• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM]--CHARITY--Smoked Glass Themed v9.0 Froyo 2.2.1 Built From Source! BRAND SPANKIN' NEW

Poll closed due to new release for this ROM

• 5 Star ROM Rating: Elite

Votes: 26 92.9%
  • 4 Star ROM Rating: Outstanding

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • 3 Star ROM Rating: Average

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2 Star ROM Rating: Not Ready for Primetime

• 1 Star ROM Rating: Not Usable

• Total voters
Not to brag, but one of the forum's mods recently told me that our ROM is the highest ranked in their polling system of all Droid ROMs. Last version (8.x) averaged 4.72/5! This one is even higher. Rank the ROM and let's keep the ball rollin'

Thanks everyone!

Brag away, Dan - you deserve it! v9.2 is better than ever, bit faster than even before by my rough estimation. I'd rate this 5 stars multiple times if I could... :D

Upvote 0
Is this a known froyo issue? Any additional info or links?
You will probably never notice the issue unless you have your phone hooked up to a stereo system... such as your car stereo (my usage).

This is from Pandora's website:

Why am I experiencing audio issues on Froyo?
If you have upgraded to Froyo (Android 2.2), you may notice audio-quality issues while listening to Pandora. The Android team is aware of this issue with AAC+ audio and has released a fix, which is gradually being rolled out on the various Android handsets.
Currently the Sprint HTC EVO and the Google Nexus One have OTA Android OS updates that incorporate this AAC+ audio fix.
If you have a different handset than the two mentioned, please contact the support team for your handset if you have any further questions about this issue.

Documentation of the issue...

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=9308&can=1&q=Pandora&colspec=ID

http://androidforums.com/droid-all-things-root/169151-aac-fix-not-working.html

Upvote 0
Yeah, seeing "2.2.1" in your thread title is what caused me to try this. I have tried almost every new ROM out there trying to find one that duplicates how well Pandora used to sound on 2.1. Since 2.2.1 fixed the N1, I thought for sure this ROM was going to be THE ONE! ;)

It's also possible that the files I edited in the esource to add FLAC support may have adversly affected AAC/AAC+ support. Please let me know if the test file is working as it should! I want to get to the root of this. To me, it sounded fine and i have no problem with pandora, albeit I don't use it very much on my phone. If it is indeed still a problem, I can probably dig deeper and figure it out...

Upvote 0
Ok, I just got done running a few more comparisons, so I hope this helps...

I compared the sound files from the Google Code page using Charity, LithMod, UD 0.8.0 and UD 1.0.0… noticed NO difference between the different ROMs. Those files didn't sound bad at all. I wouldn't say CD quality, and I could hear a little bit of digital distortion in the vocals, but that may be due to the files only being 48kbps.

I also went back and compared Pandora while I had the different ROMs restored on my phone, and there IS a difference there. Using LithMod, I couldn't find a single song that was decoded properly. Using Charity and the UD ROMs, I was still getting roughly 2 of 3 decoded properly. So the question is, why did the sample files play fine, while Pandora is having issues? And, why are the Pandora issues sporadic?

Also, I don't know if you saw my posts in the other threads regarding D1 vs. D2. Why is it that the D2 doesn't seem to be affected by this decoding issue when both phones are using Android 2.2?

Upvote 0
It's also possible that the files I edited in the esource to add FLAC support may have adversly affected AAC/AAC+ support. Please let me know if the test file is working as it should! I want to get to the root of this. To me, it sounded fine and i have no problem with pandora, albeit I don't use it very much on my phone. If it is indeed still a problem, I can probably dig deeper and figure it out...

I haven't tried out your rom but, this is a known issue with all froyo versions, even with 2.2.1 so I doubt that you did anything to mess up the quality in pandora.

Upvote 0
Also, I don't know if you saw my posts in the other threads regarding D1 vs. D2. Why is it that the D2 doesn't seem to be affected by this decoding issue when both phones are using Android 2.2?

I haven't tried this ROM yet, but I did download a different 2.2.1 ROM and still had audio quality issues while listening to Slacker. It sounded like there was TOO MUCH bass... every track sounded distorted and overdriven through headphones at any volume level. I didn't spend much time listening, but I want to say that the audio quality sounded different than it did on FRG22D... like something has changed. The highs were somewhat crisper and more focused.

I am also curious as to why N1 users are reporting the audio issues as being fixed, yet Droid 1 users with the same FRG83 build are still experiencing problems. I have noticed that every 2.2.1 ROM for the Droid indicates that it was built "using FRG22D Droid proprietary files". What exactly are these proprietary files and what do they do? Perhaps our problems are due to the fact that part of the FRG22D code is still being used (a hardware driver or something to that effect)?

In summary, I have a hunch that Google may have fixed the problems in the 2.2.1 code, but proprietary code that has been pulled from the Droid's official FRG22D build may be causing issues.

Upvote 0
quick fyi...

There's a new version of YouTube which is really cool in the market.

If you have any problems downloading it....

Go to Settings ---> Applications ---> YouTube
Clear Data

Then...

Delete /system/app/YouTube.apk (use root explorer, titanium backup, terminal emulator, or adb)

Reboot

Install.

I'll have it pre-installed in the next version.

Any other features you guys would like to see?

So far here's what I got on the to-do list....
-New YouTube app
-Remove Google Voice (download from Market)
-Long press on volume keys for changing tracks
- ? ? ?

Upvote 0
Not sure if it's been mentioned before, but what about customization of the notification light?

Also, I am mostly happy with my current setup...especially the revolution theme (on another ROM). I am really considering moving back to Charity but would like to keep some aspects of that theme. Am I correct in that I can just metamorph my favorite aspects of a particular theme into any ROM I choose? Assuming, of course, that I can find them.

dew912...this ROM ran better on my phone than any other thus far. You've done great work and your presence and responsiveness on this forum is unmatched. Thank you!

EDIT: Did some searching and found bazillions of metamorphable icons, mainly for the notification bar (i.e. round battery icons). Unless someone can...or wants to port the revo theme to this ROM. Will probably flash back to charity this weekend.

Upvote 0
Just wondering if for those of us that have it already when you do an update can you release it smaller, like just the new APK? Other than that this is my favorite ROM to date. One request I have though is can you please change the google talk notification back to stock. I would rather it say talk than have something that looks like a text message up there. I use both a lot and to different people so its nice to know which is which. if anyone knows how to do this please let me know.

Upvote 0
Just wondering if for those of us that have it already when you do an update can you release it smaller, like just the new APK? Other than that this is my favorite ROM to date. One request I have though is can you please change the google talk notification back to stock. I would rather it say talk than have something that looks like a text message up there. I use both a lot and to different people so its nice to know which is which. if anyone knows how to do this please let me know.

I haven't touched google talk...

Upvote 0
Doe anyone else have troubles with the market in this ROM. With the stock FRG22D if you uninstalled an app it would show as free in the market until you refreshed or came back later. It also sorted apps by install date. With this ROM running all of my apps are there and never go away. The problem I am having is that new apps that require updates are getting placed below a lot of apps that have been uninstalled. Is there a way to get the market behavior back to what a stock FRG22D experience is?

Upvote 0
A few more things happening on mine. Every time i reboot the phone defaults to silent and the wallpaper changes. To the ROM default. Thinking I might just reflash it unless someone has some suggestions.

Edit: I have been using the reboot now application when making changes to the phone and that is when this has happened. Out of curiosity after posting this I thought it might be like windows, without a full shutdown something don't save. Sure enough did a power off instead and then turned it back on, it must be the reboot now widget causing this that it doesn't properly terminate certain processes

Upvote 0
I haven't touched google talk...

The icon is one I have never seen before its not the standard text icon its similar to that except having a smiley face it just has some lines in it. I actually took it out and used metamorph to replace it with a colored one that says talk in the google colors. Not huge deal thanks to metamorph.

Edit: The Icon is in the framework-res folder for chats not part of the Google talk .apk from what i can see since it is a system app it looks built into the OS not sure if its something Motorola changed then compared to what this was built off of.

/framework-res/res/drawable-hdpi/stat_notify_chat.png once its extracted
metmorph theme xml dump of the change

<item>framework-res.apk</item>
<path>/system/framework/</path>
<description>Replaces old Talk notification icon.</description>

Would love to see this and the main icon included in a future release the metamorph files can be found here if it helps.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=653689

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones