• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root rom for dedicated gps tracking

Vlar

Lurker
Apr 28, 2012
Been doing alot of hiking/running lately and want to bring my original droid back to life as a gps logger. It won't be used for phone service, only for GPS and a few apps such as google tracks and maybe maps. I've already ordered a Droid2 extended battery, but I think this might be extended further with the right rom/kernel or apps to manage power. I don't care if operating it is like a slideshow so long as it logs for many hours.. any recommendations on what to try?

thanks!

Every phone is different. You're going to just have to experiment. At one time I was getting almost 48 hours out of one charge, though the use was minimal. I cannot remember if it was on a Froyo or Eclair rom.

A couple of my favorite old ones, Sapphire 0.6.2 (Froyo), Krazykrivda's 24k themed Cyanogenmod 5.0.6.x (Eclair), and Droidmod (eclair).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones