1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

rom for dedicated gps tracking

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Vlar, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Vlar

Vlar Lurker

Been doing alot of hiking/running lately and want to bring my original droid back to life as a gps logger. It won't be used for phone service, only for GPS and a few apps such as google tracks and maybe maps. I've already ordered a Droid2 extended battery, but I think this might be extended further with the right rom/kernel or apps to manage power. I don't care if operating it is like a slideshow so long as it logs for many hours.. any recommendations on what to try?

thanks!

2. teddyearp

teddyearp Android Expert

Every phone is different. You're going to just have to experiment. At one time I was getting almost 48 hours out of one charge, though the use was minimal. I cannot remember if it was on a Froyo or Eclair rom.

A couple of my favorite old ones, Sapphire 0.6.2 (Froyo), Krazykrivda's 24k themed Cyanogenmod 5.0.6.x (Eclair), and Droidmod (eclair).

3. ryans

ryans Lurker

I am attempting the same. Have you found any ideal ROMs?

It seems that turning off the phone radio may save some battery life - renaming Phone.apk or using Phone Info, but unfortunately I can't seem to get reliable GPS at that point.

Motorola Droid Forum

The Motorola Droid release date was November 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.7" inch screen, 5MP camera, 256GB RAM, processor, and 1400mAh battery.

November 2009
Release Date
Reviews