• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM] Dirty Unicorns 5.1.1 {HAMMERHEAD} (4/26/15)

Which mobile technology does your carrier use?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
To each their own, I personally like Lollipop much more than KitKat.

I like DU. If DU is Lollipop, I like Lollipop. ;)

Actually, the only thing I actually am not nuts about is all that white, but I can put up with it for DU. If dark themeing comes along, great, if not, this ROM still rocks!

Upvote 0
actually it was on there already I though it was gmail until i clicked it so not sure if its something else or not. All I know is that google asking you to get an invite to your mail is bull.my gmail works fine with kitkat but thats not the only thing I don't like all my icons are much bigger like i'm not getting my actual screen resolution. my home page would scroll up and down before I had to reset the page by moving componets up to near the top to get it to no longer scroll down for the rest of the items and lets not get started on the lock screen

Upvote 0
actually it was on there already I though it was gmail until i clicked it so not sure if its something else or not. All I know is that google asking you to get an invite to your mail is bull.my gmail works fine with kitkat but thats not the only thing I don't like all my icons are much bigger like i'm not getting my actual screen resolution. my home page would scroll up and down before I had to reset the page by moving componets up to near the top to get it to no longer scroll down for the rest of the items and lets not get started on the lock screen

Using invites is often a way developers test new products before final release. Gmail was by invite only initially. Inbox is a different approach to email, but Gmail works fine by itself. The screen resolution thing is user setable-- formerly only by editing build prop, but now the resolution module has been added to Dirty Tweaks. However, if you had to scroll within a home screen to see everything, there is something wrong that other people with DU are not experiencing. Did you do a clean flash?

Frankly, DU lollipop has been a pleasure to use even in its earliest stages (I had spent a little time with Cataclysm while I was waiting and the 1st test build of DU had me already not looking back).

As NYCHitman said, to each their own, but it sounds like you had some things other than the ROM itself coloring your experience.

Upvote 0

The lockscreen is one of my favorite features of Lollipop, actually.

Upvote 0
Not a big techy type of a guy but today I d/loaded and flashed the latest test build to my N5 9.0 Hammerhead 1/24/2015.
I also have the N7 2013 and am running the 9.0 Flo 1/17/2015.

All I can say is, I am a very happy camper!! Many thanks to Josh and the team for all the hard work making these roms. Wow are they nice! Buttery smooth and easy on the eyes.
I am using the TBO gapps and the blacked out version of the play store is indeed nice :)

Upvote 0
New DU test build posted on the DU Google test page, build version 5.0.2_10150125-2029.v90.
The theme chooser seems to be working great on this build along with everything else and the heads up display also. Download and get it while it's hot!

That's actually the one I posted about last night... but with the rate they are going up, probably adding the number for clarity is a good idea. ;) Thanks!

Reactions: lennydude
Upvote 0
Downloaded the latest version of DU and flashed Banks gapps last week.

Dude, like seriously this is is the best ROM I've ever used. So frickin smooth.

My only problem is that I can't use GNL it says to remove the launcher3 as the default, but the option to do that is greyed out.

Anyone else got this problem?

You are definitely correct! DU is by far the best ROM... hands down and it only keeps getting better and better with each update that Josh provides for us.

As far as the Google now launcher goes I had the same issue and IIRC, open the "Google Settings" app and from there you have to turn on and activate the GNL launcher.
For some reason it won't activate from the "System/Settings/Home/launcher.

Reactions: NYCHitman1
Upvote 0
As far as the Google now launcher goes I had the same issue and IIRC, open the "Google Settings" app and from there you have to turn on and activate the GNL launcher.

That is correct. For some unknown reason, GNL and Launcher3 are having issues communicating with eachother.

Upvote 0
You are definitely correct! DU is by far the best ROM... hands down and it only keeps getting better and better with each update that Josh provides for us.

I had a look but I can't seem to find the setting you're on about

Upvote 0
I have been running the lollipop of DU for a little over a week now and while there are some things I don't like such as I cannot seem to get rid of the notification for my voice mail. I have yet to set it up and refuse to do so because someone might actually expect me to call them back. Voice mail for me is not needed. In KitKat I was able to disable it through the phone menu by blocking the number but lollipop doesn't seem to let me do this. :( I don't care for the lock screen still and my issue is I really want to be able to use my widget locker with out unlocking it to go to the other lock screen. I tried to disable it through widget locker but It did not work. The only other issue I have is that in Kitkat I could go into my recovery (TWRP) take screenshots and view them in the ROM. Now if I take a screen shot and go into the ROM to view it there is a blank picture that says failed to load. Not sure why but If I go and restore my KitKat then take the screenshot it will display the pictures then when I restore lollipop they display as they should. But take a screen shot in recovery then load lollipop and it does not get the picture.

The ROM is far smoother than kitkat in my opinion. All my apps run as expected and the ROM feels very clean. Josh and the Team have done a great job with this and I'm glad I waited to try out lollipop when they were ready to present a great ROM. For that I give them my total respect. I admire that they would rather put out a quality ROM than just be the first to put out a buggy ROM just to say we were first.

My Hats off to you :)

Upvote 0
I'm not ready to call this a bug report yet, but I'm getting odd things with the 02/01/2015 update. I did a dirty flash first and my Nexus 5 went batsh@t (couldn't launch settings without using the app icon-- quick toggle shade wouldn't pull down). So I did a clean install and after behaving for a while, I lost my navigation bar. I'm not sure what I did right before that, so I'm going to go back again tomorrow and do another clean install and see if I can figure out what happened. I was in the middle of restoring apps and data using TB so maybe I restored something I shouldn't have. I try going through that routine more slowly and see if I can figure out a culprit.

If something like losing the navigation bar happens again and I can't pinpoint a way to reproduce it, will a logcat still help?

I'm going to keep testing this or maybe just wait for the next test build before I try to report this. It doesn't seem to be happening to anyone else, so it is probably a user error. :rolleyes:

Reactions: lennydude
Upvote 0
Am I losing the plot or did there used to be an option to set separate ringer volume and notification volume?

I think this is a lollipop thing. There is no separate notification volume in settings > sounds & notifications. There is only ringer, media and alarm volume sliders. If you are not playing media or making a phone call, the default behavior of the hardware volume rocker is to adjust notification volume. If you are playing media, the default behavior is media volume and if you are making a phone call, the default behavior of the volume rocker is phone volume.

Now, I thought that has been true of Lollipop all along, but I have been back on DU long enough I can no longer be sure, but that is the behavior now.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones