• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM] Dirty Unicorns 4.4.4 {One M8} (10/19/14)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Used this ROM on my Nexus 4 and 5. Great ROM.
I am on a sense based ROM (Viper) now.
Can I just flash this like any other ROM? Make a backup, wipe then flash?
Or are there other steps involved?

Thanks

Flashing instructions are in the OP, please read them.

You flash how your normally do, and I personally would wipe your internal storage because of how some things are set up.

?

There's zero need to wipe your internal storage.

Reactions: Rocco2012
Upvote 0
Flashing instructions are in the OP, please read them.

?

There's zero need to wipe your internal storage.
I personally wipe my internal when I go from Sense to GPE or AOSP just so there is no residual issues. I know that is probably a hold back from the good old days of the original Incredible. Its a preference, not a necessity.

Upvote 0
Bluetooth issues have been worked out? Might have to take this out for a test drive, maybe tonight.

Well, I haven't had any BT issues with the one device (speaker) I own nor have I received any reports involving any BT issues. Safe to assume that BT is golden. However, if you come across something. Feel free to let me know.

Upvote 0
I'll try to make a point of installing this sometime in the next week or so (maybe tonight, maybe not). IIRC Viper screwed with my Martian Notifier smartwatch notifications, which was an obvious issue; it would be awesome if that wasn't the case here.

Disclaimer - I'm obviously speaking to whatever version of Viper I installed at the time; can't speak for the current release.

ETA- Installation was a breeze, though initially TiBu balked at restoring from my SD card. Bluetooth seems to be playing nicely with my Martian Notifier. Any way to restore the double-tap to wake up functionality?

Upvote 0
hello,
Thinking about applying this rom to m HTC ONE M8 vzw variant. It has been rooted and has s-off. Currently using CleanRom 1.3.

I noticed a mention in the changelogs about updating the kernel. I have not done anything to the kernel, only flashed CR 1.2, 1.3.
Will the kernel changes mentioned cause an issue with my m8?
No. Every ROM comes with a kernel. I have only tweaked the kernel that comes included in the ROM.

AOSP is a bit different than Sense (CleanROM) though. You might want to research the differences a bit prior to switching.

To answer your question though, there won't be any problems.

Upvote 0
No. Every ROM comes with a kernel. I have only tweaked the kernel that comes included in the ROM.

AOSP is a bit different than Sense (CleanROM) though. You might want to research the differences a bit prior to switching.

To answer your question though, there won't be any problems.

TY

I am not unfamiliar with AOSP. My DINC uses CM 9. I just do not have a lot of hands on experience, other than my 2 phones.. I have tried to understand the differences between AOSP and Sense but................... other than Sense being Google based and AOSP being consumer user based, I have not read anything explaining there differences.
Once I find the rom I like, I stay with it. I do not get bored and reflash OS's.

Right now I am awaiting my carrier, P+, to add 4G LTE service. My m8 was flashed to 3G, I cannot play with it without destroying the 3G flash. Once I go back to 4G stock, I can play a little.

Upvote 0
TY

I am not unfamiliar with AOSP. My DINC uses CM 9. I just do not have a lot of hands on experience, other than my 2 phones.. I have tried to understand the differences between AOSP and Sense but................... other than Sense being Google based and AOSP being consumer user based, I have not read anything explaining there differences.
Once I find the rom I like, I stay with it. I do not get bored and reflash OS's.

Right now I am awaiting my carrier, P+, to add 4G LTE service. My m8 was flashed to 3G, I cannot play with it without destroying the 3G flash. Once I go back to 4G stock, I can play a little.
More like vice versa. AOSP is Google-based. Sense is just a UI on top of Android to provide users a unique experience (from HTC).

Upvote 0
Well since I have only ever used HTC smartphones, I have limited perspective.

I do know that with my DINC, I had Froyo 1st. Every OTA bleeped the device, used warranty 5 times before contract was up. I hated Gingerbread, it seemed to slow, glitchy.

After concluding the 2 year commitment to Verizon, I dropped the data plan and deactivated the DINC. While deactivated I rooted the DINC, found CM 9 ICS, tried several roms. The DINC works better than it ever has before!

The DINC was reactivated on P+ and worked great. It is now my backup device for the M8. So now I look for an ASOP rom for the M8....................CleanRom is excellent, BTW, but it is sense based. It is also faster than the stock OS the M8 came with. What was glitch is no longer. I have read that ASOP does perform better than sense. My experience with the DINC backs this up. But if DU's not good for the M8, I will just go back to CR. I'm gonna give it a go either way.

What sound driver is your rom using? I am gonna assume that BoomSound and the Harman/Kardon drivers are not gonna work..............

Upvote 0
Well since I have only ever used HTC smartphones, I have limited perspective.

I do know that with my DINC, I had Froyo 1st. Every OTA bleeped the device, used warranty 5 times before contract was up. I hated Gingerbread, it seemed to slow, glitchy.

After concluding the 2 year commitment to Verizon, I dropped the data plan and deactivated the DINC. While deactivated I rooted the DINC, found CM 9 ICS, tried several roms. The DINC works better than it ever has before!

The DINC was reactivated on P+ and worked great. It is now my backup device for the M8. So now I look for an ASOP rom for the M8....................CleanRom is excellent, BTW, but it is sense based. It is also faster than the stock OS the M8 came with. What was glitch is no longer. I have read that ASOP does perform better than sense. My experience with the DINC backs this up. But if DU's not good for the M8, I will just go back to CR. I'm gonna give it a go either way.

What sound driver is your rom using? I am gonna assume that BoomSound and the Harman/Kardon drivers are not gonna work..............
None of the Sense features your accustomed to will work on AOSP. They require the framework, which isn't going to happen. However, the audio is still top notch thanks to the amazing speakers on the device. Harmon/Kardon firmware didn't make much of a difference, imo.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones