• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM] CTMod 3.80 (04/01/13)

I just updated to 3.8 yesterday, and I'm having problems with Gmail. It FC's every time I try to open it. I downloaded and installed it fresh from the play store. It opened fine right after I installed it; I even opened a couple of emails. Every time since, however, I can even get to my inbox. It force closes immediately. All other google apps work fine. Has anyone else had this issue, or an idea of what's causing it or how to fix it?

Any help is appreciated.

This happens sometimes when you open attachments. I had it happen one time after I opened a PDF with Acrobat. Going into apps and choosing Gmail and choosing clear cache and Clear data fixed it for me.

Upvote 0
This happens sometimes when you open attachments. I had it happen one time after I opened a PDF with Acrobat. Going into apps and choosing Gmail and choosing clear cache and Clear data fixed it for me.

That's not the problem. As I said, I can't even get to my inbox. I certainly didn't open any attachments. I tried clearing data anyway (there was no cache to clear), and that didn't work. I like this rom, and I hate to say it, but this might be a deal breaker if I can't get Gmail to work. It's an app I use pretty often. I'm guessing there is a simple fix though, since no one else seems to be having this as an ongoing problem.

Upvote 0
That's not the problem. As I said, I can't even get to my inbox. I certainly didn't open any attachments. I tried clearing data anyway (there was no cache to clear), and that didn't work. I like this rom, and I hate to say it, but this might be a deal breaker if I can't get Gmail to work. It's an app I use pretty often. I'm guessing there is a simple fix though, since no one else seems to be having this as an ongoing problem.

The rom doesn't have any issues with Gmail. You probably just had something get corrupted.

Do a factory wipe and see if it works. if not try reflashing the rom and don't make any changes till you make sure Gmail is working.

Upvote 0
Is there a way to change the way the Messaging app displays in CTMod? The stock app uses black text against an off-white background for my messages, with a light blue background behind my recipients' messages. With CTMod's version, I see white text against a black background for all messages. It works fine, but is just a little harder on my eyes. I know I could load another SMS app, but I prefer the stock version. Thanks for any advice you may have.

Upvote 0
Is there a way to change the way the Messaging app displays in CTMod? The stock app uses black text against an off-white background for my messages, with a light blue background behind my recipients' messages. With CTMod's version, I see white text against a black background for all messages. It works fine, but is just a little harder on my eyes. I know I could load another SMS app, but I prefer the stock version. Thanks for any advice you may have.

The app would have to be re-themed.

Upvote 0
This sounds like something beyond my capabilities, then. Thanks for your response, wetbiker7.

take a look at this Chomp SMS, it has a lot of themes.
and you can customize any color, font, background.
I personally, downloaded black theme, change changed something things around.
install it, try it.

and has a lot of options, one that i like, quick reply.
dGZTzYY-Ma6cHPe2_lhda1vICTkE1ikIFcIY2VEn_44feuJQ9ENSV1bRqXMBn8H3o70

Upvote 0
Thanks for the recommendation, pyccki! I have seen Chomp, but prefer to stick w/the stock app for simplicity. I have read up on it, though, and it's on my short list if I can't find any other options.

I like Chompsms so much that i went ahead and got the ad-free version. It's a great lil messaging app. Very easy to customize too. :D

Upvote 0
I like Chompsms so much that i went ahead and got the ad-free version. It's a great lil messaging app. Very easy to customize too. :D

Thanks so much, everyone, for suggesting ways to address my question on messaging app themes. It's a small concern in the bigger scheme of things and I appreciate your help in thinking this through.

My hesitation to try another SMS/MMS program comes from wanting to keep things simple. For years I happily used GO SMS Pro. A little while ago, GO made their "GO MMS" service the default, which uploads my photos to an unidentified server & sends my recipients a link, rather than sending them a true MMS. I've read there are ways around it, but when I also started receiving spam texts from GO to try their other services I said, "The heck with it" and went back to the stock app. Initially, it was hard to adjust to its spartan appearance, but now I find its simplicity surprisingly refreshing and have come to prefer it.

A prettier SMS app with more features does appeal to me. I'm just leery of the authors of a 3rd party program doing something similar to GO, and my having to find something else again. That, and the occasional reports of these apps having problems sending MMS messages has made me retreat to the stock app. After reading wetbiker7 and pyccki's glowing reports on Chomp, though, I now know I need to at least install Chomp SMS and give it a try. :) I'll let you all know how it goes. Thanks again, everyone!

Upvote 0
Thanks so much, everyone, for suggesting ways to address my question on messaging app themes. It's a small concern in the bigger scheme of things and I appreciate your help in thinking this through.

My hesitation to try another SMS/MMS program comes from wanting to keep things simple. For years I happily used GO SMS Pro. A little while ago, GO made their "GO MMS" service the default, which uploads my photos to an unidentified server & sends my recipients a link, rather than sending them a true MMS. I've read there are ways around it, but when I also started receiving spam texts from GO to try their other services I said, "The heck with it" and went back to the stock app. Initially, it was hard to adjust to its spartan appearance, but now I find its simplicity surprisingly refreshing and have come to prefer it.

A prettier SMS app with more features does appeal to me. I'm just leery of the authors of a 3rd party program doing something similar to GO, and my having to find something else again. That, and the occasional reports of these apps having problems sending MMS messages has made me retreat to the stock app. After reading wetbiker7 and pyccki's glowing reports on Chomp, though, I now know I need to at least install Chomp SMS and give it a try. :) I'll let you all know how it goes. Thanks again, everyone!

Concerning Chomp, MMS working as regular stock app. No links or anything like "Go SMS".

the only think i still pissed off, about reply to all in MMS.
WTF, Android.
All other mobile OS have this feature, even my OLD TP2 Win Mobile 6.0
:mad:

Upvote 0
Update: On my phone, when a long SMS message has been broken into several messages, Chomp SMS displays them in reverse order, e.g., Part 3, Part 2, then Part 1. I couldn't find a way around it, so I've reluctantly reverted to an older, less annoying version of GO SMS (4.51). Chomp is everything you've said--fast, clean, and with some great features (dismissing the keyboard after sending & delayed sending come to mind). Thanks for the recommendation, guys.

Upvote 0
Update: On my phone, when a long SMS message has been broken into several messages, Chomp SMS displays them in reverse order, e.g., Part 3, Part 2, then Part 1. I couldn't find a way around it, so I've reluctantly reverted to an older, less annoying version of GO SMS (4.51). Chomp is everything you've said--fast, clean, and with some great features (dismissing the keyboard after sending & delayed sending come to mind). Thanks for the recommendation, guys.

I don't think i have the same issue as you > reverse order.

I'll double check.

Upvote 0
First let me say thanks for providing this ROM!

I have it installed and I downloaded RemovedApps.zip as I wanted to get the Swype keyboard back. I placed the apk on the device and used File Explorer to get ot it. When I try to install it, it acts like the installation process is working but ultimately it just displays the message "Application not installed" without any other info.

Is there a problem with Swype and this ROM or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Upvote 0

I have it installed and I downloaded RemovedApps.zip as I wanted to get the Swype keyboard back. I placed the apk on the device and used File Explorer to get ot it. When I try to install it, it acts like the installation process is working but ultimately it just displays the message "Application not installed" without any other info.

Thanks

You might have to go under Settings then Show All then Applications and make sure Unknown Sources is checked. You might also clear the cache in the File Explorer by hitting Settings Key when you have the app open and then More and then Settings then Clear cache.

Upvote 0

Thanks

You have to follow the instructions to add apps back to /system/app. You can't just install them normally.

I wouldn't bother with the Swype app tho, since it doesn't work right even if you do get it installed. Try out TouchPal or the new version of Swype from the play store.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones