• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM] Bionix 1.X flashible with OCed kernel option

mavictb

Aug 4, 2010
Reno, NV
Here it is, Finally! Thank you everyone for being patient with me and most of all, supporting my rom! The XDA community has been great and I appreciate all of you. As usual, please report any bugs and post any suggestions. I'll be more than happy to take anything into consideration for future releases. Also, PLEASE, if you have a question, post it in this thread. My message box is flooded as it is because I'm also the Vibrant moderator and it gets overwhelming. As much as I'd like to personally help everyone who has a question, I simply don't have the time. Plus, posting question here and getting an answer will help other members with any problems they may have. Thanks again!

HEY YOU! YEAH YOU! READ ALL OF THIS VERY CAREFULLY OR YOU WILL BE SAD!
Installation Instructions:
1. If you are already running the Voodoo lag fix you MUST disable it before flashing this ROM. If you are running the old lag fix that uses ext2, you do not have to disable it, just flash this rom on top.
2. Place bionix1.3 of your choice onto the root of your sdcard.
3. Make a nandroid back up via rom manager or clockwork recovery!
4. You can flash this rom directly through rom manager or manually flash it via clockwork recovery. You DO NOT need to wipe, the update-script does this for you automatically.
5. Once flashed, reboot phone. First boot will be slower than usual, give it time.
6. Once your phone is fully booted...power down completely and reboot one time. BUT...make sure you don't already have the 'disable-lagfix' on your sdcard or it will disable the Voodoo lag fix.
wink.gif

7. FINISHED!
8. Install setcpu in order to OC to 1.2Ghz.

How-to Disable the Voodoo Lagfix:
1. Once again, you MUST disable the Voodoo lag fix in order to flash any other rom, kernel, or perform a nandroid backup. If you don't...well....lets just say I warned you.
2. Its simple. Create a folder on the root of your sdcard called 'Voodoo'.
3. Now, open notepad or something similar and save the blank file. Name it 'disable-lagfix'. This file cannot have any file extension, so remove it if it does.
4. Place your blank file into the 'Voodoo' folder you made on your sdcard.
5. In order to disable, simply power down your phone and power it back up.
6. FINISHED! You can now flash anything you'd like!

How-to Confirm Voodoo Lagfix is Disabled:
1. In adb shell or terminal type 'mount'
2. If it is disabled is should read '/dev/block/mmcblk0p2'.
3. If it is not disabled, it will read '/dev/block/mmcblk0p4'.

Did You Flash Something Before Disabling Voodoo? Then This Fix is For You.
So you forgot to disable the voodoo lagfix before you flashed a new rom and now you're getting an error, similar to the one posted below. Even Odin won't allow you to flash back to stock. Well, pay close attention and with some luck, you'll be good as rain...or something like that.

E: Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
(File exists)
Error mounting /data/!
Skipping format...
Copying files...
E: Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
(File exists)
E: Can't mount DATA:
E: Failure at line 372:
copy_dir PACKAGE:data DATA:
Installation aborted.

1. Download Eugenes 'Froyo that does not brick' file.
2. Extract the files.
3. Open Odin, plug in your phone, then put it into download mode.
4. load the PIT file in appropriate area.
5. load the .tar file in the PDA area.
6. DO NOT check 're-partition'.
7. Click start, let it finish. Your phone will load and reboot into stock recovery. It will error out again. DONT panic! This is what's supposed to happen.
8. Now, pull your battery.
9. Download the 'True stock 2.1 firmware for the vibrant'.
10. Extract the files.
11. Once again, open Odin, plug in your phone, put into download mode.
12. Load the PIT file into the appropriate area and the .tar in the PDA area.
13. THIS TIME you want to check the 're-partition' box.
14. Now click start, let it finish, and this time your phone will load up just fine! BAM!

Bionix1.3
- Lossless png optimization on all apk files for faster load time
- Zipalign'd all apk files to reduce amount of RAM consumed by system
- build.prop mods
- update-script changes (flash speed improved slightly and wipe is now more efficient for fewer errors)
- framework-res.apk mods
- twframework-res.apk mods
- improved battery life! (hopefully, please let me know)
- Installed fixed LbsTestMode.apk to play better with JI2 GPS fix (Thanks Eugene!)
- Ported a new assests folder into swype and it looks AWESOME! (Thanks to hoey2011)
- Installed Samsung feed and update widget
- Removed mediahub.apk
- Replaced HD YouTube.apk with stock for sharing options
- Updated Market
- Updated Maps
- about a million other things I can't even seem to think of because my brain is goo right now

Download: Bionix1.3 w/stock vibrant kernel
Download: Bionix1.3 w/voodoo lagfix and OC kernel
Download: Bionix1.3 w/Kingklicks OC,UV kernel
Download: touchwiz stock look (If you don't like the black themed goodness, here is a flashable.zip file. This WILL NOT wipe anything, you WILL NOT lose any data or apps. With that being said, make sure you don't select wipe system/data in rom manager. Simply flash through rom manager or clockwork recovery and PRESTO...back to stock look but with all the goodness of Bionix!)
Download: samsung apps (just flash on top, it won't wipe anything)
- AudioPostcard
- GoGo
- KindleStub
- Layer
- MediaHub
- Memo
- MiniDiary
- SlackerRadio
- All remaining samsung widgets

Download: Green circle & segmented battery status (Credit: Thanks zimphishmonger for these great battery status icons! This download is compatible with Bioinix1.3 only.)
Download: Blue circle battery status icons (Credit: Thanks again to zimphishmonger for these battery status icons! This download is only compatible with Bionix1.3 only.

Bionix1.2
- Update-script changes
- Removed vibrant camera software, replaced with captivate camera software
- Removed iphone looking square icons in launcher
- Removed facinate LWP
- Fixed lag issues caused by GPS from JI2 leak (GPS works great now!)
- New swype.apk w/voice button (apk didn't update last release)
- New market.apk (apk didn't update last release)

Download: Bionix1.2
Download: Bionix1.2 w/1.2Ghz OCv4 Kernel

Bionix1.1
- Added GPS fix from JI2 leak (WORKS GREAT!!!)
- Removed swype-tips

Download: Bionix1.1
Download: Bionix1.1 w/1.2Ghz OCv4 Kernel

Bionix1
- Rooted
- Busybox w/working symlinks
- No need to wipe
- Data wiped automatically via update
- System wiped automatically via update
- Cache wipe automatically via update

- Stock Kernal
- Support for Jac's Kernel
- Includes modified Playlogos1 & Userinit.sh to support lag fix (not installed. see below for lag fix instructions)
- GPS fix added pulling from system/etc/gps.cfg (should pick up sats quickly)
- Build.prop mods for better data throughput
- Framework-res.apk mods
- Twframework-res.apk mods
- Touchwiz30launcher.apk mods
- All apps de-odexed
- Adb push/pull functioning properly
- Samsung bloatware removed
- Added mobile AP to settings>wireless and networks (wireless tether)
- ADB on by default
- EVO status bar icons added
- Removed T-Mobile bootanimation completely, improved boot time
- Custom shutdown animation
- New bootup and shutdown sounds
- Touchwiz battery status with accurate percentage read
- Kept Vibrant camera software
- New swype.apk w/voice feature
- New HD youtube.apk
- New LWP ported from the Facinate
- Rom manager pre-installed
- Genuie widget pre-installed
- IM app included
- Updated Maps
- Updated Market

Download: Bionix1
Download: Bionix1 w/1.2Ghz OCv4 Kernel

DO NOT USE THIS LAG FIX IF YOU ARE USING THE VOODOO LAG FIX! ONLY THIS LAG FIX OR THE VOODOO LAG FIX ARE COMPATIBLE WITH THIS ROM!

How-to Install Lag Fix

adb shell
su
mv /system/bin/userinit.sh /system/bin/used
reboot

After reboot...do this....

adb shell
su
busybox dd if=/dev/zero of=/data/dataimg bs=1024 count=1048576 (this transfer takes roughly 3 minutes, be patient!)
busybox mknod /dev/loop0 b 7 0
busybox losetup /dev/loop0 /data/dataimg
busybox mkfs.ext2 /dev/loop0
mkdir /data/data1
mv /system/bin/used /system/bin/userinit.sh
reboot

*DISCLAIMER*
Unfortunately, not all Vibrants can handle the OC kernel due to current voltage limitations. If you experience random freezes with this kernel, you probably fall into that category. Flash the Bionix rom without the OC kernel and you will be good to go! If you are able to run this kernel at 1.2Ghz but are still experiencing instabilities, I suggest flashing the standard bionix1.1 which includes the stock kernel. I have simply provided this secondary rom option for you guys to avoid flashing multiple times to get the OC kernel. Just know, that it can potentially come with instabilities.
*DISCLAIMER*

Credits
- Cyanogen - no explanation required
- Wesgarner - initial Vibrant dump
- Eugene373 - for an excellent base to work with
- Justanothercrowd - excellent work with the kernel
- Kingklick - another excellent kernel
- anomalous3 - de-odexed release
- designgears - We work in the same office and toss ideas back and fourth. Definitely helpful.
To anyone else I'm forgetting I apologize

I will add that I am running the 1.2 w 1.2Ghz option and it works great... I haven't gone through the steps yet to do the required lag fix for this rom but even without it it runs very fast with no lag at all... I haven't test gps yet but I will tomorrow and I will post results....
as for the look the evo status bar is kinda cool. the battery indicator with a percentage is nice.
over all a nice flashible rom.

Upvote 0
so like I said I would make another post after testing and here is the results.

GPS: I had the old gps fix and it was working okay but it still took anywhere from 30sec - 2min to lock on any sat. Today I used foursquare ( a gps app to check into places ) and it took about 15-20 sec. or less everytime to lock on my position. this app does not keep the GPS on it locks on only when you have the app open and I closed it for every stop I made..... I thought this would be more of a real world test rather than just using google maps.

Other stuff: this is a pretty basic rom but it had some kick ass features.... for example the youtube app is much nicer with a HQ button on screen rather than having to go through setting to get a video that is watchable. like I said before the status bar including the battery icon are much nicer than stock and not having to root is also nice as the rom is very much like a update.zip all you do is recover from the zip that you chose and thats it, it roots and installs the rom for you... super easy. things im not crazy about are the notifacation bar pull down... it looks kinda cool but it leaves a space where you see the background but im just nitpicking at that point.
again this is the best rom I have tried even without having the lag fix its silnky smooth with no bugs that I have seen.
if you want those uber high quadrant scores doing the lag fix is a little of a chore on this rom as you have to do it in ADB shell with some command line entrys but IMO it isnt even needed.

Upvote 0
also I do have to say I tried the OCd 1.2Ghz ROM and I have to say its soooo easy this way... it over clocks it for you without having to flash 10 times. 1 flash and your done. and I did check in setcpu and it is running at 600-1200mhz.
it had no problems with cutting out or anything like that on my vibrant. due to the above statement of some phones clip due to voltage restrictions i thought I would mention that it worked fine on my phone.

Upvote 0
Bovine I saw your signature... tell me what you think of 1.3 with the new 1.2ghz kernel... im thinking I may re flash to 1.3 but I may wait for 1.4 which sombionix is working on right now.

I tried the stock Bionix, which was fine, the stock w/voodoo, which simply didn't work, and now I'm on stock w/KingKlick's. I'm having a few issues with it...battery life is down and I've had a few no-wakeups which required battery pulls. When 1.4 comes out I'll try the stock Bionix and see how that goes. sombionix did say he hopes to have 1.4 out by the weekend.

Upvote 0
Just installed the Bio with Voodoo and it is sick! Very fast. Runing the set cpu at 1200 and its silky smooth. Changed the launcher and I am happy as hell! Good work.

If the battery life is good, this might stay on or awhile

I'm waiting for Beta5 of Voodoo so I can try it again. I guess a lot of people are having trouble with it, something to do with a different size NAND chip in some Vibrants.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones