• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root <ROM> Gravity Smart 4/2/2012

After a little experimentation, it seems that what fixed the Search key was re-including the GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk as a system file. Apparently, it doesn't latch into the right spots if it's not in /system. Weird.

I've also decided to re-odex the ROM. The reason is that the deodexed system frameworks/APKs end up eating nearly twice as much space compared to the odexed version. It's the same issue you run into with installing apps from the Store, except you can't symlink them with Link2SD because they're system apps (technically you can -try- but it doesn't work too well).

After re-odexing, rebooting, and launching every app at least once.. Settings > SD card and phone storage reports 120MB free. :)

I'm going to post the odexed version as version 1.25 tomorrow.

Upvote 0
Weird. I went through the steps again on my SD card to make absolutely sure everything worked (and to get all the screenshots ^_^).

A few questions:
- Are you using the stock microSD card or a third party card?
- Are you using a dedicated microSD reader, or are you using an adapter?
- If you are using an adapter, is it the one that came with the SD card?
- After partitioning & formatting the card, eject the card (using Windows "Safely remove Hardware" tool) and then remove/reinsert the card. Does Windows see the FAT32 partition properly?

Upvote 0
gblues,

Answers to your questions:
A few questions:
- Are you using the stock microSD card or a third party card? MicroSD Card 8GB
- Are you using a dedicated microSD reader, or are you using an adapter? The phone itself is being used to read the card connected via USB cable.
- If you are using an adapter, is it the one that came with the SD card? No adapter came with the card.
- After partitioning & formatting the card, eject the card (using Windows "Safely remove Hardware" tool) and then remove/reinsert the card. Does Windows see the FAT32 partition properly? Once the card is acknowledged by the Partitioning Program, it no longer appears in the Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media list.

Upvote 0
I have found a viable solution for those without a dedicated card reader.

1. Install the ROM first, following the instructions listed
  2. From the Market renamed Play Store search for and download "Root All To SD" (referenced as Root All hereafter).
  3. Open Root All and wait for it to complete loading of your card.
  4. Press the Options key and select Storage.
  5. Press the Options key again and select Create Storage.
    -It defaults as 512 MB, but this can be adjusted to be higher or lower. I would recommend the size listed in the partitioning guide above (525 at least).
  6. After complete, return to the first screen, and press the Options key.
  7. Select Apps.
  8. Find and Select the app whose data you want on the memory card.
  9. You can either select pieces individually, but for the sake of keeping things together, we'll move pieces together so press the Options key and choose All.
  10. Choose "Select All Moveable".
  11. Press Options, then All.
  12. Choose "Move Selected".
This will move all files pertaining to that app to your card through the Superuser function.

Now some on the market have mentioned an inability to load their SD Card when wanting to transfer files. Unfortunately, since I did not create this program, it's a POS, but it can the job done with certain EXTRA measures.

1. Open Root All
  2. Press Options, then select Options.
  3. Uncheck "Mount on boot"
  4. To load files, power off your phone and then back on and connect via USB.
  5. After the files are moved, open Root All, press Options, then Storage. After it reloads, press Options then Mount.
Not to worry, I'm working on my own program currently to rectify this issue so the dropped ball doesn't stay laying on the field.

Upvote 0
I followed the instructions to locate the ROM, it works well. However, I still encounter "insufficient space" issue after installing a couple of apps although I assumed this ROM with an link2sd'ed ext2 partition on SD card would solve the "insufficient space" issues. What else should I do to work around the space issue? Thank.

Upvote 0
I followed the instructions to locate the ROM, it works well. However, I still encounter "insufficient space" issue after installing a couple of apps although I assumed this ROM with an link2sd'ed ext2 partition on SD card would solve the "insufficient space" issues. What else should I do to work around the space issue? Thank.

The phone has a tiny 20MB cache partition. If you are trying to download apps that are larger than 20MB from the Android Market (AKA "Google Play"), you will still get the "insufficient space" error even though the settings screens show tons of room. I've personally encountered this with "Angry Birds Space" although I'm sure there's plenty others.

Fortunately, the Amazon App store is not affected by this problem so I would try there for your larger app needs.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
hi. thanks for the info..anyway my phone now only picks up edge signal..how do i get it to pickup 3G? i have tried disabling "2gonly"but still.just get the edge network. all networks in my country support 3g

If you are using Arhtard's rom, I would ask you to direct further replies to the thread for his rom. But I would try switching your SIM with a known-good phone and see if the problem follows the SIM or not. Neither my nor Arhtard's ROM makes any changes to the kernel, so your connectivity should be exactly the same as stock.

Upvote 0
If you are using Arhtard's rom, I would ask you to direct further replies to the thread for his rom. But I would try switching your SIM with a known-good phone and see if the problem follows the SIM or not. Neither my nor Arhtard's ROM makes any changes to the kernel, so your connectivity should be exactly the same as stock.

am using your rom already. is it possible that you can add the feature of forcing to use 3g only? I have this feature on my xperia x10 mini pro. Or the feature where I can select to use 3G when am using packet data, and switch back to 2g when I disable packet data. this functionality is also available on the custom rom on my xperia. Its however not available on the stock rom. so i thought you might be able to do it with your rom. am suffering from terrible download speed of apps.

and lastly, where can i find the apk of files that i downloaded from play store? on Arthads rom, I was able to find them using file expert i think. i then I could copy them to PC for backup.

I also tested all my sim cards in my n97 mini. i get 3G on all 3 of them.

Upvote 0
That kind of thing is relegated to full-blown custom ROMs (i.e. CyanogenMod), which mine is not. At least, not yet.

The easiest way to back up your apps is with Titanium Backup, free on the Google Play store. I don't include it with my ROM because Android won't erase apps in the /system folder and so when stock apps get updates, they end up taking 2x the space (the stock version + the updated version). The only non-stock app I include is Link2SD because it's so intrinsic to getting the most out of the phone.

Upvote 0
hi...i pressed *#*#4636*#*.. i found settings for enabling 3G only (wcdma). How do I make the changes permanent? Would you know how I can Do that? I also have a samsung Galaxy S T959D. its also not getting 3G.

I discovered from the Stickers on the phone, beneath the battery, that both phones are made in korea. Where is your from? and is there a way I can read the figures of the 3G frequency supported by the phone? there a code I caan enter to read this, or a software that can retrieve them from the phone?

Upvote 0
gblues, thanks so much for this great ROM! I just have one question. Do you know where I can download Swype keyboard to install it? That's the only thing you removed that I find I really need on here. I know the guy who made the other ROM has a download available for all of the APKs that he removed from the stock ROM, might be worth setting up for yours as well. Anyway, thanks again, you really helped me out with this amazing ROM.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones