• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM] (ChevyNo1) SS GB 5.00

Has he patched the issue with the 3G icon showing up with WiFi connected yet? Also, is there any way to disable those annoying menu transitions he has on this ROM?

I might try this again if those get fixed. But this ROM wasn't running nearly as smooth as Petes stock build. His new kernels also killed my WiFi. I absolutely loved SS 4.9 and below, but these last couple releases don't seem to be up to par on my phone somehow. I did a clean wipe and was getting crazy launcher lag as well as overall phone lag. I did a complete wipe before installing too. Not sure how I could have screwed it up. I really want to come back to this though just for all the extra SS features, but not at the cost of performance/stability.

Upvote 0
I tried this Rom for 40 hours. I must say that it looked absolutely amazing. My phone was smooth and ran fast. The first day i experienced a few reboots but decided to let it settle in. The last 20 hours I have been getting a random reboot about every 30 minutes. I did not install anything new or change any settings. I am not sure what was causing it and most of the time the phone was sleeping. I guess its back to Petes BB Froyo until a new version. But excellent work, i loved the feel and and cant wait to try another SS.

Upvote 0
I tried this Rom for 40 hours. I must say that it looked absolutely amazing. My phone was smooth and ran fast. The first day i experienced a few reboots but decided to let it settle in. The last 20 hours I have been getting a random reboot about every 30 minutes. I did not install anything new or change any settings. I am not sure what was causing it and most of the time the phone was sleeping. I guess its back to Petes BB Froyo until a new version. But excellent work, i loved the feel and and cant wait to try another SS.

Did you change kernels? The only time I have ever had "random reboots" is when I was trying to run too low of a voltage and too high of an over clock speed. Either increase the voltage or lower the overclock. Try different combos till you find the one that works the best with your phone. :)

Upvote 0
Seldom do I get reboots. Now and then, but not too distracting.
However, every single launcher I have tried with this (Go ex, launcherpro, included adw) has terrible app drawer performance. LauncherPro opens and begins populating apps vs all the apps appearing. Go launcher has the apk icon, and they begin to populate with the actual app icons. Adw is just awfully slow. I don't know what's going on. I tried sticking the launchers on the phone vs SD card, playing with scaling, nothing is helping. I'm worried a wipe won't fix this, and I'm going to have to switch from this awesome rom.

Upvote 0
I love the ROM however, I am getting random reboots (like everybody else) This happens when I get a text message once in a while...Also, the stock virtual keyboard force closes on me sometimes. no biggie. so far everthing seems to be working just fine... my 3G signal drops after a phone call but I heard this is every GB ROM .
I wish there was a Launcher out there with no issues... I tried AWD, GoLauncher, LauncherPro they all lag it is really annoying. if anyone knows how to fix any of these issues please let me know.

Upvote 0
Well after running this for close to 2 days, I think I'm giving up on Gingerbread, Ultimate Droids ran the best but stupid things like not connecting to my wireless at work, losing 3G after a phonecall and other force close issues and random junk happening, I'm going back, SS GB 5 ran the worst out of the ones I've tried, looks good but its really slow on my phone compared to UD and it drains my battery much faster as well, so that automatically makes it a switch....will come back to these at some point, but until all these issues are fixed I'm heading back to Froyo

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones