• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rom install problems!!

daddyAJ

Lurker
Sep 1, 2011
I know I rooted my phone correctly, but for some reason, ROMs will not flash to my phone correctly. I've tried LTB 2.6, 2.5 and LGS 1.6, and neither of them will flash right. My phone either freezes in the set-up screen or freezes on the lockscreen. It also freezes when I overclock it. any suggestions?

you are not giving nearly enuff information.

in general i suggest:
-DO NOT use rom manager,use clockwork or twrp recovery
-make sure you wipe data/factory reset,wipe cache,and wipe dalvik cache before flashing a new rom
-i personally dont like to download roms to my phone,but alot of people do do it that way. if you do want to download to your phone,use the phones browser,not rom manager.
-make sure you have verified the md5 sum of your rom download before flashing it

have you tried pulling the battery and letting it boot again? now and them my phone will freeze at the lockscreen,and the 2nd time its always fine.

some phones are just more tolerant of overclocking and/or undervolting than others. the generaly accepted "safe" upper limit is 1.4,but your phone may be different. have you tried to change voltages too,or just processor speed? i personally do not OC or UV at all.

Reactions: trapperjohn
Upvote 0
okay ill admit, i'm not the most technologically savvy person in the world, which explains my lack of detail. However, I followed the youtube video for the "long" way to root my phone with mt FIRST thunderbolt, and it worked perfectly for ALL the ROMs i installed (both through clockworkmod recovery and rom manager) . My first thunderbolt's screen cracked, so I had to get a new one. I used the EXACT same method to achieve root with my SECOND thunderbolt, except this time I am having all of those issues.

I am wiping everything through clockworkmod recovery every time i try and install or re-install a ROM to get rid of those problems, but they keep on coming back. Like I said, i NEVER had problems with any ROMs on my first thunderbolt, and its really frustrating that i have no idea whats going on.

Upvote 0
rather than make a new thread, i going to post my similar (somewhat) issue in this one. i was running cm 7 rc.1.6.1 (i belive that's the second to newest one) and went to flash the newest one from rom manager but ended up getting stuck at the HTC screen on boot up. then on top of that, for whatever reason, i was unable to restore my nandroid back up to do "/system" being unable to restore. ended up having to download my previous version of cm onto my sd in order to even get my phone to work normally again. my questions: why was i unable to restore my nandroid back ups, and why won't the newest rc work on my phone? i didn't clear data because i've always been under the impression that it wasn't necesarry when just updating a rom :/ any answers are appreciated. i wouldn't consider myself completely new to rooting but i never really venture out of rom manager due to its convenience.

Upvote 0
Rom manager is your issue. You do not know what it is doing, if you download a rom/kernel/theme/gapps via rom manager it does not check the MD5 to make sure the file is not corrupted. Then you use it to flash a rom. How do you know it is wiping everything correctly and making good backups. You don't. If you are going to bother rooting the phone do not rely on an app to do all the messing around for you. You should devote the half an hour it takes to read what you need to do in CWM to flash a rom properly, and then use that knowledge.
/rant about all the recent issues with peole using rom manager, nothing against you personally nateap87 ;) there have just been a LOT of issues recently with people using that app

Also unless the dev specifically states that you do not need to wipe upon updating from version x to version y then you need to wipe. Sometimes even when they say you don't have to you may find it better if you wipe.

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
well thank you for the rant. i never really looked at it that way. i just use rom manager because it's just so damn convenient. i'll go ahead and try downloading the rom directly from the dev's site. however, i don't know where to typically get the gapps from :/ also, what method would you use to back up your current rom? i usually just manually do it through recovery.sd

Upvote 0
I do it manually as well. I use TWRP instead of CWM. If you recently changed to the most recent CWM then I *believe* old backups may not work because it changed the format the backups were made in. Once you have a copy of Gapps you can keep it on your SD card (or just flash the market and download the other gapps you want I think that will work). There are usually links to gapps in the OP of roms that need them, some OMFGB roms have links to download gapps in god mode. Again the rant wasn't just towards you or your issue but the fact that people are so reliant on rom manager, because when something goes wrong it is much easier to fix if you know how to do stuff manually and don't need that crutch

Upvote 0
whatever volcano!

i also prefer TWRP. in my case,i just have a distrust of clockwork,after what happened with the eris. bad flashes destroyed partitions and bricked several phones that never were recovered. also,recently,the clockwork was sending the charge into an almost unrecoverable bootloop when they tried to restore backups :eek: nothing against koush hes done alot for the rooted community. im sure our clockwork is safe,and i wont encourage people not to use it,but i personally prefer to use Amon Ra recoverys(when available) or TWRP.

even if it werent for any of that,emo horse is reason enuff to use it. clockwork doesnt have any emo anything,or even any normal horses :D

i also agree 100% with everything said about rom manager. even when it works correctly,it is an APP in working ROM. it will not always be there for you to use. clockwork recovery is much safer,and more reliable.

the last couple days ive been messing with a droid 2. those who have the pleasure of the TB being their first smartphone/android/rooted device,you really need to mess with a locked down moto to appreciate what we have here-the ability to load anything we want thru bootloader,and a nice solid recovery that is always there :eek:;)

Upvote 0
I found out that my ROMs were flashing wrong because I was using the newer, more experimental version of CWM recovery (5.0 or some shit). Apparently it still has a ways to go before anybody uses it lol. If youre having this same problem, just flash an older version of CWM recovery using ROM Manager (it's the last option on the ROM Manager main screen)

But thanks for your guys' help!!

Upvote 0
thats another thing i never really understood how to do. What/ how am i supposed to compare them to the REAL one that I need???

I don't think this was answered. If you download the rom from a thread the dev usually posts the real MD5. You can copy/paste it in a notepad then use something like AFV and get the MD5 of the file you download, it will auto copy it, just paste it in the notepad below the other one and compare.

Glad you got the OP issue figured out ;)

Upvote 0
okay ill admit, i'm not the most technologically savvy person in the world, which explains my lack of detail. However, I followed the youtube video for the "long" way to root my phone with mt FIRST thunderbolt, and it worked perfectly for ALL the ROMs i installed (both through clockworkmod recovery and rom manager) . My first thunderbolt's screen cracked, so I had to get a new one. I used the EXACT same method to achieve root with my SECOND thunderbolt, except this time I am having all of those issues.

I am wiping everything through clockworkmod recovery every time i try and install or re-install a ROM to get rid of those problems, but they keep on coming back. Like I said, i NEVER had problems with any ROMs on my first thunderbolt, and its really frustrating that i have no idea whats going on.

Did you ever find a solution, I am in the same boat. I used the same method I used on the first to root.
forums.androidcentral.com/thunderbolt-rooting-roms-hacks /71919-mac-procedure-how-root-htc-thunderbolt.html
Did Wipe, clear , Dlavik, MD5 checking on all my files

Then I used this link
androidforums.com/thunderbolt-all-things-root/ 399960-radios-recoveries-hboot-updated-9-24-a.html

Ver 4 and 3 say it can't see the system.img , etc...

Downloading each Recovery checking md5, I see that my restore says it is complete but when I reboot it is stuck on the HTC Screen. I couldn't do a TiBackup on old phone because the screen cracked. So I have clockwork recovery backup but I can seems to restore it.

Is there any way I can recovery my Data by loading Skyraider rom and some how restore data apps in Clock work recovery or am screwed?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones