• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ROM Devs: Would you please provide MD5 hashes so users can verify their downloads?

I've had it happen a few times. It's not so much a problem for me as it is for newer rooters who don't realize it can cause problems. I've definitely seen and posted in some threads in which it seems that a bad download could have caused the problems, but it's almost impossible to track that down if there's no verification going on. If newer users were encouraged to verify an MD5 hash before installing a ROM, it could avoid a lot of potential issues and questions.

Right now, since it's not a best practice, we don't really think about it.

Upvote 0
Most dont when flashing sbf files even and thats far more important.

yeah thats really not smart.

Tho I've definitely run into cases where a simple re-download and flash has fixed problems. Positive of course that I didn't screw anything up procedure wise.

Also nothing like downloading, wiping and then going to hit install zip, and it failing. Sucks if you aren't near a computer to mount he sdcard. Reload the backup, boot, download again, boot to recovery, wipe various partitions, try again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones