm not sure what version it was.

Upvote 0
Tried this out yesterday and it is the first time I've ever had my text messages off by +5 hours... I haven't run in to this issue with any other ROM I've tried out. Anyone else experience this?

Yes, I have def. had this before on other roms.

If it is that big of a deal you can download a fix around here somewhere I think, or you can download an app from the market and set hours ahead/behind to your liking...

Upvote 0
Yes, I have def. had this before on other roms.

If it is that big of a deal you can download a fix around here somewhere I think, or you can download an app from the market and set hours ahead/behind to your liking...

Seems like a huge waste of time and effort, considering I've tried just about every other ROM that's out and have yet to run in to this problem. No biggie though thanks to nandroid.

Upvote 0
There was some information on this on XDA Developers. The beep-beep is not a sound file that can be deleted. It's actually generated by the system, and is ingrained into the camera app. Someone edited the camera app to disable it and uploaded it to XDA but I'm not sure what version it was.

I Googled and found this.
[Q] Change the Camera Click Sound? - xda-developers

kyouko said:
You can see it here on Github. Do a text search (ctrl+f) for "tonegenerator" and you'll see where it initiates - focusing.

Should be a relatively simple edit for those of us who know how to compile from git or smali edit. I'd do it if I had the time to, but unfortunately as of right now I have wayyy too much do deal with :/

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones