• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM][Beta][FINAL] CM7 Android For Triumph [Tickerguy Edition, Kernel: mine] 11/19

I'm using Isaac's build still and with the adb driver installed on vista using easy tether. USB tethering works fine... I'm going to switch over to your build in a few because the oc kernel is up and working. Ill report after about the USB tethering on yours.

just tested easy tether on this build and it works fine for me, but i will say that i did set my MTU settings manually in vista a while back when wifi tethering was being implemented, but also what i have read is that on vista a reboot puts the MTU back to it's max and i have rebooted several times since then and have still been able to gain access to the internet through wireless tether and now usb tether, but maybe my MTU's actually "stuck" when i initally did it. idk but i do know that everything on my phone is working awesomely!!!! thank you Ticker and Isaac for an amazing build of CM7 so far!!!!!

Reactions: hurricane3
Upvote 0
Check your options eb - the only time I've seen that is on a cold boot when plugged, and it's a one-time deal (on boot it gets out of sync and will do this if on charge.) I've never had it happen with the phone off-charge in normal use, or once the phone has come up and is running.

If you've customized things in the CM7 settings its possible that's the cause, or if you're using something like Tasker. If all else fails clear /data and /cache (cold boot) and then clear /system and reload.

Sam: I'm aware that HDMI cables are available on eBAY and Amazon and they're not terribly expensive. I guess you didn't understand what I said - I have no use for this option personally, and thus working on this would require me to spend money (even if just a bit) on something that has zero value to me. I'm frankly astonished that you would think that I'm going to not only spend lots of time and give away what I work on (which I'm doing now) but also spend money on something that has zero marginal value to me.

Some of you folks ought to think before you speak. This is getting to be rather "not fun any more" considering that this is the third or fourth time something like that has happened in the last couple weeks. I do have a tolerance limit for that sort of thing and you might want to consider that rather carefully.

Ok so would enabling asset purging or bumping the VM size cause this??

Upvote 0
Okay, this thread is getting quite disorganized. This is my proposition (and TG is on board):

I have created a repository on Github solely for tracking bugs found in the CM7-Triumph project.

These are the requirements for reporting issues:

1) You will need to create a Github account.
2) When reporting an issue, the title must be clear and concise. Issues created with titles such as "HELP!!" or "THIS IS BROKEN!!" will be ignored, deleted and you'll be blocked.
3) Read through the other issues first. Don't create an a new issue if a similar bug report already exists. We've already went through so much trouble for you. The least you can do is go through a little trouble for us.
4) If you're sure your problem is not a duplicate, make sure you provide a decent log/error output from the crash. Provide detailed information on what you were doing up to the crash and provide instructions on reproducing the problem. No output, no fix.

The link is here (it'll go live soon): https://github.com/ikarosdev/CM7_Triumph_bug_tracker

EDIT: The repo is live.

Upvote 0
Okay, this thread is getting quite disorganized. This is my proposition (and TG is on board):

I have created a repository on Github solely for tracking bugs found in the CM7-Triumph project.

These are the requirements for reporting issues:

1) You will need to create a Github account.
2) When reporting an issue, the title must be clear and concise. Issues created with titles such as "HELP!!" or "THIS IS BROKEN!!" will be ignored, deleted and you'll be blocked.
3) Read through the other issues first. Don't create an a new issue if a similar bug report already exists. We've already went through so much trouble for you. The least you can do is go through a little trouble for us.
4) If you're sure your problem is not a duplicate, make sure you provide a decent log/error output from the crash. Provide detailed information on what you were doing up to the crash and provide instructions on reproducing the problem. No output, no fix.

The link is here (it'll go live soon): https://github.com/ikarosdev/CM7_Triumph_bug_tracker

EDIT: The repo is live.

So, we just go into the "issues" tab and make a new issue?

Upvote 0
Yeah, that's correct.

Isaac, you should do Icarus mod for the triumph ;) jk bro. as far as I'm concerned both you and tg have done WAY too much already and I for one don't expect you to just keep giving away your free time for this cause. its just that i had Icarus on my ascend and loved it. it was my daily for about 2 mos straight. keep on keepin on man.

Upvote 0
I have a present coming for 'yall....

How about this....

1. A kernel and tethering environment that knows how to clamp the MSS, so that there's no more screwing around with the MTU in your client machine? Yes, really. Why the CM7 folks didn't do this is really beyond me. It does require kernel support but asking for it hurts nothing if that support is not there - it just does nothing.

2. Oh, by the way, while I was at it I fixed tethering. Well, sorta. It doesn't work for me on USB although it's turned on in the code right now (this may be a driver issue on my PC as it also doesn't throw any errors that tell me why it is failing - it looks like the PC is refusing the RNDIS connection to me), but it does work on bluetooth. Just tell it to connect using the network (on Windows 7 it says "Connect using... and then Access point") and you're hot. The little blue "Tethering" icon will appear on the phone automatically and in a second or two the connection will validate. Note that this is not a "dial-up networking" connection such as PDANet and similar use - it is a true tether with all that implies. As this is an operating system tether and not an application it will not go to sleep when the phone does either. Oh yeah, and bluetooth is a lot more power-friendly than Wifi is.

3. This should also work for Wifi Tether, which should see it and should be able to use it. There are commits in the source tree for Android-wifi-tether (available from the usual places) that strongly imply it knows about this. Note, however, that it appears there are some interference issues between the Wifi radio and 3g data, so if you have both that and Bluetooth I'd still prefer the Bluetooth.

I'm going to attempt to package this up with the ext4 filesystem change as well, so it may be some time tomorrow before it gets uploaded, but as they say, it's coming.

HDMI may also work for video - as I noted before, there's no way for me to test it. If it works please note it does but if not don't be surprised since all I've managed to actually do is get the daemon to come up.

Incidentally Quadrant on that with no overclocking but ext4 enabled is right near 2400 (!)

Upvote 0
I have a present coming for 'yall....

How about this....

1. A kernel and tethering environment that knows how to clamp the MSS, so that there's no more screwing around with the MTU in your client machine? Yes, really. Why the CM7 folks didn't do this is really beyond me. It does require kernel support but asking for it hurts nothing if that support is not there - it just does nothing.

2. Oh, by the way, while I was at it I fixed tethering. Well, sorta. It doesn't work for me on USB although it's turned on in the code right now (this may be a driver issue on my PC as it also doesn't throw any errors that tell me why it is failing - it looks like the PC is refusing the RNDIS connection to me), but it does work on bluetooth. Just tell it to connect using the network (on Windows 7 it says "Connect using... and then Access point") and you're hot. The little blue "Tethering" icon will appear on the phone automatically and in a second or two the connection will validate. Note that this is not a "dial-up networking" connection such as PDANet and similar use - it is a true tether with all that implies. As this is an operating system tether and not an application it will not go to sleep when the phone does either. Oh yeah, and bluetooth is a lot more power-friendly than Wifi is.

3. This should also work for Wifi Tether, which should see it and should be able to use it. There are commits in the source tree for Android-wifi-tether (available from the usual places) that strongly imply it knows about this. Note, however, that it appears there are some interference issues between the Wifi radio and 3g data, so if you have both that and Bluetooth I'd still prefer the Bluetooth.

I'm going to attempt to package this up with the ext4 filesystem change as well, so it may be some time tomorrow before it gets uploaded, but as they say, it's coming.

HDMI may also work for video - as I noted before, there's no way for me to test it. If it works please note it does but if not don't be surprised since all I've managed to actually do is get the daemon to come up.

You are a genius! WiFi tether has always worked, well, when I enabled MSS clamping. (Something that your kernel supports. :) )

I might go pick up a mini HMDI cable to test that out for ya... just because I'm wondering how it works anyway. (Like does it do screen mirroring?)

Thank you... for all that you have done (And will do) for us. I can't tell you how much I appreciate this. Just keep those updates a commin'!

Upvote 0

Great to hear!

Question regarding the ext4 filesystem change. If you're formatting the filesystem to ext4, will this stop/make it more difficult to go back and forth with a stock rom/backup?

Or does cwm automatically reformat back to ext3 when you do a restore on a backup?

I'm new to using ext4 and how it affects android so just wondering. Thanks.

I might go pick up a mini HMDI cable to test that out for ya... just because I'm wondering how it works anyway. (Like does it do screen mirroring?)

Yes, using the hdmi out just mirrors everything on the screen out to the tv or whatever device is connected as well as sending out audio if there is any.

Upvote 0
Installing the new ROM now...

Will update on HDMI status (I have the cables and stuff :D )

EDIT: I can confirm that in order to flash this rom you NEED to update CMW

EDIT 2: *****HDMI UPDATE*****

HDMI does NOT work!

Nothing shows up on the phone, but the TV seems to be recieving data and it just gives up after 10 seconds.

The HDMI menu doesn't show up like it did in Froyo.

Upvote 0
Status as of right now:

3. I'm working on an automatic detection of the data drop problem, which will allow me to patch the code to automatically detect and deal with it. That's not a fix, it's a kludge workaround, but it will at least restore connectivity when it drops. It appears that turning off data (NOT going into airplane mode and out) is all that is necessary to restore connectivity. If you're having this problem and can reproduce it (I cannot reproduce it on demand, although it happens once in a while) when it occurs please go into the settings menu and turn off data, then turn it back on and see if the problem clears. I am very interested in reports of whether that fixes it or not for others - it does for me - because there's a big difference between cycling the entire radio and cycling just the data side in terms of power consumption and disruption to whatever else you're doing. Detecting the state of the unit when it happens will require that I do quite a bit of digging as there is (once again) zero documentation as to where the state of things (e.g. whether a call is in process, where the entry points are to turn on and off the data connection is, whether data is actually active as Wifi is off, etc) are stored and can be easily queried and accessed.

Noticed this today as well, and seeing as no one else posted it: shutting off 3G and turning it back on fixes the data drop for me as well.

Gonna install that update in a few minutes. Again, thanks for all of the work you've been putting into this, man.

In regards to the WiFi thing: I only had the screen "lock up" on me once, and that was after being put to sleep for quite a while. I had WiFi enabled for the past five hours or so and the only time I had to do a battery pull was after I left the phone untouched for about a half an hour. I'm not sure if the time has anything to do with this or if maybe it just happens at random. As mentioned before in the thread, the touch screen still seems to work--if I slide to the right the screen vibrates as though the phone unlocked, as well as the soft keys lighting up--but the screen will remain blank.

This issue doesn't really bother me in the slightest, though--considering everything the mod does, I'm more than willing to put up with having to shut WiFi off and on whenever I need it/am done using it. Hell, the only time I really use WiFi is when I'm downloading apps, in which case I can just plug the phone it and set it to stay awake.

This post got a lot longer than I intended to be...sorry bout that. :eek:

Upvote 0
Installing the new ROM now...

Will update on HDMI status (I have the cables and stuff :D )

EDIT: I can confirm that in order to flash this rom you NEED to update CMW

EDIT 2: *****HDMI UPDATE*****

HDMI does NOT work!

Nothing shows up on the phone, but the TV seems to be recieving data and it just gives up after 10 seconds.

The HDMI menu doesn't show up like it did in Froyo.
tried hdmi on phone, no video or audio keep getting blank screen on tv.:(
hope this info helps. and i know you need the hdmi cable to get it working correctly. i wish i could help maybe this thursday i can send a shipment out to you, tickerguy.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones