1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root rom for dedicated gps tracking

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Vlar, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Vlar

Vlar Lurker
    None

Apr 28, 2012
    Been doing alot of hiking/running lately and want to bring my original droid back to life as a gps logger. It won't be used for phone service, only for GPS and a few apps such as google tracks and maybe maps. I've already ordered a Droid2 extended battery, but I think this might be extended further with the right rom/kernel or apps to manage power. I don't care if operating it is like a slideshow so long as it logs for many hours.. any recommendations on what to try?

thanks!

Advertisement

2. teddyearp

teddyearp Android Expert
    None

May 19, 2010
    Store Manager
    Pinetop, AZ
    Every phone is different. You're going to just have to experiment. At one time I was getting almost 48 hours out of one charge, though the use was minimal. I cannot remember if it was on a Froyo or Eclair rom.

A couple of my favorite old ones, Sapphire 0.6.2 (Froyo), Krazykrivda's 24k themed Cyanogenmod 5.0.6.x (Eclair), and Droidmod (eclair).

3. ryans

ryans Lurker
    None

May 3, 2012
    I am attempting the same. Have you found any ideal ROMs?

It seems that turning off the phone radio may save some battery life - renaming Phone.apk or using Phone Info, but unfortunately I can't seem to get reliable GPS at that point.