• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[ROM] CM 11 (kitkat 4.4) nightlies

colchiro

Extreme Android User
Jun 4, 2010
Reactions: Unforgiven
Something like that.

Just flashed it a bit ago, my first try at anything higher than 10.1 and my first datamedia rom.

Milac's nightlies don't have the new kernel yet so some things, like Browser, still have black backgrounds. The new kernel is going to be huge, since we've been stuck with an old kernel for some time. I think it date before gingerbread. :D

Upvote 0
Very experimental. For experienced users only.

[ROM] [EXPERIMENTAL] [NIGHTLY] [KitKat] [4.4] CyanogenMod 11.0 nightlies - xda-developers

system - 500mb
cache - 200mb
media - 400mb
data - [remaining space] (i.e. ~11.5gb for 16gb TouchPads)

iMarck90 provided a really good explanation over on Rootzwiki about why one might want to install a DataMedia version of CM:

"I have finally understood why Milaq has decision to migrate to the new standard, the motivation is simple "Multiusers".

If you want use correctly multiusers you need the new standard. Try with CM 10.1 the multiusers and you can see when you create a new users there is a soft reboot but the user is create correctly.
The division of space isn't correct, you can see the new users occupied the same space like your owner user and when you try to install a game like Asphalt that share the same data with the new users, Asphalt is crash when you launch with the new users and some minor issues.

So this is the motivation. If you want a stable multiusers functionality you don't have another choice."

If multiuser functionality is not your cup of tea, then I would suggest installing the Evervolv version which does not require all the partition adjustments or the datamedia cwm. One still needs to use the newer ACMEInstaller4 or 5 to increase the /system partition size so the install will fit.

Upvote 0
I have no use for multi-user on any of my devices. In our household, it's one device per user. I DID install this, but was a little disappointed it didn't have the new kernel and it didn't prompt me to update to a new nightly, but I suspect that functionality will come.

I had no problem installing, but decided I needed to increase my system a bit, since it was a little under the 500 mb cutoff, then after restoring apps via TIBU, ran out of data, so had to increase that a LOT, which I again used Tailor. I naively assumed it would assign all the free space to data automagically.

Still, pretty solid for a alpha build, a little laggy at times, but aside from the black screens in gmail and browser, which the new kernel will fix, a pretty sold build. (I'm still on the initial build.)

Upvote 0
I have no use for multi-user either. I have no use for having to manipulate the partitions either just to get what most of us would consider a totally different way of installing Android. I suppose at some point if one wants to continue installing newer versions of Android on the TouchPad, data-media will become the norm. Personally, the version I am running now works so well, don't know I will bother with any version past it.

The fact that there are developers out there that even consider writing code for a tablet that is rapidly approaching three years old is amazing. One would think they would want to move on to something newer and more modern.

Upvote 0
For those of you who have questions, want info, need guidance on the installation of Android 4.4 in whatever version you want to try, Evervolv by Flintman, CM11 by Milaq and Invisiblek, Rolanddeschain79 who has created so many great threads and videos about installing all the different versions of Android has just posted a new thread dedicated to Android 4.4, data/media builds. Be sure to drop by the link below and thank him for his excellent support of Android on the HP TouchPad:

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/113874-r...roid-44-data-media-builds-on-the-hp-touchpad/

Reactions: colchiro
Upvote 0
Last time the biggest problem I had was figuring out which acme installer to use.

I tried all the versions 2-1/2 to 5-1/4.... :D It really shouldn't need to be that complicated. Have one installer that asks a few questions or throw them all in a grid:

Recovery, Rom, D/M, etc.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Thanks, I saw that earlier. I updated last night and it was a chore. Couldn't get Flintman's build to install via Acme 5m so instead installed Milaq's, figuring I could upgrade that later. Both my TP's were idle for about a month so not too worried about them as long as I don't brick them. I do have to admit all the recoveries and rom versions are going to screw up a lot of Touchpads. :D

Upvote 0
Cool! I'm glad he's looking into it, although I don't think Roland needs to add it to the OP. Most people that use his guides just want the basics and it's already too cluttered. I like Roland's guides, but after awhile there gets to be too much info. Still he does better than I do. Once I saw his guides, I quit writing them and just referred people to his. :D

I used Acme5m to install, yet still had to move 24 gb to the data partition and add 100 mb to system with Tailor. I thought Acme was supposed to do all that for me?

Also found out I have Milaq's CM 10.2 so guess I'll be wiping soon. It was one of Roland's link-with-all-the-files in it so I knew it should work. It's also quite laggy so I assumed it was the latest and greatest and time would fix it.

Upvote 0
The only thing ACME5M does is add 600mb to the /system partition. You should do the Tailor stuff first minus increasing /system since ACME will do that. My thinking is to use Taylor to change everything else except /system, then use ACME to increase /system, and install just moboot and recovery. Then use the modified recovery to install the data/media ROM and Gapps. Want to be my guinea pig? :D

Upvote 0
Actually I was acme uninstalling everything first (3x during the course of the evening) so hard to start out making changes before.

Acme will increase system to 600 mb if it's less, otherwise leaves it alone. I had trouble with reinstalling gApps to fix a PlayStore issue until I increased system.

I do have another TP, what you got in mind? :D (I should donate it to a dev so I have one less to maintain.)

Made sure I updated the firmware last night and left it running so we'll see how the battery use is tonight.

Upvote 0
Use Tailor to set up the partitions. Run ACME5M to install just Moboot and Milaq's recovery. Use recovery to install the data/media Rom and then Gapps.

I've heard that some of the Gapps packages are huge and can cause one to run out of /system memory. There are some smaller ones around or I read, increase /system to 700mb.

I just asked Flintman if flashing his test TWRP.zip using CWM first removes CWM before installing TWRP. When I get an answer, I'll have another idea for you. :D

Upvote 0
Wow, rather long post I typed last night just up and disappeared. :thinking:

Flintman confirmed that flashing his hybrid TWRP using CWM first deletes CWM before installing TWRP. So, my theory is that if done the right way, you should be able to install any of the 4.4/3.xx/data-media kernel Roms using his TWRP. Here is what I propose:

1. More or delete as much as you can off the current SD card, as you are going to use Tailor to move most of the memory over to the data partition. One way to do this would be from WebOS/settings/reset options, reset USB drive. Run Tailor and set up the partitions as suggested by the developers. If I were doing this, I would leave a gig or two for WebOS to use.

system - 600mb( or maybe even 700mb)
cache - 200mb
media - 400mb(leave a gig or two here)
data - [remaining space] (i.e. ~11.5gb for 16gb TouchPads)

2. Run ACME5 to install just Moboot and CWM
3. Use CWM to flash Flintman's hybrid TWRP.
You will find it on the OP here:[ROM] Evervolv | 4.0.0p1 [AOSP 4.4.2] [3.4 kernel] [Nightlies] With /data/media - xda-developers

4. Flash one of the 4.4 data/media Roms from Flintman, Milaq and Invisiblek and the Gapps of your choice for KitKat.

Remember when switching between CM and Evervolv, the uImage is not named the same. I believe Flintman said that when you install Evervolv, his scripts are built to remove CM, but not the other way around. So I would suggest running ACMEUninstaller2 and doing a clean install of each Rom using Flintman's TWRP. And yes, I believe ACMEUninstaller2 undoes all the partition size changes you made with Tailor.

As far as I understand, none of the ACMEInstallers will install a data media Rom. That is why one has to use one of the special recoveries. And now you know why I am not particularly interested in trying any of the data/media Roms. Although, Flintman is still supporting an Evervolv 4.4/3.xx kernel that is not a data/media build, at least for now.

If you choose to accept this mission Grasshopper, I disavow any responsibility for any reboots, bricking, or black holes created by trying this. :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones