• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM] ApeX V1.4.1 for Droid X & Droid 2 - Refinement and Ease of Use (2/22/2011)

Is your phone attached to your computer in mass storage mode by any chance? The toolbox relies on the sdcard, so if that's mounted on your computer, your phone cannot access it.

I got it to work. I didn't realize I had to launch the toolboox first. :eek:

On another note -

Can you post the background image? I changed it to a live wallpaper but that background was so sweet I'd rather that and I can't seem to locate it on the phone now.

Upvote 0
I swear I tried that and it didn't work, lol. But it was late at night and I may have been delirious ;)

So all you did was move it from /system/media to /data/local?

Well no, I guess I should have been more clear. You have to use a modified bootanimation file in /system/bin like the one in the thunderbolt file posted a while ago by p3droid.

I didn't try leaving the bootanimation in media and just applying the modified bootanimation file in /system/bin, it may work like this, or the modded bootanimation file may not be needed.

But I made an update zip for myself that should make it work.

Here it is (to be clear for everyone, if you do end up trying it, apply through bootstrap, don't rename to bootanimation.zip):

ApeX_1.4.0_Boot_Animation.zip

Fab, if you want me to remove the link, let me know, and I will.

Upvote 0
What was changed between RC2 and the final release?

Did some more adjustments to the startup script to hopefully keep it from causing those system FC's, and updated the toolbox and toolbox updating script. But if you're not having issues, it's nothing major.

------

Those of you looking for the bootup mp3, you can get it back by using the toolbox to remove the bootanimation, then readding it.

------

EDIT: thanks for that file bouchigo, I'll take a closer look when I get off work tonight. If I can get it working, I'll incorporate it into the next toolbox update.

Upvote 0
Just can't stay away from ApeX. QuickClock overclocker seems to like it as well :)

Anyone try to install and use the Blur weather widget?

It does not update the weather for me. I've checked Current location as well as added a couple of cities and all the widget tells me is "Get weather updates, Add a city" and I never see weather info.

edit: nvm...lol, just wasn't happening as fast as I wanted it to. working just fine now, move along, nothing to see here.

Upvote 0
Well no, I guess I should have been more clear. You have to use a modified bootanimation file in /system/bin like the one in the thunderbolt file posted a while ago by p3droid.

I didn't try leaving the bootanimation in media and just applying the modified bootanimation file in /system/bin.

But I made an update zip for myself that should make it work.

Here it is (to be clear for everyone, if you do end up trying it, apply through bootstrap, don't rename to bootanimation.zip):

ApeX_1.4.0_Boot_Animation.zip

Fab, if you want me to remove the link, let me know, and I will.

Hey guys, I removed the bootanimation and then readded through the toolbox but there still isn't an animation.

All i did was download the ApeX 1.4.0 Boot Animation.zip, went threw bootstapper, unziped the file and rebooted the phone and the sound and animation worked. By the way im going to have fun booting my phone up now in public! Thanks!

p.s. i also went into phone files and deleted the Liberty file just in case it was something in that file thats making the sound stop? just a heads up.

Reactions: funkbucket007
Upvote 0
Tell me about it. I just did it in my office and everyone looked at me like wtf? lol

At least you guys didn't go through what VoidedSaint went through. I made a zip of a bootanimation for him with the "Captain Planet" theme song, and while he was in a meeting with his boss, his phone rebooted, and guess what? Yup, you guessed it the "Captain Planet" theme song started playing and everyone diverted their attention to him and his phone....lol

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones