• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root *[ROM] CaptiMod V0.1* More to Come!!!

ronaldramsayii

Android Enthusiast
Mar 31, 2010
Atlanta
CaptiMod V0.1

Features
~Deodexed and Zipaligned Thanks to Rajendra82 at XDA-Devs
~Root
~Superuser 2.3.6.1
~Busybox
~Enabled Sideloading Thanks to Peter Alfonso
~GPS Issues Improved

~Removed AT&T & Samsung's Bloatware
~Removed Maps (Get Latest From Market)
~Added A Few Ringtones/Notifications
~Added Stock Music App
~Added ROM Manager
~Added Terminal Android

Coming Soon

This ROM is built from the new JH7 for the Captivate.

It is an update.zip format, so you'll need ROM Manager or Clockworkmod Recovery to install this.

Side-loading Instructions:

1. Open a terminal (use the one pre-installed)
2. Type in: su
3. Type in: sideloading
4. Your phone will reboot and sideloading will be enabled!

Upcoming:
~LauncherPro
~Vanilla Android
~Themes!!! Any Ideas?
~More Features.....

I took down the ROM again guys. I'm going to do a bit more testing before I release it back into the community. I hope you guys understand. I'm more skilled in theming, instead of building ROMs, so bare with me. Thanks!

Anything not working with this new ROM?

I know the GPS i still a bit iffy.....everything else is working fine. GPS is the focus. I've heard from other devs that the framework is knocking heads with GPS, which causes it to mess up. We'll see about a solution some time soon.

This is why I hate UI's over Android, it complicates stuff way to much. Vanilla Android is much easier.....much easier

Upvote 0
Well just tried to install this with rom manager and did a nadroid backup first then wipe data and cache didn't rename to update.zip which could be the issue but got a syntax error in update script when trying to install it with rom manager. Will try and rename it and see what it will do once renamed

Renamed to update.zip and got an error. Nor will it run in normal recovery reinstall packages. So you need to look into the issue and fix it so people can test it.

Upvote 0
I don't see why phone manufacturers won't just release everything with vanilla android and then give people the option of downloading their UI specific stuff. That way, if they actually create a spanky UI, people will use it. For example, I know I would download the puzzle missed texts/calls from touchwiz.

Upvote 0
Well just tried to install this with rom manager and did a nadroid backup first then wipe data and cache didn't rename to update.zip which could be the issue but got a syntax error in update script when trying to install it with rom manager. Will try and rename it and see what it will do once renamed

Renamed to update.zip and got an error. Nor will it run in normal recovery reinstall packages. So you need to look into the issue and fix it so people can test it.

Ok i know what it is....I'm fixing it now and upload it again.

Upvote 0

Fixed it.....check it out!!:)

Upvote 0
I don't see why phone manufacturers won't just release everything with vanilla android and then give people the option of downloading their UI specific stuff. That way, if they actually create a spanky UI, people will use it. For example, I know I would download the puzzle missed texts/calls from touchwiz.

Yep. I couldn't agree more. Once I get the Vanilla Android going, I'm definitely going to try and keep the puzzle lockscreen, or at least allow it to be an option. A lot of work to do within the framework, since it's a part of TouchWiz, I just hope it's possible....

Upvote 0
Well Rom manger won't run privalged commands thus I can restore a back to get out of your rom. I need to see about rebooting into recovery and see if I can't get out of this.

You have a lot of work to do on it. Bunch of stuff broken super user won't update and the privalge stuff.

Superuser may not update if you're downloading it from the market....you'll have to manually update it. I don't know why, but some apps do that for some reason. But yes I know, there's a lot to be done.....

Upvote 0
No I ran superuser and told me to update and then it tried to update and failed. So with that said. You need to fix a bunch of things. Rom manager doesn't work period. Can't install clockwork on nothing all privilage errors.

So have restored to stock going back to my nadroid backup of jh3 and sre 1.3.1b and will leave your rom alone till its way more mature.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones