1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[ROM][GPL] CELB Froyo 3.6(New governor and loop support added )11-9-10

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Praetorian, Nov 9, 2010.

1. doogald

doogald Extreme Android User

It's a bit different than Sense. Install the Facebook app, login with your account, and the Facebook app itself will give you the option to sync contacts - either sync all of your Facebook contacts, only those that match the contacts already on the phone, or no sync at all.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. paleodust

paleodust Android Expert

In other words, there's really no way to link the accounts superficially..? I thought that was a nice consolidation feature.

3. Podivin

Podivin Android Expert

Is anyone else having less than stellar battery life on this ROM?
    Yesterday I sent a couple of text messages, checked the weather once (was on and off the app in under 5 minutes), read an ebook for about 1/2 hour and was on the phone for about an hour. At 9:00 I noticed the led was blinking, checked and saw that the battery was down to 9% charge. Typically I would still have been around 40% or better with that kind of usage.
    I'd done my normal tweaks to try to improve battery live (no animations, fairly low screen brightness, infrequent syncs - that sort of thing).
    I'd thought it had been a bit lower than normal (10 - 15% lower I thought) when running the ROM the last few days, but hitting 9% last night really surprised me.

4. doogald

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "superficially". The Facebook sync does consolidate your contacts. If you go to settings->accounts&sync, you can see Facebook listed as a sync source as well as your Google account. (This is pretty much the same for a vanilla/AOSP/Cyanogen based ROM.)

5. doogald

You may want to do a full charge, go into Recovery, and wipe battery stats to see if things improve, if you haven't done that already. To be honest, I get the best battery life I get from any ROM that I have tried with CELB, all other things being equal.

6. Podivin

Podivin Android Expert

Silly me, I hadn't thought to wipe the battery stats.
    I'd EXPECTED to get very good life from a Conap ROM, and was surprised when I didn't. I'll give it another shot to see if wiping stats helps it (flashed FroShedYo v5 this morning, but I've got a nand of celb).

7. paleodust

paleodust Android Expert

I was having bad battery drain after wiping the battery stats. However, I installed Autokill (Moderate Preset) and now I'm getting about 4 times the battery life per charge that I was getting on XTRSense! :D

8. paleodust

paleodust Android Expert

Let's say I have a friend named "Robert Smith." Now, let's say his Facebook login is "Billy Bob." Therefore, my contact list has a couple entries.. one from Goolge and one from Facebook.

In Sense, it would allow you to 'connect' them so they would show up as one entry in your contact list rather than two. In fact, you could consolidate more than a couple entries if you wanted. Is that functionality available without Sense?

9. metlcat

metlcat Android Enthusiast

I know you can consolidate and merge contacts in gmail. If you have all your phone contacts sync with gmail you can merge them on your computer and they will update on your phone. I don't know if it will link the facebook profile to the person or if facebook sync will continue to make a different contact, but you could give it a shot.

10. doogald

I believe that the Facebook app connects the contacts by their email address, so as long as that is in your Google contact it should work. I can't check whether you can manually link right now, though, as I am running xtrSENSE at the moment. The next time I start CELB I'll check. I will say this: I never saw a duplicated contact in CELB in all the times that I ran it.

11. ErikForeman

ErikForeman Newbie

I'm still on 2.1, is Froyo really that stable for the Eris? Also is it worth upgrading to a ROM like this?

Can someone hit me with a few pros/cons please?

12. paleodust

paleodust Android Expert

I haven't seen duplicates of the same entry but I have seen multiple entries for the same person listed under different names, one for Facebook and one for Google, for example.

13. BY724

BY724 Well-Known Member

Anyone know how to get the portable wifi hotspot to work?

I keep turning it on and it says error.

14. doogald

The one that is built in to menu->settings? It doesn't work. You need to install a third party app. I believe that this one works: Wireless Tether for Root Users - Android app on AppBrain

15. zerocool79346

zerocool79346 Android Expert

People having battery problems I would be willing to be 99% that your email app is hanging. Mine has a serious problem with hanging when I try to delete an email and not letting the phone sleep. When my email isn't causing a partial wakelock, I'm getting well over 25 hours of battery life, that instantly drops to about 12-15 if email is locking up. The only solution I've found is to kill it using Settings-Apps-Manage and then force close it then re-open it. I've decided to just not delete emails off the phone and that seems to work.

16. thrawn86

thrawn86 Android Enthusiast

it gets worse.

suppose robert smith used to have a yahoo account, then created a facebook account with his school address (and cell number), and then created a new gmail account(with a gv number).

I miss having sense link contacts automatically for me, but it *is* possible in google, its much easier to do on the web interface.

17. zerocool79346

Yeah you can. Go to your contact list, click on the contact you want to join, Menu-Edit Contact-Menu-Join then select the contact you want to join with it from your list and you're done. It's not as user friendly as Sense's way of doing it by any means, but it gets the job done.

paleodust likes this.
  18. paleodust

paleodust Android Expert

Thanks! Is there a way to do it in bulk?

19. zerocool79346

Not that I've found. You just have to depend on the Facebook apps ability to do it on it's own (which is absolutely awful unless the person lists their phone number in their Facebook profile, then it's flawless).

20. paleodust

paleodust Android Expert

I still havent been able to successfullly update any apps that are stored on the SD card without first moving them back to the phone. Is there a trick to it or does it just not work in this ROM?

21. lennyjew

lennyjew Android Enthusiast

I can honestly say I've never had that problem with this rom. Even with apps forced to sd. Widgets and keyboard apps don't seem to like being forced to sd though fyi

22. doogald

The few times that I tried moving apps to SD I had the same problem so I no longer bother trying.

23. thrawn86

ok trying this one out, Tazz has been sucking hard with battery life recently.

welp thats not a good sign. FC on setup, no cell service, reboot and another FC, reboot again and it hard restarts on syncing.

24. doogald

First of all, did you wipe data first? Second, did you flash the google apps package right after flashing CELB and before the first boot?

25. thrawn86

of course. no idea what went wrong but I reflashed and it seems to work fine now. setup still FCed but I restarted and it went through.

HTC Droid Eris Forum

The HTC Droid Eris release date was November 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.2" inch screen, 5MP camera, 288GB RAM, MSM7600 processor, and 1300mAh battery.

November 2009
Release Date
Reviews