• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ROM chat - What ROM(s) are you using?

CM is horribly slow on the Nexus 5 to be honest. I'm using Mahdi, it's the most complete and smooth custom ROM I've tried so far. It has a theme chooser too. Couple it with ElementalX kernel, and you get one beast of a phone.

You haven't tried DU then. Fastest ROM on the Hammerhead, easily (w/o custom kernel too). However, I'm a little biased. :D

Upvote 0
It was, and Purity seemed like the closest still active ROM, it even had a couple things Cataclysm didn't, like adding extra laucher shortcuts. I defintely miss the built in call-blocker, but luckily there was an Xposed mod for that.

The problem with Cataclysm was that it wasn't open source. Given that the device is a Nexus, it didn't sit right with a lot of devs on XDA (including myself).

Upvote 0
I saw that the other day. If you give it a go, let us know how it is. It looks pretty interesting.

I tried out and tested the Flyme OS for the last day.
It was actually pretty dang cool and yes, it's quite different and has some decent pre-built in apps.
If someone is looking for a change of pace and wanting to try it... It's definitely worth looking into.
The only issue's that I had while running Flyme was that I was getting a couple FC's on "android A.Core and android.com.media, so I either need to look into that and or submit a LogCat to the dev to see what the deal/issue is there. Other than that overall everything else was running fine and the UI was very cool and just different than any other ROM I've tried on the N5. :thumbup:

I'm now back on the latest DU Test Build with Franco kernel... Can't beet DU! Personally DU is the best, fastest, smoothest and an all around full featured ROM that suits all my needs in a ROM! :party:

Reactions: NYCHitman1
Upvote 0
Interesting development... Atlantis is back. There was a lot of speculation as to where he has been, but it looks as though there will be a lollipop cataclysm

Hello everyone.
It's late now so i'll be brief.
I want to thank [MENTION=4478812]ApriliaM3[/MENTION] for taking care of the thread during my forced absence and whole XDA for having it back.
The reasons of my absence are beyond the scope of the thread so please no more speculations and let's talk only about development.
Tomorrow will update in detail about the status and the future of Cataclysm.

Reactions: Mehta23 and Hook
Upvote 0
Interesting development... Atlantis is back. There was a lot of speculation as to where he has been, but it looks as though there will be a lollipop cataclysm
Cataclysm is an excellent Rom for Kitkat or Lollipop.
I am currently using the Lollipop version and I will stay with it as long it is supported.
A new update was posted today that makes it complete.

Upvote 0
Wouldn't mind giving it a go as well but confused on what to flash (yeah I know I'm a definite rookie) and don't want to brick my phone.

Use the DevHost link. The Android FileHost link doesn't look like it has been updated (has Nov 15th version). It appears you need two files, the Nov 24th Full ROM and the Nov 27th update file. I'm assuming you flash those two in sequence after doing a wipe of system, boot and data (not userdata). Don't flash Gapps, they are included (that and the being closed source are a couple of the things that are off about this ROM, but I enjoyed the KitKat version until DU came along).

I'll probably do this tomorrow morning if you want to wait and see what I run into. ;) Nothing like the blind leading the blind.

Upvote 0
Using Cataclysm now. Very nice, but really realize how feature packed Dirty Unicorns was. At least now I can get to the Quick Toggles with a single finger pull, but not much customization there still. Unfortunately, I really hate Lolipop's implementation of Quick Toggles to begin with, which not even DU may be able to do much about. We'll have to see. For now, nice to have a few more options than I had.

I'll stay on Cataclysm for now and patiently await a stable test version or release version of DU 9.

I confess that while I like the performance of Android 5.0, I'm sort of meh about material design, whatever that is.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones