• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM] Harmonia 3.17 17Nov12 (ICS\Sense 3.6)

I am new to the Evo V and to Harmonia; I just got my phone on Monday and I have been running this ROM since Friday. I like it so far... but today I have been noticing some problems.

I am unable to make calls unless I am connected to 3G or WiFi. When I woke up this morning, I turned on the 3G and all of last night's text messages came through, and they weren't MMS or anything... so I was unable to receive them until being connected to the 3G.

Can anyone help?

PS: I have a Sprint branded phone.

Edit: Seems to be working now, but I didn't change anything -- doesn't explain the malfunctioning just a few minutes ago. Is this a common problem?
It's not so much the rom as an issue with the phones firmware.
http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-v-...n-everyone-phone-directly-htc-escalation.html
http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-v-4g/577024-radio-interface-resource-shortage-fix.html
http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-v-4g/595434-interface-resource-shortage-what-how-deal.html

And the best way to fix it if you don't want to wait for HTC is here:
http://androidforums.com/evo-v-4g-a...ng-turning-your-phone-into-evo-3d-thread.html

Upvote 0
Thanks, I do plan on S-OFFing and completing the steps in that thread.

I have another question - I installed Harmonia by starting with the rooted stock rom (odex I think). I used 4-EXT and did factory reset, cache & dalvik, then installed the zip (without extracting the boot img).

Now, I'd like to install mobster's kernel. Can I do it now somehow? (it gives me an error when I try). Or do I need to factory reset and flash it the same time as the rom? Do I flash it right before or right after installing the rom?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Now, I'd like to install mobster's kernel. Can I do it now somehow? (it gives me an error when I try). Or do I need to factory reset and flash it the same time as the rom? Do I flash it right before or right after installing the rom?

Do a full wipe and clean install. I have flashed 2.89 over MeanROM after installing and didn't have any problems. However, mikeyxda recommends "If you have any trouble at all, do a super wipe and then install the above firmware and this ROM". I'd say the same would apply with Harmonia + Power Kernel.

Upvote 0
Just tried 3.15 with 3.1.1 anthrax the first time but I think I ran into a problem. After a while my phone runs out of memory and slows down completely. It said I have 30mb left which is weird because I used Midnight Rom for a while and it never went under 190mb. What causes it? Anthrax?

I just installed anthrax 3.1.1 today on harmonia 3.15; i haven't seen any memory problems or reboots yet. Mostly did it so i could get the sweep2wake function on the capacitative buttons. The evo's physical buttons are pretty crappy to me.

Upvote 0
ok I figured it out. it had to do something with 3.1.1 kernel and zram. I flashed 3.1.6 with zram off and now I have 280-290mb free ram all the time.

Same here. No problems with 3.1.6 and just flashed 3.1.7 this morning. IMO, Harmonia is a great match with an evolving kernel like Anthrax because it's barebones and stable. You don't have to worry about a wacky ROM and kernel introducing problems at the same time.

Upvote 0
My only issue with Anthrax is that the phone runs a bit hotter, not burning up, just warm. It runs fast and battery life is fine, but it's always warm to the touch no matter what is being used.

Using SetCPU and a widget to watch the cpu scaling, I can get it to where it doesn't run as hot by changing the speeds and power profiles, but by the time I get it running as cool as the Power Kernel or stock, it runs like a dog. It's an awesome kernel, I just wish it ran a bit cooler.

Upvote 0
My only issue with Anthrax is that the phone runs a bit hotter, not burning up, just warm. It runs fast and battery life is fine, but it's always warm to the touch no matter what is being used.

Using SetCPU and a widget to watch the cpu scaling, I can get it to where it doesn't run as hot by changing the speeds and power profiles, but by the time I get it running as cool as the Power Kernel or stock, it runs like a dog. It's an awesome kernel, I just wish it ran a bit cooler.

I had the same problem then I used system tuner to undervolt the cpu. Since then it runs cool.(@1.35)

Upvote 0
Nice work with the Rom. Hopefully (if and) when VM updates are ever released they can be easily applied to the Rom itself. Would hate to have to do undo all the work just to go back to stock.

While I can't see any immediate speed improvements, it's likely due to the fact that I tweaked the hell out of stock myself, anyway. (Used Zeam, disabled all animations, removed all stock apps that didn't need to be there, etc)

I had to install the Rom because I needed to do the radio fixes. Got trapped in a boot loop even despite clearing all caches in recovery.

Just wanted to ask about one issue and offer a suggestion on another.

Ask: I seem to get connection timeouts on Wifi often. These timeouts end up killing cellular as well. While I was dealing with Direct-to-Voicemail-on-Wifi with Stock, the end result seems to be the same here... except that toggling Airplane mode DOES NOT seem to allow me to have a connection again. Either with Wifi *or* 3G. Have bars, no data transfer possible. Reboot has been the only way for me to get a working data connection again when I run into this issue. Any idea what this one's about?

Suggest: Remove the semi-gradients in buttons or flatten the color. Screenshot provided of where this is an issue in the Settings > Apps screen. The button texts (regardless of color) are especially hard to read with the shades used. Especially when you set the phone to 10% brightness indoors like I do.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/21271914/2012-08-14 23.28.27.png

Edit: I also notice that the Rom tends to run a bit heavier than stock when it comes to memory usage despite having less apps installed. Caching or just something else going on?

Upvote 0
Just wanted to ask about one issue and offer a suggestion on another.
Not sure what is up with wifi, but it happens on a few roms.

I'm not happy with the buttons either.

As for memory...
Contrary to what many people think, using less memory isn't always better. If you have memory, why not use it to speed things up? Do you really want it starving itself or would you rather have it use what you have?

Upvote 0
Contrary to what many people think, using less memory isn't always better. If you have memory, why not use it to speed things up? Do you really want it starving itself or would you rather have it use what you have?

I must admit, I never thought about it that way before. My instinct has always been "check the RAM and make sure I have as much free as possible"

Upvote 0
Yeah, pretty much any modern OS should be using free RAM for prefetching, pagefile/virtual memory, etc. Since there's virtually no downtime required to re-allocate that RAM when it is needed for something, there's no reason not to keep it busy in the background.

Question: it seems that the lockscreen included with Harmonia doesn't display the next upcoming alarm. Is that correct, or is there a setting somewhere I missed to turn that on? If that is, in fact, missing from the included lockscreen, can anyone recommend a custom lockscreen that plays nice with the rest of Harmonia and that can show the next alarm time?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones