• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM]--CHARITY--Smoked Glass Themed ROM FRG22D v8.0 BUILT FROM SOURCE! HOT ! !

Poll closed due to new release for this ROM

• 5 Star ROM Rating: Elite

Votes: 19 79.2%
  • 4 Star ROM Rating: Outstanding

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • 3 Star ROM Rating: Average

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • 2 Star ROM Rating: Not Ready for Primetime

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 Star ROM Rating: Not Usable

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
i'm having an issue with just my home screen loading.. after i've been typing a text message or backing out of a app, the home screen takes a few seconds to load. always comes back, just takes a while. I'm pretty happy with the rom so far, this seems to be my only gripe right now.

I used to have this problem with CyanogenMod allllllll the time. Havent experienced it yet with this ROM. When you installed it, did you do a wipe of the cache and data? I had some glitches the first time I installed it so I redid it doing a wipe and it works like a dream now.

Upvote 0
i'm having an issue with just my home screen loading.. after i've been typing a text message or backing out of a app, the home screen takes a few seconds to load. always comes back, just takes a while. I'm pretty happy with the rom so far, this seems to be my only gripe right now.

You shouldn't have that issue with my ROM - I made a tweak to address this very fact. Try wiping data/cache & davlik cache and reinstall.

If you are still having hte probem let me know. are you using stock launcher or launcher pro?

Upvote 0
Yet another update...

Had flashed BBv0.5 when it came out, and while I was pleased to have a BB ROM back on my phone, there were little things here and there that made the overall experience not as pleasant. Thankfully, I had made a backup of this bad-ass ROM before flashing BBv0.5 and just flashed back to it this morning. The speed just is unmatched - even with the smart OC features Pete built into BB, I would get redraws and lag between apps. It got to the point where I felt that I just couldn't do it anymore.

So I'm back on this awesome ROM until something comes along that is really earth shattering.. =P

Upvote 0
i was actually thinking about something i have yet to see with a rom today, that might be pretty cool. not being a developer myself, i dont even know if it would be possible, but.... so i love the lockscreen music controls, and was wondering if it would be possible to put a song name display, or almost a small musicmod widget type thing on the lockscreen. even just artist/songname type display would be awesome.

and i've found on my droid, that the rom is at its best performance vs battery consumption level with a chevyno1 uLv 1.2ghz kernel. this is one of the first roms where i've been able to run this kernel with absolutely no issues. pretty shweet. thanks for the awesome work!

There is an app that will do that. It's called Mix Zing, which is basically a music replacement app. It's a free app, but for that feature there's a Pro version which costs. You can try it out, though, on a trial basis through the free app, which is how I found out about it.

So it's def possible to make happen, and to see it incorporated into a ROM would be awesome. I still prefer being able to long press the volume rocker, but having it on the lockscreen is the next best thing. Actually, having both would be perfect, cause sometimes I have no idea what I'm listening to. I have tons of music on my phone that I have no idea how it got there.

Upvote 0
Initial impressions are very good. Set up with stock kernel is smooth and fast. Switched to Slayher 1000lv and even better yet. Nice and clean. Battery percentage would be nice but I can live with an app. Love the rotary lock screen. Boots up nice and fast.
As fast or faster than UD8 to me. There is just something nice and clean about this rom that I like a lot.

Will give it a run through the weekend, try the wifi, teather, etc. Thanks for your efforts!

Edit:
I looked at my internal storage and it was down to 109 from about 170 with UD8. Not unusual since that was about what my storage was with the old FRG22 I was running before UD8. Any ideas why the storage would be so much different?
Rich

Upvote 0
Initial impressions are very good. Set up with stock kernel is smooth and fast. Switched to Slayher 1000lv and even better yet. Nice and clean. Battery percentage would be nice but I can live with an app. Love the rotary lock screen. Boots up nice and fast.
As fast or faster than UD8 to me. There is just something nice and clean about this rom that I like a lot.

Will give it a run through the weekend, try the wifi, teather, etc. Thanks for your efforts!

Edit:
I looked at my internal storage and it was down to 109 from about 170 with UD8. Not unusual since that was about what my storage was with the old FRG22 I was running before UD8. Any ideas why the storage would be so much different?
Rich

Browser cache?

Upvote 0
Cleared it and it got me another 10 but not near UD8. Your rom is no different than the FRG22, bb4 or any other I have tried other than UD8. I was really suprised that I had so much left with that rom. The only thing I can think of is that some apps or system operations must be put automatically on the SD card that are not on other roms. I really don't know. Anyway, still got lots left and the phone smokes along.

PS why is the Poll closed?

Upvote 0
still has the delay with the home screen loading. I wiped cache, formated everything i could. Seems that the first day it wasn't bad. second day got worse. today i had a 4 second delay waiting for the screen to load. i doubt it will get worse that this as this is where it was my first try with this ROM, i like the rom, i have less problems with it than any other rom i have used, this is a killer though

Upvote 0
still has the delay with the home screen loading. I wiped cache, formated everything i could. Seems that the first day it wasn't bad. second day got worse. today i had a 4 second delay waiting for the screen to load. i doubt it will get worse that this as this is where it was my first try with this ROM, i like the rom, i have less problems with it than any other rom i have used, this is a killer though

Edit build.prop

There's a line that says davlik heap value

Should be set to 32. Change it to 48

Pm me if you need more detailed instructions.

I'm not sure why you are experiencing this. Are you using stock launcher or adw / launcher pro?

Upvote 0
First bug for me. Either it just started or I did not notice it in the office but the Auto setting on the dimmer leaves the screen too dark. I thought it was working before so it may be an intermittent thing. I rebooted but have not tried wiping and reinstalling. This is using the power bar. A glitch in the min brightness hack?

Upvote 0
First bug for me. Either it just started or I did not notice it in the office but the Auto setting on the dimmer leaves the screen too dark. I thought it was working before so it may be an intermittent thing. I rebooted but have not tried wiping and reinstalling. This is using the power bar. A glitch in the min brightness hack?

I set the minimum brightness lower, does it function the same for you as it did in 7.0?

To test if it's working or not, when the brightness is low, shine a flashlight on the top right corner of the front of the phone. see if it adjusts

Upvote 0
Edit build.prop

There's a line that says davlik heap value

Should be set to 32. Change it to 48

Pm me if you need more detailed instructions.

I'm not sure why you are experiencing this. Are you using stock launcher or adw / launcher pro?

using the stock launcher, i didn't load anything else this time because i wanted to keep it in stock form so it's easier to trace the problem. I will say so far it definatly seems to be working much better since i restarted the phone. If it starts to slow down again i will let you know.

Upvote 0
using the stock launcher, i didn't load anything else this time because i wanted to keep it in stock form so it's easier to trace the problem. I will say so far it definatly seems to be working much better since i restarted the phone. If it starts to slow down again i will let you know.

Use Launcher Pro!

I don't want to sound like a salesman, but....

It performs 10x better than stock. You can keep the stock look and feel if you so desire. You can customize it. You can choose the amount of screens. You can have 2d/3d launcher. You can change highlight colors to match the green in the ROM. You can backup your home screens. And did i mention it's lighting fast?

I've never had launcher redraw issues (stock or launcher pro) since I put 8.0 together. I'm using the same ROM as you. You shouldn't either =)

Upvote 0
Did not use 7.0. I did the flashlight test and it worked. The brightness went up until the screen timed out. When I unlocked it was dimmer again. Is this how it should work?

If so is there a way to change this to work standard?

Thanks!

Yes. PM and remind me and I'll post a new framework-res.apk with the stock brightness settings. Otherwise, if you're feeling gutsy you can do it yourself using this program...

http://www.xeudoxus.com/android/xUltimate-ABP.zip

You have to pull framework-res.apk and put it in the folder with this application. Use the following command from the tools folder of the android sdk:

adb pull /system/framework/framework-res.apk framework-res.apk

The file will now be in the tools folder of the android sdk

Cut and paste it into the folder where you unzipped the application above. Run it and chose your desired setting - 16 is stock. It will edit the file for you. Now, cut and paste the file back into the tools folder of the android sdk.

Next, reboot into recovery, mount /system (in partitions menu of clockworkmod) and push the file back onto the phone using the following command from the tools folder of the android sdk.

adb push framework-res.apk /system/framework/framework-res.apk

Voila!

It's much easier than it sounds. You can have it done in five-ten minutes if you're already familiar with using adb and command prompt.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones