• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM ]--CHARITY--Smoked Glass Themed Version 12 !! Gingerbread 2.3.4

version 12.5
Charity125.zip

changelog:

added 180 rotation (will auto rotate to left and right)
volume control matches direction of the screen
keyboard lights fix
added user agent option to browser
reverted to gtalk from gingerbread release
wifi improvements

DEW912 - Thank you so much for fixing the keyboard lights. It's good to see them light up again, so when I'm sitting in the parking lot waiting on my son to get off from work I can see where they keys are at on the keyboard again.

However, I'm now having some problems with wifi not starting up sometimes. With the last two ROMS, it seems like I have to fight with it to get it to connect to any wifi at all. I have two wifi routers at my home, one covers the downstairs, and the other the upstairs... my droid refuses to connect to either one of them unless and turn the feature on and off several times and or pull my battery. Once it connects it will stay that way until I move into the area covered by the next wifi device, in which it will drop the wifi connection to the upstairs device (which is ok) but it won't connect to the one downstairs until I muck with it for 10 - 15 minutes... (or so it seems like that long.) Have you experienced any flakeyness with the wifi connectivity as of late?

Again, I'm loving the new ROM, even with the wifi flakeyness.

Cheers,
-Stone

Upvote 0
Managed to find the stock wallpaper as for the Mms.apk for those interested I used:

BB Black Messenger App for Gingerbread - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

Note that you can not use the old one as it does not work, you need a gingerbread compatible file.

I used the instructions here for root explorer:
1. Download this file to the root of your SD card: MMS.apk (alt link)
2. Place it on the root of your SD Card.
3. Using Root Explorer navigate to /sdcard/ and locate Mms.apk.
4. Long press on Mms.apk and select

Upvote 0
I am working on making the old battery indicator from the previous version (11) and have already got it working. Now I just need to get the colors right. It is similar to the old one but remade from the completed circle I sized my eraser to be as close to 5% and made it so the circle will move as accurately as possible. I will post it up here as soon as I am finished for those that want to make version 12 look as close as possible to 11 or who like me really enjoyed the non standard design.

The file is attached, the green is ever so slightly darker than the green used in this rom; however, it looks fine and I think a bit better this way as it is against black and not the light grey. To use download the attachment and then (after backing up the stock file):

1. RENAME IT to framework-res.apk
  2. Copy the new framework-res.apk onto your phone in the SYSTEM folder
  3. Change the permissions to RW-R--R--
  4. Move the file into the FRAMEWORK folder
  5. Reboot

Attachments

• unsignedframework-res.apk
    4 MB · Views: 80
Reactions: demontime
Upvote 0
I use root explorer so on there you just hold down on the object and when the menu pops up you get an option called permissions. It is gui based so then check the proper check boxes (I do a lot of web and sourcemod programing so I am used to messing with this sort of stuff)

Here is a quick lesson on how to read permissions so you know what to do in gui or other systems and or how to simply know what this seemingly random string means:
Example RW-R--R--

1. Note that there are 9 spaces total (yes the - counts)
  2. They represent 3 sets of permissions
    1. Owner
    2. Group
    3. Public
  3. Each group has 3 options
    1. Read
    2. Write
    3. Execute
Setting the permissions ensures proper file security and in addition proper permissions may be and is required on many system files. For example on the Mms.apk I linked to in an above post I did not set the permissions correctly when I installed it in the system/app folder as a result I could not use it until I did.

Also note that you will need to select mount r/w so that you can write to system folders. Such an option is in root explorer which I really recommend if linux command line is not your cup of tea.

On another note I hope to some time in the next few months start making some themes for this ROM. I have enjoyed this great rom for many years now and this latest version has really expired me to learn how to do some modding.

Reactions: josh3ber
Upvote 0
I just installed this today using RomManager, and wiped data and cache. Now, a bunch of apps I used to have are no longer on my phone, and don't even show up in the market; Google Maps, MailDroid, Pulse Newsreader, Latitude, and several others. I backed everything up using Titanium before Romming. Any ideas?

Upvote 0
I just installed this today using RomManager, and wiped data and cache. Now, a bunch of apps I used to have are no longer on my phone, and don't even show up in the market; Google Maps, MailDroid, Pulse Newsreader, Latitude, and several others. I backed everything up using Titanium before Romming. Any ideas?

Re-install the ROM, but before you do:

Install Clockwork mod. (You can do this via RomManager)

Reboot to Recovery

From the main menu in CWR:
Wipe data/cache
wipe cache

From the mount/partitions menu:
wipe boot, system, data, cache

from the advanced menu:
wipe davlik cache and battery stats

(Wipe everything except your SD Card)

Re-install the Rom from the SD Card.

Upvote 0
Re-install the ROM, but before you do:

Install Clockwork mod. (You can do this via RomManager)

Reboot to Recovery

From the main menu in CWR:
Wipe data/cache
wipe cache

From the mount/partitions menu:
wipe boot, system, data, cache

from the advanced menu:
wipe davlik cache and battery stats

(Wipe everything except your SD Card)

Re-install the Rom from the SD Card.

This seems like exactly what was done. When I installed the ROM using Rom Manager, I selected to Backup Currnet ROM, Wipe Data and Cache, and Wipe Davlik Cache. Does it make a difference doing it by rebooting to recovery, rather than letting Rom Manager take care of it?

Upvote 0
Is anyone else having random network drops?

I was having it before my custom framework-res.apk but now I notice it more. I do not think framework-res.apk can cause this.

Is anyone else having the signal basically freeze?

Yup, I'm having Network drops and hangs... WIFI only at this point. Sometimes it's like it can't even connect after a reboot and pulling the battery. I mentioned this in a previous post. I can be using the browser and suddently WIFI goes away, and won't reconnect until a play with it and somehow it will reconnect.

-Stone.

Upvote 0
Yup, I'm having Network drops and hangs... WIFI only at this point. Sometimes it's like it can't even connect after a reboot and pulling the battery. I mentioned this in a previous post. I can be using the browser and suddently WIFI goes away, and won't reconnect until a play with it and somehow it will reconnect.

-Stone.

Found the problem. Will fix shortly

Reactions: chargerboy87
Upvote 0
Charity rom 12.5 has been working really well on my Droid 1, but my battery doesn't last a long as it did with v11. I'm using the low 1.1 kernel. Is there another kernel I could use that would help the battery last longer? I'm not terribly knowledgeable about this stuff. Thanks.

HERE is a list of other ChevyNo1 kernels (most recent I believe)

I would suggest downloading 2-3 kernels of lower Hz, like maybe 1000 or 900 to start. You could try using an ultra low voltage (ULV) but these kernels can be very finicky on some phones and either cause instability or bootloopish behavior (my phone has never been good with ULV). This is why I suggest always having a few kernels because you can just flash to a different one if you have problems.

HERE are some raidzero kernels which SHOULD work with gingerbread

A google search would come up with lots, lots more kernels to choose from.

As always, do a backup before trying any of this.

This being said, the kernel may not be the only problem with your battery life, and thus, the only solution. Also, some more knowledgeable than me suggest resetting battery stats every time you flash a new ROM.

Reactions: josh3ber
Upvote 0
I was referring to 3g however it appears to also have effected other phones and was something in that area. Glad to see that my problems helped some others get their issues solved.

When I get some time I am going to learn more about making themes so I can release some cool theme options for this rom like the previously released battery meter based off the one from V11.

Also does anyone know how to get a crt on animation? It would be an awesome complement to the crt off animation.

Upvote 0
I had version 12 installed and had problems with wifi, so I just installed v12.6 over the top with out wiping data and cache. I'm too lazy to have to reinstall everything and wanted to see if it works, and it does. the question I have is, how do I know if it installed v12.6 and is running it? Is there a place to check or to tell, thanks and the ROM is awesome

Upvote 0
I had version 12 installed and had problems with wifi, so I just installed v12.6 over the top with out wiping data and cache. I'm too lazy to have to reinstall everything and wanted to see if it works, and it does. the question I have is, how do I know if it installed v12.6 and is running it? Is there a place to check or to tell, thanks and the ROM is awesome

From the PHone Menu, select Settings -> About Phone

Then scroll all the way down to the bottom where it should say:

Kernel Version
2.3.32-lowV-1.1Ghz-ChevyNo1
Chevyno1@gingerbread #53111

Build Number
GingerBread 2.3.4

-Stone

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones