• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM] GummyJAR 2.5 - 12/28/10

my phone is screwed up right now. i tried to boot into recovery and it started to boot then shut off. now it doesnt even try to boot into recovery. when i hit power key it doesnt do anything. if i plug it into the wall it will give me the motorola screen but it will not change. i had it like that for over an hour. i cant use sbf if i cant get into recovery. Is it bricked? should i get a new one? my wife is gonna kill me when she finds out how much it will cost.

Upvote 0
You can still SBF if you can't boot.

"5. Put your Motorola Droid X in bootloader mode. Now connect the Droid X via usb.
Note: Bootloader Mode is accessed by first powering down the phone. Then, hold down the camera button, volume decrease button, and power button. This should bring you to a completely black screen with white text on it."

Reactions: hunterwrot
Upvote 0
Wow, sorry about that.... fell asleep on the couch. Sounds like the phone is certainly bricked, I'm wondering if it didn't run out of juice while you were flashing a ROM or something? I know that will brick it. But I wouldn't give up hope on it yet. Do you have an external charger? If so charge your battery in it and try doing the sbf from scratch, and make sure you're on the right kernel.

Sbf is specifically designed to get your phone out of the state it's in at the moment. I have heard of very few cases where the phone was complete toast. I'm off to bed for now though, good luck my guy.

Reactions: hunterwrot
Upvote 0
Wow, sorry about that.... fell asleep on the couch. Sounds like the phone is certainly bricked, I'm wondering if it didn't run out of juice while you were flashing a ROM or something? I know that will brick it. But I wouldn't give up hope on it yet. Do you have an external charger? If so charge your battery in it and try doing the sbf from scratch, and make sure you're on the right kernel.

Sbf is specifically designed to get your phone out of the state it's in at the moment. I have heard of very few cases where the phone was complete toast. I'm off to bed for now though, good luck my guy.

Hey thanks for all your help. I finally figured out how to get into the boot with the droid and asterisk. So now all i need to do is figure out how to do sbf and im money. I think. Ill let you know how it goes.

Upvote 0
Just a quick update with my messaging situation:

I flashed Fission and it had the same problem - after a restore, Messaging was completely screwed. I nandroided back to my last working set up and went to data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/ and copied the "databases" folder to my SDcard. I then reflashed GummyJar and just overwrote the databases in the same directory with mine. Worked perfectly. This is now how I will back up all my texts.

Upvote 0
I've tried Fission and Apex prior to the recent Moto upgrade, and after the upgrade I've tried Apex and this ROM. This one.. FLIES. Apex has a better support group (Fab is awesome, as are his ROM's users) and is a little better in the theme department, but I'm really enjoying the added speed/smoothness of this one and the animation effects.

Tomorrow's full day's worth of use will provide a good comparison with battery use.

Upvote 0
You certainly can't knock Fab's work/support/attitude/genius.... he's one hell of a dev and all around guy. The fact that I prefer GummyJAR over Apex has nothing to do with him and everything to do with the way my phone reacts to the two ROMs. Apex, while WAY faster/smoother than stock, just isn't as fast on MY phone as GummyJAR is. On other peoples phones.... well I can't comment on that because I don't have anyone elses phone to compare them on. But on my device, GummyJAR is much slicker.

If Apex was as fast/faster, then I wouldn't care how much blur was left in it. But it seems my device just doesn't react well to blur. Kinda strange I know, but I was one of those guys experiencing MAJOR lag from day one when everyone else (non-rooted) seemed to be singing the praises of how fast their device was. I did a lot of things to improve the lag on my DX (Autokiller, SetCPU, OC, etc...), but nothing could prepare me for the way my phone reacted to Ultimate Droid! My God man, it was like someone broke the chain to the anchor holding my phone back and AWAY SHE WENT!!! Soooooo enlightening, I finally knew what everyone else was experiencing. My phone seemed to know what my finger was going to do, before my finger did. Amazing, such an incredible transformation. I was super bummed that UD wasn't ready for everyday use, but man oh man did it ever show me that there was an entirely new and better world out there waiting for me.

So next up I tried Apex, and a lot of the lag came back, but certainly not all of it. GummyJAR is somewhere between those two ROMs on my device. I'm still holding out for UDX or Obsidian to get their bugs worked out, because I still miss that ultra responsiveness feeling that ROM gives my device. So no offense to Fab, he certainly lives up to his name. But my device craves less blur. If he came out with a blurless Apex, I'd be all over it forsure!

Upvote 0
I don't see the whole deal with wanting blur-less. The blur alarm is better as is the blur dialer, because it has smart dial. To each his own though. (I'm a Sense UI lover too). Seriously, if you are a no blur person, you gotta try this brother, k?

I like the blur-less for the speed! Im gonna download this ROM right now.

Quick question for those running it.

Can I restore my apps with TIBU and NOT have any problems? Or do I gotta do it all from scratch from the market?

Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0
Blur is the skin Motorola stretches over Android. HTC stretches Sense over Android. Samsung stretches TouchWiz over Android... I think the only phones that have vanilla Android are the Nexus 1/2 and the G1/2. You'll hear the term 'vanilla Android' thrown around, that means the Android OS without a skin stretched over it.

A blurless ROM (like GummyJAR) is a ROM that's taken all of the blur elements out of the equasion. A blur ROM (like Apex) is a balance between vanilla Android, and the blur elements that the dev feels are ok to run.

Personally I think it's sad that they do this with Android. If/when Verizon gets the iPhone, they won't be stretching any skins over that OS. I've never seen a skin stretched over a WinMobile OS. But they are aloud to do so with Android, so they do. And IMO it greatly detracts from the OS.

AOSP is Android Open Source Project.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones