1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root rom ignorant person looking for advice

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ewebb42, Oct 11, 2011.

1. ewebb42

ewebb42 Lurker
    None

Oct 11, 2011
    Im completely new to the whole rooting and rom thing but i wanted to try on my thunderbolt because im not happy with it now. im getting it rooted today and i was wondering which of the roms are good for some one who just kinda wants something cool and better then the original one. i also dont like the sense thing very much as i never use it and it gets annoying. increased battery life would be a giant plus too i have the extended battery but would love to go back to a regular one if thats at all possible.

If anyone could help me out at all i would greatly appreciate it because i pretty much have no clue whats going on with roms.

Advertisement

2. Danny_Boy82

Danny_Boy82 Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 14, 2011
    ATX
    ewebb42 likes this.
  3. Turdbogls

Turdbogls Android Expert
    None

Jul 22, 2010
    Designer/Drafter
    O-town Florida
    yup, your best bet is to try out a few different ones, and give them a few days to see if you like them.

as for battery life, you are going to see a mixed bag. for some AOSP is great for battery. not so much for me. i am lucky to get 10 hours out of a stock battery on any of the AOSP (sense-less) ROMs.
    where as i get at LEAST 10 hours out of most Sense ROM's.

the general concensus is Bamf Roms for sense, and CM7 for AOSP. but like i said, some may work better or have better features for you outside of those 2.

my only suggestion is this: get titanium backup Pro, and Set CPU. those are MUST haves with a rooted phone.
    also make sure you have all your contact backed up with your google account.

and last but not least, make sure you are willing to put in the time for this phone. i have a buddy that wanted to root his phone...he couldn't even give me a straight answer as to why. so i helped him do it, and flash his first ROM. and he never touched it again. he restored his apps, and he was done. never bought the other apps, never flashed his other ROM options, never overclocked/underclocked, never themed, nothing. needless to say, i put the phone back to stock after 2 months because he wasnt happy with something about it that was easily changed with a simple flash.

ewebb42 likes this.
  4. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    From what you said it sounds like you may want to check out an AOSP rom, it is not sense based but rather based on google's source code so you don't have any of the interlaced HTC bloatsoftware that comes stock.

This is good advice, I don't agree with the better battery on Sense compared to AOSP but everything else is spot on, I even bolded the most important part. You said you were getting it rooted, that makes me think you aren't doing it yourself. If that is the case then I suggest thinking about not rooting.

Unless you are comfortable with technology and willing to put ample time towards actually working on your phone and learning the things you should before plunging into it headfirst then it isn't for you, getting root access isn't like trying out a new app, it isn't something that is easily reversible, it is something that can allow you to make your phone a brick, and it is something that will allow you to change things on your phone you didn't think you could. That said unless you can put the commitment into learning how to properly do things with it then there is no reason to root, I am not trying to scare you off by any means, just trying to save you headaches :D

Danny_Boy82 and ewebb42 like this.
  5. Pred-a-tor

Pred-a-tor Member
    None

Aug 20, 2011
    I kind of disagree a little bit with Yeahha (that may be grounds for banishment from this forum LOL) but I really don't think you need to commit that much time to your phone to root and rom. This assumes you are of average techie aptitude and can search this forum to anwers when or if you have any issues. If you flash your first rom and you get all you were looking for out of it, well I think that's great. A little boring for my taste, but it's your dang phone and if you're satisfied that's all that is important. Personally I get renewed pleasure each time I flash a new rom and it's a big part of the fun of having a new toy to play with. I'm a first time rooter who has been rooted for a little over a month and it makes my enjoyment of the phone increase exponentially. I was apprehensive about the whole rooting process but the great people and help you'll find here are both top notch. Since I've rooted this is the #1 website I visit by a margin of 100 to 1.

6. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    How dare you disagree with me :p

I may have overstated the need to devote time to learning what you are doing, if you are already familiar with consumer electronics and are comfortable manipulating things having to deal with technology as well as following directions then rooting and rom-ing will be easy for you. From what you just posted Pred-a-tor you have done research here on your own or posting to get answers to your questions. You may have failed to see the frantic posts where people didn't bother to do so and have an issue that is easy to avoid or easy to fix but they have done screwed with stuff they don't know about and make the problem 10x worse.

I just think that new rooters need to understand rooting is not like trying out a new app or theme that you can undo with a few presses but an actual commitment.

And feel free to disagree with me all you want, I would be bored here if everyone just agreed with everything I said, after all I am not that important :D

Danny_Boy82 and ewebb42 like this.
  7. ewebb42

ewebb42 Lurker
    None

Oct 11, 2011
    Thanks to everyone who replied I talked to the guy who rooted it for me and he gave me a rom that he said is good. i watched him root and flash the rom to my phone so i am definitely not gonna stick with one rom i just needed a little help getting started and learning some basics.

Now the happy owner of a rooted HTC Thunderbolt :D

8. Pred-a-tor

Pred-a-tor Member
    None

Aug 20, 2011
    What would some of you guys do if you couldn't help the frantic the ones! LOL. Heck, the only smart phone experience before I rooted was installing new apps. But being an analytical person (mechanical engineer) I usually don't get into something where I could maul my equipment without doing a little research first. I just wanted to encourage those with the desire to improve their phone experience but are on the fence. The rooting world is in HD while stock is like watching black and white on an old Zenith 19" TV.

9. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    Way to go, your cigar and blazer are on the table. As for help read the stickies about the terms and how to flash a rom, it really isn't that difficult and once you flash one the instructions will make much more sense. Feel free to post here if you have any questions about the process or run into any kinks along the way. Again I wasn't trying to scare you off or make you second guess yourself about rooting, just trying to set realistic expetations.

If there were never any frantic posts/threads here I would grow bored and post in more of the forum games :eek: You and your experience proves my warning, you were willing to do a little research first and not dive in with a blindfold on. With revolutionary everyone can root their phone easily but knowing what you need to do in order to ensure safety when flashing requires a little leg work to avoid issues down the line.